Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: 1 series hood. getting scratches out of it

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:45 PM
    Thanks

1 series hood. getting scratches out of it

Does anyone have any experience with removing scratches from their plastic hood. Just wondering if it is green all the way through to be able to sand and buff the scratches out. I had some shingles fall out of the bucket (granular side down), and scarred the top of the hood up.

I know it is just a tractor, but I try to keep my equipment running and looking the best they can.
    Toughsox likes this.
    12' 1026R I-Match, Ballast box, 53" auto connect FEL, 60" auto connect MMM deck, 54" snow blower (Member since 9/2011, but deleted my old account after the data breach)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:09 PM
    Thanks
    You might try fine sandpaper to bring the surrounding surfaces down a bit, and follow with some judicious heat gun magic to try and "skin" it over.

But, I would definitely test that out someplace other than the top of your hood, ...maybe the inside of one of the side panels, or better yet, a green 5-gallon plastic bucket to make sure it works to your satisfaction.
    • 2019 1025R
    • 120R Loader - 53" Bucket
    • 54" Mower Deck - Auto-Attach, Independent Lift Option, Mulch Kit
    • Beet Juice in Rear Tires

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:05 PM
    Thanks
    Before you do anything, talk to a body shop guy. He will tell you flat out if it can be fixed up or not.
    glc, jdforever, Toughsox and 2 others like this.
    2016-1025 FILB, 54" FEL, 54" Front Blower, 54" MMM, Brush Guards, Front and rear LED work lights
    BXpanded-backhoe thumb, bucket teeth, backhoe dolly
    Kens hooks w/ shackles (3 on Bucket), Diff Lock Pedal, backhoe steps
    Artillian Blinders
    Bush hog SBX 480 box blade, BX 600 box Blade
    Frontier LR2060L landscape Rake w/ gauge wheels, subsoiler
    Woods RBC 60 Rear Blade
    Land Pride QH-15 quick hitch
    Everything Attachments 60" Pine Needle Raked
    Garber Easy Seed 60" drop spreader

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:16 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,520 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rrbattani View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with removing scratches from their plastic hood. Just wondering if it is green all the way through to be able to sand and buff the scratches out. I had some shingles fall out of the bucket (granular side down), and scarred the top of the hood up.

I know it is just a tractor, but I try to keep my equipment running and looking the best they can.
    I can tell you from personal experience the hood is black material beneath the green paint and I ended up getting a new hood, at about $300......as mine was chipped up from glass shards when the windshield shattered. There is a thread about the incident somewhere.......
    glc, Tomfive, chex313 and 5 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:07 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 1,229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    I can tell you from personal experience the hood is black material beneath the green paint and I ended up getting a new hood, at about $300......as mine was chipped up from glass shards when the windshield shattered. There is a thread about the incident somewhere.......
    I was going to comment that if it is anything like the L&G hoods it will be black under the green but held off thinking maybe the 1-series is different. I agree. There is no good way to restore the hood to its previous condition.

Live with the "badges of use" or spring for a new hood. :-)
    glc, Tomfive, mdgilbreath and 5 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:05 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rrbattani View Post

I haven't worried about the scratches on the plastic hood on my 1023E, but the plastic hood on my lawn tractor is always vastly improved after polishing with a Porter Cable 7424XP and some Adam's Polishes polishing compounds. That's where I'd start on the hood of my 1023E.
    chex313, Toughsox and Bill56 like this.
    2019 John Deere 1023E SCUT with 120R FEL
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Titan 3-Point 2" Receiver Hitch
    Titan 42 inch Chinese pallet forks
    Titan Chinese Ballast Box
    Field Tuff FTF-60PSR3PT Pine Straw Rake, 3 Pt - modified for 2" receiver
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-27-2019 @ 12:46 PM
    Thanks
    Well, the hoods and side panels are plastic, but not the same as what everyone seems to think.
    They are painted. They will polish up just like any other painted part.
    Surely Im not the only one whose noticed this....
    The fenders and lower plastic (around the foot deck) are the molded green plastic that not much can be done with.
    Of course, you can actually paint the other panels too, with proper prep...but thats not what was asked.
    jdforever, kylew and Toughsox like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:22 PM
    Thanks
    If you can see green at the bottom of the scratch you may be able to buff it out, or blend it in a bit at worse case.

I have buffed on many plastic JD tractors and on some the green is thicker than others. I burned thru on my X595 hood trying to get some deep scratches out. I doubt you would notice it unless I pointed it out.

I use this 3M product Part# 05973 with a non orbital pneumatic buffer. I have no experience with the newer foam buffing pads so I just use an old school wool pad. I saw this same product with Mcguires car polish name on it.

This is also what I use at the shop to buff out those cloudy headlight lenses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190924_183720.jpg  
    2016 1025R FILB: Loaded R4's - 72# Starters - 60" MMM - Mechanical lift - 260 BH - H120 - 53" bucket - Ballast box - 647 Tiller - JD 40 gal 3 pt sprayer
    2003 X595: R3's - 62C MMM - 3 pt hitch - 47" blower - 80 cart - Brinly 24x36 roller - Parker lawn sweeper - 10 suitcase weights
    1994 445: Sold
    2004 X485 AWS:
    Sold

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    09-26-2019 @ 04:30 PM
    Thanks
    First light spray w/ water & see if Scratch hides. If so:

1) Wet sand with a block start w/ 1000-1500 grit for the deep parts (perpendicular to the scratch) NOT TOO DEEP
    2) Final sand 2000-3000 grit Kind of in a cross hatch pattern (gently w/ small DA ok)
    3) Buff using a D/A & heavy compound on a firm foam pad (Removes the sanding scratches )
    4) Polish with polishing (or correcting) compound a medium pad
    5) Apply a nice coat of wax with DA & soft pad (or by hand)

Or bring it to your local friendly detailer. Such a small job he prob won't charge much to do the above with the proper stuff.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 08:32 PM
    Thanks
    Just add flames...
    mark02tj, keane, Randog and 2 others like this.
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isn’t paying attention*

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast