• 2 Post By Traction
  • 1 Post By etcallhome

Thread: Front Ballast needed for backhoe use with FEL removed

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 02:36 PM
    Thanks

Front Ballast needed for backhoe use with FEL removed

I need to get into some rather tight places in the woods to dig holes for some balled and burlapped evergreens I am planting along my road frontage. With the FEL on it is close to impossible to access some of the areas I need to get to. My plan is to take the FEL off so I have more comfortable margins of error moving around the trees I need to get passed. Do I need to put on the extension for a second row of suitcase weights or should 7 42lbs suitcase weights do the job?
    2019 1025R TLB - BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar and Backhoe Thumb, Kens Bolt on Hooks/Diff Pedal/Springs/Tie Down Plates, Bora 1.5" rear spacers

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:26 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,178 Times in 835 Posts
    I've never used a backhoe without a FEL bucket lowered to the ground and lifting the front wheels of the tractor.

You might be able to do this, but I believe that your digging capacity may be reduced.

Maybe just take off the bucket and then put some dunnage under the FEL so that you can still lower it and lift the front.

If you have something like a pallet fork frame that would be good to have on when you set the loader frame down.
    etcallhome and kylew like this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-17-2019 @ 12:33 PM
    Thanks
    Can you take the bucket off and the the FEL frame on? That's probably enough weight to get you started, maybe find a good size log to load across the arms? Just spit-balling.
    rtgt and kylew like this.
    2015 JD 1025R TLB-Setup (Dealer Installed Backhoe & Power Beyond)
    H120 Loader & 260 Backhoe
    60D MMM with Auto Connect & Ind. Hydraulic Lift
    JD I-match Quick Hitch
    Agri Supply CGR-48 Tiller (77709) & 48" Clamp on Debris Fork (87636)
    Yard Tuff 3-Pt. Plug Aerator (Northern Tool)
    42" Titan Forks w/ 2" Trailer Receiver
    HH Toothbar, Rear 2" Rec. Hitch Plate & 3-in-1 Trailer Tow Hitch
    Ken's Bolt on Hooks, Seat Springs, Differential Lock Pedal Ext.
    JD Forward Lighting Kit & Rear Work Light

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:53 PM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks
    I'd think your 7 are fine if on relativly flat ground....besides wheelies are kinda fun.

On my 955 I've run a long piece of all thread through the mounted weights and hung a couple more on each side outside the standard weight bracket. Anything would work to hang them , then run a strap around the whole mess to keep them from rattling. Be easy on the digging with no loader as it will likely try to tweek your outriggers.
    Put it in 4x4 and set the brake good & tight.
    rtgt and greenharley like this.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:42 PM
    Thanks
    I think you'll need more weight if you doing any digging. The front end loader assembly is close to 600 lbs, your 7 weights is 300.

I've messed up and put the backhoe on before the front end loader, and it's hard to even drive on level ground to where the loader is to mount it without pulling a wheelie.
    After that experience, even with a couple of hundred lbs on the front, I wouldn't even try to dig....
    etcallhome, rtgt, Ray_PA and 3 others like this.
    tquarles
    1025R FILB with 60" MMM, 48" Kuhn tiller, 60" Howse box blade,
    Howse post hole digger, JD LX60 brush cutter, Bearcat chipper, 3-point broadcast spreader
    Artillian forks and receiver mount, Cyclone Rake.
    Gator TS

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 02:36 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tquarles View Post
    I think you'll need more weight if you doing any digging. The front end loader assembly is close to 600 lbs, your 7 weights is 300.

I've messed up and put the backhoe on before the front end loader, and it's hard to even drive on level ground to where the loader is to mount it without pulling a wheelie.
    After that experience, even with a couple of hundred lbs on the front, I wouldn't even try to dig....
    Thanks for the first hand experience. I think I am going to take a couple sections of fence down and cut down a few small trees to give myself better access. No reason to risk damaging something or hurting myself.
    etcallhome, rtgt, Ray_PA and 4 others like this.
    2019 1025R TLB - BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar and Backhoe Thumb, Kens Bolt on Hooks/Diff Pedal/Springs/Tie Down Plates, Bora 1.5" rear spacers

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    10-17-2019 @ 02:09 PM
    Thanks
    The front end loader is listed as “required equipment” in the backhoe user manual and has a caution specifically stating not to operate the backhoe without the FEL installed.
    rtgt and Ray_PA like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:40 PM
    Thanks
    I fill the bucket with dirt from the woods and then lower the bucket to the ground after positioning the rig and then position back hoe
    2016-1025 FILB, 54" FEL, 54" Front Blower, 54" MMM, Brush Guards, Front and rear LED work lights
    BXpanded-backhoe thumb, bucket teeth, backhoe dolly
    Kens hooks w/ shackles (3 on Bucket), Diff Lock Pedal, backhoe steps
    Artillian Blinders
    Bush hog SBX 480 box blade, BX 600 box Blade
    Frontier LR2060L landscape Rake w/ gauge wheels, subsoiler
    Woods RBC 60 Rear Blade
    Land Pride QH-15 quick hitch
    Everything Attachments 60" Pine Needle Raked
    Garber Easy Seed 60" drop spreader

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,505 Times in 1,614 Posts
    I wouldn't try using the bh without the fel.

A couple of times while using mine I had to use mine with fel bucket up in the air. Just didn't feel safe plus digging force wasn't up to par. If I hadn't been setting on level I wouldn't have tried. Plus I only needed to dig maybe 2-4' of dirt out of the hole.
    Ray_PA likes this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:17 PM
    Thanks
    The Heavy Hitch front bracket will hold eight 70 lb suitcase weighs. Not sure if that would be enough though.
    2015 1025R FILB, iMatch, 53" Bucket, 54D Mower Deck, 54" Snow Blower, Heavy Hitch Dual Suitcase Weight Bracket, Heavy Hitch Front Weight Bracket, EA 48" Plugger, Garber 48" 3 point Seeder, Kens bolt on hooks, CountyLine (Tarter Gate) 60" box blade, Kenda Terra Trac HDAP tires (front and rear), CozyCab Sunshade, TSC CountyLine (Tarter) 48" yellow rototiller, BXPanded 25 gallon 3PH sprayer.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements