First, huge thanks to duwem for all the texts and advice he's been giving me!
I finally decided to post up on the forum with my project. I bought a 655 a few years ago, and it never seemed to have enough power. I had read the 655's were a bit of a dog, but I liked the size and what it could do. It was fine for the most part, but still struggled more than I liked, even simply mowing the lawn. I did need to rebuild the engine as soon as I bought it so I went 20-over on the pistons. I now have 26.8 hours on the engine and figured it was about time to give it a little more pep. I didn't want to destroy the reliability so I'm only going for 3-5 psi of boost, just a bit to get around 18-20HP.
This is how it started:
I took a lot of pictures as I was tearing it down, but I apparently don't have one of the complete engine bay fully assembled so this will have to do. The air cleaner mounts sideways across the valve cover. Search Google:
I bought a VZ21 turbo off ebay for $130. Its an RHB3 knockoff. I'm slightly nervous about the quality in that I don't want it to shred and take out my rebuilt engine, but I apparently its a risk I'm willing to take. I am relocating the battery to a 'weight box' up front to clear room for the turbo. I want the machine to look stock from the outside but getting rid of the battery was the only way to fit the turbo without a massive headache, and besides, a weight box of front doesn't look out of place and will complement the 160 lbs of weight I already had up there. I guess I do have a pic with the air cleaner:
The hinge will be flipped the other way.
Since the turbo wouldn't be right off the manifold, I was worried about the tubing holding all that weight so I made a pass-thru bracket to mount the turbo and piping to for a little extra support:
With the turbo mocked up, I got to work on fabbing the exhaust piping. Lots of pie cuts:
I mocked up where the air cleaner would go (moving up about 3 inches) and got to work on more plumbing (and a more pie cuts):
Once I had this all done, I needed to do some testing
This video is just the turbo hooked up and not touching the fuel":
John Deere 655 Turbo Diesel Tractor - YouTube
And this is after I adjusted the fuel:
And this is where the project currently stands! More to come!