Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: 1026R Starting slow now

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 12:15 PM
    Thanks

1026R Starting slow now

I have had my 1026R since new and it always started within a couple of rolls of the crankshaft until recently. I just rolled over the 200 hour mark and just replaced the battery. The fuel filters were replaced at the 169-170 hour mark. I have just recently noticed that I now have to crank the engine over for 10-15 seconds before it starts and it smokes some where it never did in the past. If I run it for a while and then shut it off and restart there is no problem. Let it set for an hour or so and the slow start is back. Any suggestions on what might be causing this issue? I am thinking the injection pump is somehow losing its fuel and has to crank for a while before the fuel is there to be injected but why now? Thanks, Ed
    1994 JD 445 with 54" MMM
    2012 JD 1026R with FEL, 54" MMM, I-Match, King Kutter 4' Flex Hitch Rotary Kutter L-48-40-P-FH, JD Ballast Box.
    47" Snow Blower, 54" Front Blade, Fits Both Tractors Quick Hitch
    Tektite Cab to the 1026R

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:41 AM
    Thanks
    I assume you are allowing the glow plugs to cycle, correct???

It sounds like the glow plugs are not working, or you are not allowing them to cycle, since not getting fuel will not cause it to smoke when it finally does start.
    Tomfive and rtgt like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Yes, I am following the Glow Plug Cycle, I have owned this tractor since March 2013 and it was new with less than an hour on the clock. I have not had this issue until recently so something has changed. During the summer even if I didn't follow the glow plug cycle it always fired in a couple of cranks, just smoked, now I have to crank it for 10-15 seconds before it fires. I am worried more about this winter when the snow is flying and it is below zero here in Michigan and it not starting when I need to blow snow.
    rtgt likes this.
    1994 JD 445 with 54" MMM
    2012 JD 1026R with FEL, 54" MMM, I-Match, King Kutter 4' Flex Hitch Rotary Kutter L-48-40-P-FH, JD Ballast Box.
    Tektite Cab to the 1026R

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:58 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,325 Times in 2,598 Posts
    This sounds fuel related to me, like you have an air leak. Have you let the fuel pump prime for a few prior to attempting to start? Try this the next time it *should* be slow starting again and see if that makes a difference. If it does, change the filters again and pay attention to seals and hose ends looking for leaks.

Note, you can have an air leak but not have fuel leak. I know that sounds strange, but it happens all the time with diesels.

Make sure your electric pump is even working. You can pull the line off the filter and turn the key on. Observe the flow. It should be pretty good, not a trickle.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:24 AM
    Thanks
    I also think you're losing your fuel prime, check all over for any loose fittings or signs of fuel seepage.
    glc, etcallhome, rtgt and 1 others like this.
    1984 JD 316 w/ cat 0 3-pt hitch and 2000 rpm pto, 48" tiller, 49" snowblower, 42" belly mower
    2015 JD 1025r, 60d MMM, 54" front mounted snowblower, Heavy hitch, Ballast box
    1980 JD 1050 4wd, JD 75 loader, IH 60" brush hog
    1980? Satoh S550g Elk, 60" belly mower
    McCulloch Saws - 1970's Mini Mac 30; Mac 10-10
    1978 Ariens Sno-Thro 32"; Troy-Bilt 24" snoblower
    1996 Polaris 680 Ultra Snowmobile, 2004 Yamaha Raptor 660, 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570
    1996 KTM EXC 300
    Gravely ZT-HD 60"

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:26 AM
    Thanks
    Do you use any diesel fuel additives? Have you recently changed sources for your fuel? Just brainstorming.
    rtgt likes this.
    Greg

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,539 Times in 1,422 Posts
    I don't think this new starting problem and the very recent tractor service are a coincidence. The advice given is spot on. I would be looking for an air leak or perhaps the fuel pump has stopped working. Fuel pumps tend to either work or not work but an air leak in the system adds complicating consequences.

One of the things I have noticed is when the fuel pump isn't working the tractor starts hard, will lose power going up hills and it will run just fine headed down hill or on level ground, once you get it running. But it did run with the pump not functioning.

Any chance you put the small fuel filter in backwards or that you have the fuel filter in the separator not installed fully in the up position, affecting the fuel flow after the engine has been sitting?

What about a fuel line being pinched as a result of the service? The little under the floor board filter is a challenge to change and it helps to loosen the clamp on the fuel line. Maybe the clamp got turned and is partially pinching the line or maybe even this area is a source of your air leak......

Does the glow plug dash light seem to be staying on as before and going off after the normal amount of time?

Cranking for 10 to 15 seconds is quite a bit of time, really. Be careful about keeping the starter engaged too long when you are having trouble with the starting.

I am sure you will, but please make sure to let us know what you find is the culprit so others can learn from your experience. Hope you find the resolution an easy one. You are going to need it for snow duties pretty soon.......
    Carvel Loafer, rtgt and AJgrn78 like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:24 AM
    Thanks
    Sundancer, do you hear the electric fuel pump run when you turn the key to “on”?

It’s been observed before where the wire has been pulled out of the pump, or I believe they can just go bad.
    etcallhome and rtgt like this.
    1984 JD 316 w/ cat 0 3-pt hitch and 2000 rpm pto, 48" tiller, 49" snowblower, 42" belly mower
    2015 JD 1025r, 60d MMM, 54" front mounted snowblower, Heavy hitch, Ballast box
    1980 JD 1050 4wd, JD 75 loader, IH 60" brush hog
    1980? Satoh S550g Elk, 60" belly mower
    McCulloch Saws - 1970's Mini Mac 30; Mac 10-10
    1978 Ariens Sno-Thro 32"; Troy-Bilt 24" snoblower
    1996 Polaris 680 Ultra Snowmobile, 2004 Yamaha Raptor 660, 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570
    1996 KTM EXC 300
    Gravely ZT-HD 60"

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    I don't think this new starting problem and the very recent tractor service are a coincidence. The advice given is spot on. I would be looking for an air leak or perhaps the fuel pump has stopped working. Fuel pumps tend to either work or not work but an air leak in the system adds complicating consequences. I checked the Fuel Pump yesterday, I placed my hand on it and turned the Key on and felt it running. If this continues, I will do a flow test when I remove the FEL and install the Snow Blower.

One of the things I have noticed is when the fuel pump isn't working the tractor starts hard, will lose power going up hills and it will run just fine headed down hill or on level ground, once you get it running. But it did run with the pump not functioning. When running, I have no power issues.

Any chance you put the small fuel filter in backwards or that you have the fuel filter in the separator not installed fully in the up position, affecting the fuel flow after the engine has been sitting? No, I have been a mechanic since the mid 60s and I am very careful on that aspect.

What about a fuel line being pinched as a result of the service? The little under the floor board filter is a challenge to change and it helps to loosen the clamp on the fuel line. Maybe the clamp got turned and is partially pinching the line or maybe even this area is a source of your air leak...... An air leak might be a possibility and I will have to check it during the change over.

Does the glow plug dash light seem to be staying on as before and going off after the normal amount of time? Glow plug light has not changed and acts normal.

Cranking for 10 to 15 seconds is quite a bit of time, really. Be careful about keeping the starter engaged too long when you are having trouble with the starting. I am very careful about overheating the starter, I did that once when I was a kid and it was a very miserable experiance changing out laying on the ground with minimal access.

I am sure you will, but please make sure to let us know what you find is the culprit so others can learn from your experience. Hope you find the resolution an easy one. You are going to need it for snow duties pretty soon.......

See the above in red.
    1994 JD 445 with 54" MMM
    Tektite Cab to the 1026R

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AJgrn78 View Post
    Sundancer, do you hear the electric fuel pump run when you turn the key to “on”?

It’s been observed before where the wire has been pulled out of the pump, or I believe they can just go bad.
    I placed my hand on the pump and turned the key on and felt the pump running yesterday. I then started the tractor after a minute or so and it started right up as in the olden days. I just might have to wait a lot longer to start, though I still don't know what might have changed. This issue did not start immediately after the filter change out but several months later. The filters were changed last fall and I went through the winter with no issues until late this summer when it started acting up.
    1994 JD 445 with 54" MMM
    Tektite Cab to the 1026R

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast