YASQ (Yet Another Seat Question)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: YASQ (Yet Another Seat Question)

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:23 PM
    Thanks

YASQ (Yet Another Seat Question)

The back has almost recovered from Saturday's mowing so I'm giving serious consideration to upgrading to a suspension seat on my 1023E. I've found multiple threads on the subject but it seems unless I want to go with a Deere seat ($$$) there's one part I'm having trouble finding. BM21332 This levels the seat base so I can use pretty much any 3rd party suspension seat, with the understanding I may have to make an adapter plate for the mounting holes. Seems Deere no longer sells this P/N but I also found Deluxe Seat Base - ST538972. This is the base for the X700 series seat, which I understand is a direct bolt on replacement for the 1 Series seat. Unfortunately, it seems Deere only includes that part with the seat. Any Deere part gurus out there that know an orderable P/N for this?

As a bit of background, I've had back issues most of my adult life. I finally sought medical help in my mid 40's and found out then my left leg is actually 1 inch shorter than the right. This put my hip bone at an angle and put a curve in my lower spine. My tail bone actually points to a spot on the ground well to the right of my right foot. The biggest problem is sitting on a hard seat. This forces my hip bone to try to level out which then puts a force on my spine trying to straighten it. It seems a hard bounce on the tractor has the same affect.
    "Wherever you leak, the world hangs a bucket." - Gallagher

Sold - 1991 John Deere LX186 w/48" deck, 42" front plow, 1993 John Deere TRX26 snowblower
    Now own - 2018 John Deere 1023E w/120R loader & 53" bucket, 60D MMM w/auto PTO coupler & hydraulic lift, Deere 3rd Mid SCV, iMatch 3ph, ballast box, ROPS Warning Light Brush Guard, Deck Dolly, Edge Tamers, All States Ag Parts Mirrors, Ken's Hooks, Heavy Hitch Toothbar, Frontier AV20F Grapple, HLA HD0942 pallet forks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,595 Posts
    Like you always had back problems since I was little. Close to 30 yrs ago fell down our basement steps (well slid) . Nothing broken and doing rehab I had little to no relieve. After several months decided to go to my chiropractor , he takes some xrays and while doing so he keeps telling me to stand up straight. He finds my R leg is shorter than the L by close to 3/4".. He adjusted my back and suggested putting a 3/8" lift under my insole of my R shoe.

Have been wearing a lift in my R shoe every since . Lower back feels the best I can remember, very seldom now with lower back problem.

Now to your problem with seat.

I bought the 1025 because it had the better (to me) back support or comfort.

I feel your pain..

Oh a shoe repair shop , or a firm to hard piece of rubber from your heal to about the start of your arch cut on a angle should help.
    keane, Toughsox and DanW like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    Like you always had back problems since I was little. Close to 30 yrs ago fell down our basement steps (well slid) . Nothing broken and doing rehab I had little to no relieve. After several months decided to go to my chiropractor , he takes some xrays and while doing so he keeps telling me to stand up straight. He finds my R leg is shorter than the L by close to 3/4".. He adjusted my back and suggested putting a 3/8" lift under my insole of my R shoe.

Have been wearing a lift in my R shoe every since . Lower back feels the best I can remember, very seldom now with lower back problem.

Now to your problem with seat.

I bought the 1025 because it had the better (to me) back support or comfort.

I feel your pain..

Oh a shoe repair shop , or a firm to hard piece of rubber from your heal to about the start of your arch cut on a angle should help.
    Tried the lift in the shoe trick and at first it seemed to help. But after a few months I had such bad hip pain I was walking with a limp. Maybe if I'd started younger but after 40+ years of my femur and pelvis working together at that angle I guess they didn't like the change. Took out the lift and in a few months everything was back to "normal". Once the pain had subsided I started working out regularly and hadn't had any significant problem for years. Until Saturday...
    Last edited by DanW; 09-11-2019 at 08:31 PM.
    etcallhome and keane like this.

Sold - 1991 John Deere LX186 w/48" deck, 42" front plow, 1993 John Deere TRX26 snowblower
    Now own - 2018 John Deere 1023E w/120R loader & 53" bucket, 60D MMM w/auto PTO coupler & hydraulic lift, Deere 3rd Mid SCV, iMatch 3ph, ballast box, ROPS Warning Light Brush Guard, Deck Dolly, Edge Tamers, All States Ag Parts Mirrors, Ken's Hooks, Heavy Hitch Toothbar, Frontier AV20F Grapple, HLA HD0942 pallet forks

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks

Nevermind

After sleeping on the idea I realized I don't need the entire assembly, just the one piece that sets the seat angle (Item 9).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bm21332-medium.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	704762

And that I can order.
    etcallhome and rtgt like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Dan,

Have you thought about something like this assembly?

Amazon.com: Seats, Inc SEAT Suspension EXMARK, KUBOTA, John Deere, Z TRAK, Toro, Hustler ZTR Lawn MOWERS #EP: Garden Outdoor

Also, they make an air ride set up which can be mounted under the seat. They are not cheap but how much of a price does one place on eliminating back pain?

The other simple trick to try is to insert some "pool noodles" cut to length and place them in the existing suspension of the seat to help eliminate that SLAM which comes from a bump and direct transfer vertically which causes the seat to bottom out. I put the pool noodles in my seat for my 455 and for less than $10, it was an impressive improvement. You might want to avoid Hot pink as a pool noodle color, which is what Mrs. Bear brought home from the Dollar Store for me when I asked her to pick up one next time at the store.......

Basically, cut the pool noodle length to tightly fit inside the suspension area of the seat base and wedge them in there and give it a try. I ended up using zip ties to hold them in place, but on a scale of 1 to 10 for ride improvement, if the factory seat suspension with 25 years of wear was a 2, adding the pool noodles increased it to about an 8 and the best the factory seat ever was was maybe a 5.

The other thing to try is to adjust the angle of tip forward and back to reposition your seating position and minimize the direct vertical bounce on your spine when you encounter bumps......

One other thing I found to be helpful is I also use a Gell Seat pad, like the one on my Harley seat, which simply sits on top of the other seat. Here is an example of what I am talking about.............the nice thing about the gel seat pad is you can reposition it easily to get the best results......

https://www.onlygel.com/products/con...EaAvLdEALw_wcB

The most important thing I found over 30 plus years of dealing with this is you have to keep doing the things you enjoy and you have to remain active. The less you do, the worse you will get in a hurry......

Good luck, as someone with more than half my life fighting severe lower back pain, it changes things dramatically and can take the enjoyment out of life............Try simple and cheap improvements before making expensive changes as the best results I have gotten often came from the less complex and less expensive methods............
    Last edited by SulleyBear; 09-12-2019 at 08:36 AM.
    Yank, tareece, Bcross and 1 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

DanW (09-12-2019)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Dan,

Amazon.com: Seats, Inc SEAT Suspension EXMARK, KUBOTA, John Deere, Z TRAK, Toro, Hustler ZTR Lawn MOWERS #EP: Garden Outdoor

Also, they make an air ride set up which can be mounted under the seat. They are not cheap but how much of a price does one place on eliminating back pain?
    Oh I've been thinking about all kinds of options. The above was one of the first items I stumbled on. I also found an air suspension version -ztrpuffer

With the angle these seats are mounted I'm not sure how effective these would be if I just mounted them under the current rails. I think they'd work better with a level seat which gets back to the bracket I'm looking at. My biggest concern with these is I'm not sure how much improvement there can be with only 1-2 inches of suspension travel. Some, but enough?

The other simple trick to try is to insert some "pool noodles" cut to length and place them in the existing suspension of the seat to help eliminate that SLAM which comes from a bump and direct transfer vertically which causes the seat to bottom out. I put the pool noodles in my seat for my 455 and for less than $10, it was an impressive improvement. You might want to avoid Hot pink as a pool noodle color, which is what Mrs. Bear brought home from the Dollar Store for me when I asked her to pick up one next time at the store.......

Basically, cut the pool noodle length to tightly fit inside the suspension area of the seat base and wedge them in there and give it a try. I ended up using zip ties to hold them in place, but on a scale of 1 to 10 for ride improvement, if the factory seat suspension with 25 years of wear was a 2, adding the pool noodles increased it to about an 8 and the best the factory seat ever was was maybe a 5.

The other thing to try is to adjust the angle of tip forward and back to reposition your seating position and minimize the direct vertical bounce on your spine when you encounter bumps......

One other thing I found to be helpful is I also use a Gell Seat pad, like the one on my Harley seat, which simply sits on top of the other seat. Here is an example of what I am talking about.............the nice thing about the gel seat pad is you can reposition it easily to get the best results......

The most important thing I found over 30 plus years of dealing with this is you have to keep doing the things you enjoy and you have to remain active. The less you do, the worse you will get in a hurry......

Good luck, as someone with more than half my life fighting severe lower back pain, it changes things dramatically and can take the enjoyment out of life............Try simple and cheap improvements before making expensive changes as the best results I have gotten often came from the less complex and less expensive methods............
    Thanks for the suggestions. Doesn't hurt (no pun intended) to try the less expensive solutions first. Then again...

I still have yet to test the lower tire pressure but I have doubts that'll make that much of an improvement. With only 17 psi in them now that tells me these R4s have stiff sidewalls, though it won't take much to make this ride better. The only question is how much better do I need it for it to be good enough.
    BigJim55 and tareece like this.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Just an update, the bracket arrived today (From GreenPartStore with free shipping thanks to TTWT ). As I'd hoped it actually bolts right up to the slide mechanism of the factory seat.

Name:	20190917_165407.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	705516

But I'd also hoped it would bolt up to the slide's mounting holes.

Name:	20190917_164335.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	705518
    It doesn't.

Attached to the slide, with the slide all the way forward, the top of this bracket is right around 9" above the center hump of the tractor, slid all the way back it's 10". If I drill a hole in the plate and mount it without the slide, it's about 8.25".

I'd hoped to keep it as low as possible since, after much research, I just ordered a Grammer MSG85/721 seat/suspension combo from toughseats.com. I'm 6'2" and sitting a couple inches higher than the factory seat won't be a problem. Just not sure how much this seat will add. The deciding factor here was Grammer offers a lateral isolation kit for this combo.

https://youtu.be/Rh4t-WKTb40 (How to install side-to-side isolator)

Unfortunately Toughseats didn't have this in stock so I'll be test driving without this for a while. Maybe I'll decide I don't need it but this way it's at least possible to add later.

Right now I think the odds are 50:50 as to whether it was the drop off over that root or the spot where the tractor rocked violently sideways (violent if you ask my back) going over some yard bumps that seemed to be spaced perfectly to hit one tire than the other in rapid succession. Today was the first day my back felt close to normal. Still a little stiff but at least the pain shooting down my left butt cheek into my leg has stopped.

More updates when I get the seat. Hopefully Friday.
    Last edited by DanW; 09-17-2019 at 05:17 PM.
    Tractor Tim and FortClatsop like this.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-22-2019 @ 06:37 AM
    Thanks

Watching

From a fellow back pain sufferer I am watching you efforts with great interest.

Since 1973, when I had a broken neck, spinal whiplash/trauma and a third concussion in six weeks my back and entire body have been in pain. I'm very fortunate just to be here from what my wife discovered (working in hospitals where I was treated). Things have grown worse over the years and at 60 I had to have an implanted intrathecal pain pump inserted that provides 24/7 supply of pain medication directly to the spinal cord. It is an improvement, definitely. I just finished my 400 hr. maintenance and it took me four days. I realize some will laugh at that amount of time but it was spaced among four days with a total hours of work probably no more than eight to 10 hours. That is what it takes me plus the pain time on the couch/recliner during and after the maintenance. My wife wants me to have the dealer do it but I balk at the price yet realize my day is soon coming that I'll no longer be able to do it myself. We all are headed to this point, some faster than others. Mr. pain Dr. limited me to a 15# weight limit for lifting and that is untenable with working on my small equipment, lifting diesel fuel cans out of the trunk of a car and transporting them to my storage location and then lifting again when I fill the fuel tank on the 1025R. I do have an electric fuel pump that nearly drains the 5 gal. cans which is very nice. We do what we must to make it. Sully made a great point in keeping on doing things as you quickly lose ability to do it if you stop completely. Every little bit you fight it helps you down the road. I don't want to sound like a complainer or whiner so I'll end it here but we who have back pain (and far more) know what an evening and night feel like after a rough afternoon on the tractor, bouncing and banging across uneven land and ground hog holes plus ever-present hidden bumps that surprise us and hurt most of all.

Everyone on this site hope you find the solution to ease your situation.

I saw you noted the "puffer" but I missed it if you discussed that option in detail. I discussed it with a local dealer but he failed to follow up and I quit on that one but always held it in the back of my mind.

I've tried most of the options to help but the pool noddles and may look into picking one up to try.

Please continue to post here for our mutual ability to copy your genius and reap the benefits you have found. Here is wishing you great success so I can copy it!!!! Have a great day.
    BigJim55 and DanW like this.
    2016 John Deere 1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM Auto Connect, 54" Hydraulic Articulating Front Blade w/ Blade Extensions, 42" Land Pride Tiller, Seat Spring Upgrades by KennyD, 42 Gallon Fimco Sprayer w/ Greenleaf Asymetrical Nozzles and 12' spray boom, Poulan 14" Chain Saw, Edge R Rite Lawn Edger, Echo SM-225 String Trimmer.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:32 PM
    Thanks
    Dan,

Guys, I’m here to tell you the pool noodle trick works. My new X758 has a great seat but it would bottom out on the rough spots. Cut up the pool noodles pieces and experimented with placement. You have to cut them long so they will give resistance and stay put. It rides so much better now.
    Last edited by Yank; 09-18-2019 at 05:05 AM.
    BigJim55 and SulleyBear like this.
    Yancey

2017 2038R 220R loader
    Frontier 72” rear blade
    Frontier 60” box blade
    Frontier 65” tiller
    Frontier subsoiler
    Frontier 60” landplane
    Frontier 42” pallet forks
    Frontier 72” RC 2072
    HH toothbar KBOH’s bucket hooks
    2019 X758 60HC deck
    Model 80 trailer

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Yank For This Useful Post:

SulleyBear (09-18-2019)

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by srsvii View Post
    From a fellow back pain sufferer I am watching you efforts with great interest.

Since 1973, when I had a broken neck, spinal whiplash/trauma and a third concussion in six weeks my back and entire body have been in pain. I'm very fortunate just to be here from what my wife discovered (working in hospitals where I was treated). Things have grown worse over the years and at 60 I had to have an implanted intrathecal pain pump inserted that provides 24/7 supply of pain medication directly to the spinal cord. It is an improvement, definitely.

I just finished my 400 hr. maintenance and it took me four days. I realize some will laugh at that amount of time but it was spaced among four days with a total hours of work probably no more than eight to 10 hours. That is what it takes me plus the pain time on the couch/recliner during and after the maintenance. My wife wants me to have the dealer do it but I balk at the price yet realize my day is soon coming that I'll no longer be able to do it myself. We all are headed to this point, some faster than others.

Mr. pain Dr. limited me to a 15# weight limit for lifting and that is untenable with working on my small equipment, lifting diesel fuel cans out of the trunk of a car and transporting them to my storage location and then lifting again when I fill the fuel tank on the 1025R. I do have an electric fuel pump that nearly drains the 5 gal. cans which is very nice. We do what we must to make it.

Sully made a great point in keeping on doing things as you quickly lose ability to do it if you stop completely. Every little bit you fight it helps you down the road. I don't want to sound like a complainer or whiner so I'll end it here but we who have back pain (and far more) know what an evening and night feel like after a rough afternoon on the tractor, bouncing and banging across uneven land and ground hog holes plus ever-present hidden bumps that surprise us and hurt most of all.

Everyone on this site hope you find the solution to ease your situation.

I saw you noted the "puffer" but I missed it if you discussed that option in detail. I discussed it with a local dealer but he failed to follow up and I quit on that one but always held it in the back of my mind.

I've tried most of the options to help but the pool noddles and may look into picking one up to try.

Please continue to post here for our mutual ability to copy your genius and reap the benefits you have found. Here is wishing you great success so I can copy it!!!! Have a great day.
    If you need help locating the puffer information, here is a link.....

https://ztrpuffer.com/

The pool noodle sounds flaky, but it really works. Also, its very inexpensive and also the easiest to try. Just pick up a cheap pool noodle and cut it to lengths you have to wedge into the seat base, vertically or horizontally, try both. The good news is the noodle is probably 5 feet long and under $10 so wasted cuts and mistakes aren't a big deal. This time of year, many noodles are on sale, I saw some the other day for $0.99 each.

I also have implant, a neuro-stimulator. My doctor wanted me to get the pain med pump implanted, but I chose against it only because I couldn't find anyone who would refill it within 75 miles and the one doctor I did find who would fill it, told me he was losing money on the reimbursements for performing the refill so he didn't want any new patients. So I chose to just hold the current medicine course and it has helped. As you know, there are a host of issues with the medicine, which I won't detail here..........

Severe Chronic back pain really is a challenge. Often, I have something planned and just don't feel up to completing the entire thing or at times, even starting the project such as the tractor service. I have found the less I do, the worse i get so I push myself most times to keep doing things. Often, I simply tell myself the activity helps distract me from the pain, even though we both know that the pain really controls what one does. Yesterday, all I accomplished was unloading a pallet of stuff I had ordered and unpacking everything. By time I was done with that, I just wasn't up to mowing or the other stuff I needed to do, so that will have to happen today, pain willing......

One has to be very careful succumbing to the pain as it seems to always be demanding more and more of one's ability and what you surrender, is very hard to regain. That means often pushing through the agony and the use of several large ice packs, very often. I have some ice packs which are 12" x 15" in size and I use them often. Three freeze solid and one remains flexible, which is the one I use over my shoulder. I don't use heat as it causes swelling from drawing all of the blood to the treated area.

I have had a total of over a dozen operations on my spine and also my right shoulder, which also is a constant source of pain. The shoulder pain prevents me from sleeping in any position other than with my upper body elevated and on my back. Sleeping on my side, either side, is virtually impossible because of the shoulder pain. I can't lie on my right side as that is the side which is trouble and even on my left side, the removal of part of my collar bone causes the shoulder to reposition into a very uncomfortable place. So, it's pretty much on my back, elevated from the waist up with a combination of supports and pillows. But there are others who have it far worse, so I pretty much look at it as if it is what it is and I try to make the best of it.

I have had a multi level anterior fusion of L3, L4 and L5 and threaded cages were inserted where the discs were removed and the former disc space filled with synthetic bone. This prevents me from laying on my stomach due to the lack of lumbar bending and flex.

No question the aging process is much more difficult when dealing with these challenges. But we all have some issues to deal with, so I just try and be positive and thankful for what I can do and what I have. I have often said there are only a few people I would wish this agony upon......and none are friends.

Don't apologize for the extra time it takes to get stuff done and also, don't fret over what anyone else may say or think. Just do what you can and keep active and don't let the pain win..........and I will admit, it is a very formidable adversary.............Stay in touch if you need or want to vent over the frustration of dealing with the pain, as those who don't live with it simply don't understand its profound impact and the frustration which it causes.............

Positive thinking, positive attitude.....I can't and won't let myself surrender, but there sure have been times........
    BigJim55 and DanW like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

Zebrafive (09-18-2019)

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast