• 1 Post By fransser

Thread: Torque settings on wheel lugs/bolts

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-11-2019 @ 07:51 AM
    Thanks

Torque settings on wheel lugs/bolts

Hello,
    I joined this forum before buying my tractor and in the end went with one that I could purchase used, which limited my choices. So please forgive me for asking a "non-green" question here (but I think it actually applies to the one series as well).

For a BX 2380, the owners manual says front wheels torque between 110 and 132 pounds. The rears are torqued between 80 - 96 pounds.

1. Why such a large range between min/max specs?
    2. Why are the fronts torqued more than the rears?
    3. I saw a video where the guy said the nuts on the rear are torqued differently than the bolts, but I don't see anything in the manual that differentiates.

thanks for any and all input and feedback

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-06-2019 @ 06:29 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fransser View Post
    For a BX 2380, the owners manual says front wheels torque between 110 and 132 pounds. The rears are torqued between 80 - 96 pounds.

3. I saw a video where the guy said the nuts on the rear are torqued differently than the bolts, but I don't see anything in the manual that differentiates.

1. I can't tell you why there is given a range on the torque, maybe dry verses lubricated. IDK You'll have to quiz a Kabota tech on that one.
    2. Are the front wheel lugs/bolts a larger diameter than the rears? A lot of things affect suggested torque, steel qualities, temper, pitch of the thread and the diameter of the stud....or the number of fasteners.
    That's the best I can come up with with my 4 active brain cells.
    3520, Sicma 74 tiller, 12Kw PTO gen, 72"auto connect deck, 300cx FEL, 61"HD w/JD toothbar & 6ft snow pusher, JD Ballast box w/Extension, Land Pride FDR-2584 finish mower,

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,657 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Hello,
    I joined this forum before buying my tractor and in the end went with one that I could purchase used, which limited my choices. So please forgive me for asking a "non-green" question here (but I think it actually applies to the one series as well).

No way to explain the range. I checked the manual myself and see what you mean. If you are concerned, torque them to the lesser end of the torque range.

According to the parts book, the front uses larger bolts. According to the parts listings the front bolts are 9/16-inch. The rear nuts AND bolts are 1/2-inch.

Given that the rear nut AND bolt are the same size (1/2-inch) it would seem logical that they would both have the same torque spec.
    Last edited by jgayman; 09-10-2019 at 03:22 PM.
    BigJim55, keane and Yank like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,079 Times in 2,545 Posts
    You could always ask here too:

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/
    OxPath, BigJim55, PJR832 and 2 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:06 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,426 Posts
    Hello,

Regardless of the reason, I would follow the torque guidelines as the damage can be severe when there is a loose wheel or one comes off.........they must have a reason and perhaps someone on the Kubota forum can explain it.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-11-2019 @ 07:51 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    You could always ask here too:

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/

I did! Received fewer responses there!
    jgayman likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:45 PM
    Thanks
    Hello,

1. No clue why they gave you a range.
    2. Looking at pics, it appears the front wheels have 4 bolts where the rears have 5. The way a wheel holds the weight of the vehicle is from the friction between the wheel and mating surface on the vehicle. The friction is created by the clamping force created by the bolts/nuts. More bolts, holds more weight. Higher torque, holds more weight. More bolts with less torque can hold the same weight as fewer bolts with more torque.
    3. Dunno

PS: #2 is why you should be very careful with any paint or lubricant on the mating surfaces between the wheel and vehicle. Anything that might allow slippage will reduce the load carrying ability.
    "Wherever you leak, the world hangs a bucket." - Gallagher

Sold - 1991 John Deere LX186 w/48" deck, 42" front plow, 1993 John Deere TRX26 snowblower
    Now own - 2018 John Deere 1023E w/120R loader & 53" bucket, 60D MMM w/auto PTO coupler & hydraulic lift, Deere 3rd Mid SCV, iMatch 3ph, ballast box, ROPS Warning Light Brush Guard, Deck Dolly, Edge Tamers, All States Ag Parts Mirrors, Ken's Hooks and differential pedal, Heavy Hitch Toothbar, Frontier AV20F Grapple, HLA HD0942 pallet forks

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:45 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PaDave View Post
    1. I can't tell you why there is given a range on the torque, maybe dry verses lubricated. IDK
    NEVER lubricate the threads of a bolt/nut that will be torqued to a certain spec. The friction of the threads is part of the torque value.
    Last edited by DanW; 09-11-2019 at 03:43 PM.
    "Wherever you leak, the world hangs a bucket." - Gallagher

Sold - 1991 John Deere LX186 w/48" deck, 42" front plow, 1993 John Deere TRX26 snowblower
    Now own - 2018 John Deere 1023E w/120R loader & 53" bucket, 60D MMM w/auto PTO coupler & hydraulic lift, Deere 3rd Mid SCV, iMatch 3ph, ballast box, ROPS Warning Light Brush Guard, Deck Dolly, Edge Tamers, All States Ag Parts Mirrors, Ken's Hooks and differential pedal, Heavy Hitch Toothbar, Frontier AV20F Grapple, HLA HD0942 pallet forks

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    NEVER lubricate the threads of a bolt/nut that will be torqued to a certain spec. The friction of the threads is part of the torque value.
    It all depends on the equipment and the spec. Some bolts/nuts specify that a lubricant be applied prior to torquing.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    1. No clue why they gave you a range.
    2. Looking at pics, it appears the front wheels have 4 bolts where the rears have 5. The way a wheel holds the weight of the vehicle is from the friction between the wheel and mating surface on the vehicle. The friction is created by the clamping force created by the bolts/nuts. More bolts, holds more weight. Higher torque, holds more weight. More bolts with less torque can hold the same weight as fewer bolts with more torque.
    3. Dunno

PS: #2 is why you should be very careful with any paint or lubricant on the mating surfaces between the wheel and vehicle. Anything that might allow slippage will reduce the load carrying ability.
    I think we already established the reason back in response #3. The front bolts are larger in diameter than the rear bolts - therefore they get torqued to a higher value.

Likewise with #3... the nut and bolt are the same size so they get torqued to the same value.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements