JD955 Fuel Shutoff Solenoid

Thread: JD955 Fuel Shutoff Solenoid

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-03-2019 @ 07:58 PM
    Thanks

JD955 Fuel Shutoff Solenoid

I have 2/1998 models; when switch is turned to run/start; one engages the FSS pulling it backwards; works fine. The other; when I turn on to run position; I have to take a stick & push it backwards & it engages & JD starts. Any ideas? Battery/alternator are fine; just checked ALL wiring & both are the same. I have 12V at least on the red wire @ the FSS & ground is good!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:06 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater50 View Post
    I have 2/1998 models; when switch is turned to run/start; one engages the FSS pulling it backwards; works fine. The other; when I turn on to run position; I have to take a stick & push it backwards & it engages & JD starts. Any ideas? Battery/alternator are fine; just checked ALL wiring & both are the same. I have 12V at least on the red wire @ the FSS & ground is good!!
    The shut off solenoid needs to be replaced. They lose their two way action over time and don't "snap open" with the key being turned on. It's just time to replace the solenoid. Its not uncommon after 20 years and lot's of cycling.

The good news is with these old style fuel shut off solenoids, you could manually operate them to continue using the machine once they fail, like yours has. The new machine models solenoids are enclosed and its not as easy or possible in many cases, to manually manipulate them, so you have no choice but to replace them. The replacement for your tractor looks just like the unit which is on it, so you will be able to manually operate the shut off switch if necessary.......

Put a new shut off solenoid on it and the problem will be solved................

By the way, Welcome to Green Tractor Talks website.

Please make sure to post a follow up to let everyone know if the advice helped solve your problem or what you may have done to repair it. This helps those searching the threads with a similar issue know how you resolved the problem with your machine.......
    Last edited by SulleyBear; 09-04-2019 at 07:27 AM. Reason: added welcome

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:06 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,426 Posts
    Here is the link to the parts manual page for the fuel shutoff switch.

John Deere Parts Catalog

It's part number AM124377, and retails for $139.30

Or you can order it from Amazon for $78 and its a Prime Part, so if you are a Prime Member, you can have it in a day....

I have ordered these replacement parts from Amazon and they have worked just fine...........

Here is the link to the Amazon parts.............

Amazon.com: am124377

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements