Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree665Likes

Thread: 1025R broken rear axle

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:28 PM
    Thanks

1025R broken rear axle

Well weekend tasks came to an abrupt end last night. I was doing a little landscaping work trying to remove a shrub root with FEL and felt a sudden lurch. i looked back and the right rear tire was not where it was supposed to be. I was in MFW drive low range. Discovered to my dismay that the rear right axle shaft had snapped just outside the differential seal. The tractor was purchased in 2014 and only has ~150 hours. Well maintained and garaged. I do use the FEL to its limit along with a pallet fork for lane gravel and firewood carry. I also bush-hog seasonally but no regular lawn mowing. I take good care of my equipment and tend to keep things for a long time. I am also fairly pragmatic about machines, things break and wear, and you fix what fails. But this kind of failure seems to me to indicate an overweight or over stress on the axle. That got me thinking maybe I was asking to much of this tractor. Rear tires are liquid filled and I do routinely carry a full complement of suitcase weights (8x42 lbs) on a Heavy Hitch on the rear three-point arms. Those rear weights make all the difference in stability and FEL safety. I would not think that ~350 lbs would cause undue stress on the rear axles but this kind of failure makes me wonder what happened. Is this rotational stress? What is the thinking here? What causes this kind of failure? Is this accumulated abuse or something acute?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2993.jpg   IMG_2995.jpg   IMG-2991.JPG  
    Gizmo2, jdforever and Tractor Tim like this.

JD 1025R w H120 loader, JD 54" front blade, Horst 1200 lb quick attach pallet fork, Wallenstein BX42S chipper, A&B BX480 box blade, Bush Hog BH14 rotary cutter, DHT 28-ton splitter, JD GT225, Stihl 261, tolerant spouse ... so far.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,632 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Whoa... that’s not good. That is some strange looking metal at the break.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Big
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:24 PM
    Thanks
    Can't like this...hate that this is one of your first post's.

I don't think the weight was the issue. Something else, weak steel, manufacturer defect...
    jdforever, PJR832 and Kbar like this.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:06 PM
    Thanks
    The two-tone coloring of that axle stub at the break would lead me to think that your axle was made from a defective steel casting. Never seen it on one of these forums before.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Can't like this...hate that this is one of your first post's.

I don't think the weight was the issue. Something else, weak steel, manufacturer defect...
    I have not asked too many questions on this forum because the community here is so great in sharing knowledge and opinions, I’ve soaked up a lot of stuff so thank you. However this axle thing took me by surprise. I am no metallurgist but I don’t like the looks of the break point.
    glc, Gizmo2, IndianaJim and 9 others like this.

JD 1025R w H120 loader, JD 54" front blade, Horst 1200 lb quick attach pallet fork, Wallenstein BX42S chipper, A&B BX480 box blade, Bush Hog BH14 rotary cutter, DHT 28-ton splitter, JD GT225, Stihl 261, tolerant spouse ... so far.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:04 PM
    Thanks
    Yeah that looks like an inclusion of some type in the metal. I would assume the axle is drawn and heat treated. You will see the same thing sometimes in leaf springs they will snap right at a point where something dis-simalr is in the metal.

Ruff part is there are allot of places in the axle where it wouldn’t have made a difference but it fell probably very near the point of maximum strain.
    BigJim55, PJR832 and Kbar like this.
    2007 2305, New to Me 12/15
    62c MMM, Independent Mid Lift
    H130 FEL, Heavy Hitch, , IMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks,
    N1 Sunshade, 48" Flex Hitch King Kutter,
    72" CTA Snow Pusher, CIDAttachments Forks
    LP 60” Grader Scrapper, R2 Edge Tamers
    Hitch'N Can

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Thanks
    Looks like a casting and outer ring is the heat treat.

10. Top | #8
    BWV
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:27 PM
    Thanks
    These things are made to drive around a job site with a backhoe on them...
    Unless it was dropped from something high onto someplace hard it's gotta be an axle defect... I'll third the defect/inclusion theory...
    Gizmo2, BigJim55, PJR832 and 2 others like this.
    "No problem can be solved by the same kind of thinking that created it." Albert Einstein

'19 1023e
    R3 turf tires
    54" AutoConnect Deck
    54" SnowBlower Electric chute
    60" $152 DIY Push Blade
    RimGuard loaded rears + 50lb plastic weights
    LandPride RB0560 60" Back Blade
    72" DIY rake w/guide wheels (uses RB0560 frame)
    48" Taylor Pittsburgh 233 series Rotary Cutter
    LED Headlights, Work lights and 3pt area lighting
    D120 Loader with DIY Toothbar
    Cyclone Rake Classic w/Duals and Power Vacuum

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:12 AM
    Thanks
    My first thought was how much weight was on the back and you answered that right away. I think that is less then JD recommends. Defect, I agree.
    Kbar likes this.
    2018 2025r, FEL, 60" autoconnect deck, pallet forks, some other stuff.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ppsh41 View Post
    Looks like a casting and outer ring is the heat treat.
    Here is a better image. Will talk to Deere dealer tomorrow and see if we can figure out how to get this three-wheeler onto a roll back and in for service.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2996R.jpg  
    Gizmo2, chex313, BigJim55 and 7 others like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast