Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree187Likes

Thread: 1025R - what will it lift with no ballast

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:41 PM
    Thanks

1025R - what will it lift with no ballast

Real world experience, how much weight can you lift and move safely in your bucket with ZERO rear ballast.

Not what it will pick up 3", not what it will pick up @ such and such angle / distance, time of year, humidity level, temperature, after lunch or after supper.

What will it lift and move with no rear ballast?

Thank you
    2014 1025R, 120R loader

"ain't too smart, but I'm always thinkin"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:50 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,301 Times in 2,587 Posts
    An empty bucket or light attachment.

Anything more than that and you risk tipping the tractor.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    That's hard to believe.
    Not even a Barbie doll bed for the girl next door?

you risk tipping the tractor every time you get on it
    Last edited by Corkpuller; 08-31-2019 at 09:41 AM.
    etcallhome, jdforever and kylew like this.
    2014 1025R, 120R loader

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Corkpuller View Post
    Real world experience, how much weight can you lift and move safely in your bucket with ZERO rear ballast.

Not what it will pick up 3", not what it will pick up @ such and such angle / distance, time of year, humidity level, temperature, after lunch or after supper.

What will it lift and move with no rear ballast?

Thank you
    It's impossible to give a specific answer as there are too many variables. Operator weight is one of them.

It sounds like you already have something in mind that you want to try. Can you share the details?
    etcallhome and jdforever like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 07:24 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    An empty bucket or light attachment.

Anything more than that and you risk tipping the tractor.
    Plus the extra stress on the front tires and axle.
    etcallhome and jdforever like this.
    2018 1025r. 260B backhoe, 120r loader, Titan 36" forks, Frontier RT1142 tiller
    1995 Lowes branded riding mower.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    It sounds like you already have something in mind that you want to try. Can you share the details?
    no sir I don't.
    Buddy of mine asked me what will it lift. I said I thought about 600 lbs with some weight on the rear. I didn't have any other answer.

My grandfather farmed his entire life and I grew up around OLD tractors and machinery. I kinda expected this 1025 to be able to carry a light bucket load of dirt with no problem. I think now I need a bigger tractor. This thing ain't much more than overgrown lawn mower to me.

The rear ballast requirements listed in the loader manual are crazy to me. It's going to get mighty expensive to lift that ~600 lbs.

However, a bigger tractor will even get more expensive.
    2014 1025R, 120R loader

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    you risk tipping the tractor every time you get on it
    This is very true, especially if you donít outfit the tractor with the REQUIRED ballast.

Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    It's impossible to give a specific answer as there are too many variables. Operator weight is one of them.
    ^^^^ This nailed it. ^^^^
    ejb69, jdforever and PJR832 like this.
    - Jason

2720 w/ 200CX FEL

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks

1025R - what will it lift with no ballast

The one series is a very capable workhorse once youíve ballasted it correctly for the task at hand. I had zero problems lifting a heaping bucket of rip-rap many times over. You get more than just the needed stability with ballast, you get a lot more traction.

You simply canít compare a large heavy tractor to a SCUT thatís incredibly lighter and smaller. But not ballasting it wonít do much prior to the task at hand and will seriously handicap your machine and make it considerably more dangerous to operate. Your machine is A LOT more capable than you think it is.
    - Jason

2720 w/ 200CX FEL

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,231 Posts
    no sir I don't.
    Buddy of mine asked me what will it lift. I said I thought about 600 lbs with some weight on the rear. I didn't have any other answer.
    That's a reasonable assessment of the power of the loader hydraulics.

My grandfather farmed his entire life and I grew up around OLD tractors and machinery. I kinda expected this 1025 to be able to carry a light bucket load of dirt with no problem. I think now I need a bigger tractor. This thing ain't much more than overgrown lawn mower to me.
    Dirt is heavy. A loader bucket of dirt is almost the same weight as crushed stones. Keep in mind that the tractors of the past were mostly made of steel and iron. Today's smaller tractors are made of aluminum and plastic. So while they have powerful transmissions and hydraulics, they need a bit of counterweight to make them safe. While some like to refer to it as an over sized garden tractor, the 1-series tractor is a very capable platform when configured correctly. If you want to see just what a 1025R can do, check out Tractor Tim with Tim on YouTube. I would also encourage you to review the on-line manuals for larger tractors like the 2-series and 3-series. You will find they too require a significant counterweight on the 3PH to safely use the loader.

The rear ballast requirements listed in the loader manual are crazy to me. It's going to get mighty expensive to lift that ~600 lbs.
    Yes, they seemed crazy to me also when I first got my tractor. But the folks at JD are no dummies. They pretty much know what it takes to make the tractor safe. I would look around for the cheapest ballast box you can find and fill it with about $50 worth of concrete bricks from Home Depot. That should get you near the required weight.

However, a bigger tractor will even get more expensive.
    And... unless you go up to a 5-series or 6-series, you will still need a big counterweight. In fact, 3 and 4-series need twice the weight of your 1025R.

Be safe and happy tractoring.
    etcallhome, OxPath, Ray_PA and 4 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Ok, maybe to be more specific on why I even bought this machine.
    To lift and move anything that I can't with my hands or accomplish with a hand truck.
    To use a box blade and rake to clean up a couple acres I just had clear cut of 120' pines along with some hard woods.
    To mow......eventually.

I bought an Omni Hitch 3 point weight rack with receiver hitch's parallel and vertical.
    This will only hold 8 suitcase weights. That's 336 lbs of ballast.
    I got my eyes on a Land Pride 48 or 54" Box Blade --- ~316 - 325 lbs.

The above ballast is no where near what manual calls for. Wheel weights, filled tire, 600 lbs.
    cheese and rice man !!

I was trying to avoid buying a dedicated BOX for ballast. But it looks like that is what it will take.

Once I get my pallet forks and the rear hitch loaded up, I'll pick up some things in my shop and see how that 336 lbs feels to me.

I ain't an idiot, and I'm well versed with operating equipment and lifting heavy loads.
    39 yrs with "the light company" and operated a 3 stage boom truck for 20 yrs. Picking up , installing / removing 138/69kv transformer radiators in close proximity to 138kv energized lines and bus.

But that don't make me no expert on 25hp tractors, and I don't claim to be an expert at anything.

2014 1025R, 120R loader

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast