What RPM setting you like for mowing - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: What RPM setting you like for mowing

1. Top | #21
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:48 PM
    Thanks
    Yea I textbook mow pretty much. Throttle down to hit the button to engage. Throttle up to the yellow gear display (3100-3150) and mow. Feels like plenty of power to mow my stuff. Iím on a level lot, and mow regularly, so not much of a hassle for my 60D. Iím still getting all the rocks and roots out of my yard, and clearing other areas and planting seed, so my blades look like a failed knife on Forged in Fire. They would ask me to leave the forge....anyhoo, recommended rpm works for me. Also, keep those pulleys greased.
    etcallhome and bama1025r like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #22
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:39 PM
    Thanks
    3000rpm with Gator blades and the MCS 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    chex313 and PJR832 like this.
    You can follow my little homestead on Instagram @Trolladyfarmhomestead

4. Top | #23

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:17 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    We are flip flopping back and forth between engine RPM's and PTO RPM's in the comments.

I mow at 3,200 engine RPM's to get 540 rear PTO speed and the proper Mid PTO speed, 2,100 RPM's. My tractor's tach has the little "PTO symbol" at 3,200 RPM's, which is the targeted engine speed to spin either PTO shaft at its optimal speed for those implements.

The faster the blade speed, the better the clipping dispersion, the greater the grass lift and the better the cut.

As far as the diesel "tone" or engine sound, I wear hearing protection and Guns and Roses and Ac/Dc sound good at any RPM in my ear buds under the ear muffs blocking out the machine sound........after you have used your machine long enough, you can actually "feel" the machines performance and function. In a strange way, blocking out the operating sound allows me to be more in touch with the machines actual operation. Plus you feel the machines operational rotation and can tell when something isn't right.
    Good post! I put ear plugs in but no music. I like to hear myself think when mowing for some odd reason...

chex313 likes this.
    3046r Cab, H165 w/61" bucket, Frontier 72"BB, MX6, and Woods TCR68" Tiller.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #24
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:40 AM
    Thanks
    CarolDeere - I play in the LCUT 4-series world. I have a mid mount pto and the switch, but elected to opt for a rear mount PTO Rear Mount rear discharge finishing mower in lieu of a mid mount mower deck . If I were running a hand scythe, weed whip or garden shears, I always favor dry grass, very sharp blades, and the highest blade tip speed reasonably practicable. In my case, about 2200 engine RPM, which is 80% or more of 540 RPM rear PTO speed.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaDeere View Post
    1023e with 54" deck...assuming flat ground and "normal" yard mowing (not heavy or wet) - any favorite RPM setting? I've settled in at about 2250 or 2300 and it never seems to bog or work hard even up hills.

Not sure there's any magic to it, just curious and wanted to ask. Only 5 hours on the machine so far
    PJR832 likes this.
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

7. Top | #25

Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 12:52 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the great replies guys. I was thinking the grass looked good, and was just scaling back the rpms to take it easier - but see that it's not necessary.

This is what I appreciate about the forum. Simple discussion ...but you always pick up something new like "dont forget the belts" and: why? Because of grass lift...

I usually follow the manual yes - but it's like having a cup of coffee with about 15 of us, and tapping the wisdom of everyone. Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    We are flip flopping back and forth between engine RPM's and PTO RPM's in the comments.

I mow at 3,200 engine RPM's to get 540 rear PTO speed and the proper Mid PTO speed, 2,100 RPM's. My tractor's tach has the little "PTO symbol" at 3,200 RPM's, which is the targeted engine speed to spin either PTO shaft at its optimal speed for those implements.

The faster the blade speed, the better the clipping dispersion, the greater the grass lift and the better the cut.

As far as the diesel "tone" or engine sound, I wear hearing protection and Guns and Roses and Ac/Dc sound good at any RPM in my ear buds under the ear muffs blocking out the machine sound........after you have used your machine long enough, you can actually "feel" the machines performance and function. In a strange way, blocking out the operating sound allows me to be more in touch with the machines actual operation. Plus you feel the machines operational rotation and can tell when something isn't right.
    rjpoog1989 likes this.

8. Top | #26
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks
    I go by the ,ĒptoĒ mark on the gauge. I donít over complicate it or try to reinvent the manufacturers recommended speed. Itís there for a reason. Usually when I try to reinvent the wheel, it wobbles.
    Kennyd and jdforever like this.
    2016-1025 FILB, 54" FEL, 54" Front Blower, 54" MMM, Brush Guards, Front and rear LED work lights
    BXpanded-backhoe thumb, bucket teeth, backhoe dolly
    Kens hooks w/ shackles (3 on Bucket), Diff Lock Pedal, backhoe steps
    Artillian Blinders
    Bush hog SBX 480 box blade, BX 600 box Blade
    Frontier LR2060L landscape Rake w/ gauge wheels, subsoiler
    Woods RBC 60 Rear Blade
    Land Pride QH-15 quick hitch
    Everything Attachments 60" Pine Needle Raked
    Garber Easy Seed 60" drop spreader

9. Top | #27

Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 12:52 PM
    Thanks
    True. In most cases that's correct. I was wondering at first if the PTO mark was an upper limit, or a "use this always"

Quote Originally Posted by Firemark View Post
    I go by the ,”pto” mark on the gauge. I don’t over complicate it or try to reinvent the manufacturers recommended speed. It’s there for a reason. Usually when I try to reinvent the wheel, it wobbles.

10. Top | #28

Last Online
    12-04-2019 @ 12:43 PM
    Thanks
    WOT gets me in the PTO zone

11. Top | #29
    BWV
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:22 AM
    Thanks
    I question everything... sometimes I disagree with the OEM recommendations, but most times I just do it.

I've had discussion with friends before, who have outright told me I was abusing my equipment by mowing with the throttle so high and travel speed so fast.
    (My 318.. the book said put it on the Bunny, my 1023e the book says 2100 PTO.. I did, and do, that mowing, because I want it cut as fast as the machine is designed to cut.)

My answer to this is that the engineers at John Deere have spent millions of dollars researching and developing systems to cut grass for years... I quit high school... who am I to question this?
    And then I ask my friend if he thinks he knows more than their team of engineers does...he shrugs...

Now.. to be honest, this particular friend is wicked smart... and he probably does, or could have better answers than they do... but I don't give a squirt about that, I just like to win arguments by trying to sound smarter than I really am

That all having been said...
    If you are not shooting for the exact "acres per hour cut" specification they give in the book, are happy with the cut you are getting, and aren't luggin' your engine all the time... do what you like.
    rjpoog1989 and PJR832 like this.
    "No problem can be solved by the same kind of thinking that created it." Albert Einstein

'19 1023e
    R3 turf tires
    54" AutoConnect Deck
    54" SnowBlower Electric chute
    60" $152 DIY Push Blade
    RimGuard loaded rears + 50lb plastic weights
    LandPride RB0560 60" Back Blade
    60" DIY rake w/guide wheels (uses RB0560 frame)
    48" Taylor Pittsburgh 233 series Rotary Cutter
    LED Headlights, Work lights and 3pt area lighting
    D120 Loader with DIY Toothbar
    Cyclone Rake Classic w/Duals and Power Vacuum

12. Top | #30
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:41 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BWV View Post
    I question everything... sometimes I disagree with the OEM recommendations, but most times I just do it.

I've had discussion with friends before, who have outright told me I was abusing my equipment by mowing with the throttle so high and travel speed so fast.
    (My 318.. the book said put it on the Bunny, my 1023e the book says 2100 PTO.. I did, and do, that mowing, because I want it cut as fast as the machine is designed to cut.)

My answer to this is that the engineers at John Deere have spent millions of dollars researching and developing systems to cut grass for years... I quit high school... who am I to question this?
    And then I ask my friend if he thinks he knows more than their team of engineers does...he shrugs...

Now.. to be honest, this particular friend is wicked smart... and he probably does, or could have better answers than they do... but I don't give a squirt about that, I just like to win arguments by trying to sound smarter than I really am

That all having been said...
    If you are not shooting for the exact "acres per hour cut" specification they give in the book, are happy with the cut you are getting, and aren't luggin' your engine all the time... do what you like.
    My thought is, I have had folks telling me things for years...What I see with my own eyes and experiences ends up being what I believe...
    PJR832 likes this.
    Dave's 2012 1026R TLB,54"MMM Auto Attach,Ken's hooks&clevis,Artillian 36' Forks and a KennyPedal WH 520H 48" Snow Blade,48" Deck379 Peterbuilt (3 Million Miles in a big truck)

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3