Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Remember to clean the screen in front of the radiator

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 05:26 PM
    Thanks

Remember to clean the screen in front of the radiator

My temp was running a little high this week moving wood chips into my tree row. I decided to check the radiator fluid. It was fine -- but then I noticed the fine screen in front of the radiator. It was pretty well clogged; cleaned it off and was ready to go. My 1025R didn't once get a beard so next time I will look under the hood.

Rob
    fdmars, chex313, OxPath and 8 others like this.
    1025R
    JD 647 Tiller
    JD 120R front end loader
    Heavy Hitch Super Duty single weight rack with cart
    8 JD suitcase weights (42 lbs)
    Heavy Hitch bucket tooth bar
    Ken's hooks, 2' receiver, seat springs, chain shortener and new handle for using the left loader mast to mount up
    Mirror on right loader mast
    RB 2060 rear blade
    54" front quick mount snow blower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:39 PM
    Thanks
    I learned quick. Had the tractor a short time and it overheated after 15 mins of use. I was working in the dirt in my backyard. I couldn’t believe it happened that fast. No problems from it but I check the screen and temp gauge often when operating. Have two compressors in my garage. One is small and I keep a trigger nozzle on it for cleaning I have grass on all I cleared now so it’s less of an issue.
    2016-1025 FILB, 54" FEL, 54" Front Blower, 54" MMM, Brush Guards, Front and rear LED work lights
    BXpanded-backhoe thumb, bucket teeth, backhoe dolly
    Kens hooks w/ shackles (3 on Bucket), Diff Lock Pedal, backhoe steps
    Artillian Blinders
    Bush hog SBX 480 box blade, BX 600 box Blade
    Frontier LR2060L landscape Rake w/ gauge wheels, subsoiler
    Woods RBC 60 Rear Blade
    Land Pride QH-15 quick hitch
    Everything Attachments 60" Pine Needle Raked
    Garber Easy Seed 60" drop spreader

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:09 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,386 Posts
    Anytime the temps are higher than they should be, ALWAYS start with the screen. The fan has a lot of draw and pulls all kinds of debris and dirt onto the screen.

I have this set for keeping the radiator clean. One is for the compressor and the other for the water hose. ALWAYS use the compressor first and remove as much dirt as possible. If you get the dirt wet, it sticks to the radiator and its much harder to remove, than to blow it off the radiator and screen with the air.

The length and shape of these make reaching down to properly clean the radiator much easier. Also the ends are angled to properly disperse the air and water right into the radiator and to clean it at every level.

It also helps to stop the engine when you are doing this cleaning with the air as the fans suction makes quite a difference. I prefer to keep the engine running when I use the water wand as it helps to draw the water through the fins and clean the system more thoroughly. Obviously, watch out for the fan and don't use these on the back side of the radiator when the engine is running.....

Just be very careful to not hit the radiator fins with either of these wands as the fins bend and damage very easily..............I picked up my wand set at the local Mahindra dealer when I was there with a friend who was trying to get their service department to perform ANY warranty work on his machine..........they are just the opposite of my experiences with Deere.

Deere has always been excellent to deal with, the Mahindra dealer seems to have every possible excuse as to why they WON'T perform warranty work.......another example of the dramatic difference was that the Mahindra dealer didn't stock the filters for my friend to service his machine and they had to order them and it took 3 weeks to get them.....I ordered a set off the internet for him in the meantime and he had them in 3 days and about 40% lower in cost. What kind of dealer doesn't even stock service filters for the equipment they sell?

Tractor Radiator Genie Clean Out Wand Set RG1001

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

WhiskeySixRadio (Yesterday)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:30 PM
    Thanks
    Had to clean mine multiple times this year. Although that beard growth is a dead give away to clean it
    jdforever and PJR832 like this.
    2018 1025R TLB with cool attachments
    FEL , BH , 60MMM , 54 Snow Blade w/ angle kit, Led lights, Rubber edged , Kens BOGH's & Diff Pedal , 3pt Tow bar , R2 Edge Tamers
    In The Works...Toothbar, Wheel spacers, more Led work lights, Landplane

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 10:30 PM
    Thanks
    This year I noticed that the inner screen would have a lot of stuff fall off down into the battery area when I pulled it out to blow it off. When you put the screen back on and start the engine, the radiator fan instantly sucks all that stuff that fell off back up onto the screen. So now I use a portable, battery-operated vacuum cleaner to make sure I truly clear everything and increase the use time before I have to clean it again.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

9. The Following User Says Thank You to keane For This Useful Post:

130Oxbow (Yesterday)

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:47 PM
    Thanks
    I use a cordless leaf blower. I don't think I've ever used it for lawn work, but it is a very useful tool.
    1025r TLB, 54" Bucket, R4 Tires (metal valve stems!) with Beet Juice, 60D Mower Deck - mechanical lift, 42" Titan Pallet Forks w/Bale spear, 54" ETA Box Blade, 72" ETA Landscape Rake, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks and Diff pedal extension, Piranha Tooth Bar and psrumor's Seat Springs

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:17 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by W9GFO View Post
    I use a cordless leaf blower.
    Same here. I blow out the screen each time we use the tractor, when I'm filling it and checking the oil before putting it away. With it and the side panels removed, I blow backwards through the rad with it too. Get all that crap out of there that I can.

I don't think I've ever used it for lawn work, but it is a very useful tool.
    I have a big Stihl backpack blower too. But our Dewalt battery blower is just great. Quiet, no pull start, it's always ready to go. Very handy tool, I agree.
    jdforever and SulleyBear like this.
    2018 1025R; R120 FEL; 60D MMM; iMatch; AP11F forks; Homemade ballast box; Frontier BB5048 box blade; Frontier RC2048 brush hog;

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 08:14 PM
    Thanks
    I hit my whole tractor with a leaf blower after every mowing including under the hood. So far I've never had any overheating issues.
    PJR832 and Kbar like this.
    2018 1025r. 260B backhoe, 120r loader, Titan 36" forks, Frontier RT1142 tiller
    1995 Lowes branded riding mower.

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:32 PM
    Thanks
    I usually can't mow an hour with mine till I have to stop and clean the screen. I can tell when the temp gauge starts rising it's time to stop. My 54d deck throws so much chaff out from under the front of the deck right into the low pressure area under the tractor and the fan sucks it right up. I've never had any other deck that blew so much stuff out from under the front of it.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:17 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spferdil View Post
    I usually can't mow an hour with mine till I have to stop and clean the screen. I can tell when the temp gauge starts rising it's time to stop. My 54d deck throws so much chaff out from under the front of the deck right into the low pressure area under the tractor and the fan sucks it right up. I've never had any other deck that blew so much stuff out from under the front of it.
    Have you checked the level and pitch of the deck yourself? Don't trust the dealer to get it right.
    Bill56 likes this.
    2018 1025R; R120 FEL; 60D MMM; iMatch; AP11F forks; Homemade ballast box; Frontier BB5048 box blade; Frontier RC2048 brush hog;

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast