• 10 Post By BigK
  • 3 Post By Auguste

Thread: Rear Diff Not Disengaging

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:37 PM
    Thanks

Rear Diff Not Disengaging

So I was getting the dreaded circles around my trees while mowing and noticed a considerable "drag" and poor turning radius on my 1025r last week. Thought my 4x4 was locked up so I did some searching on this site (you are all a great resource!) and tested by 4x4 by lifting the front up with the bucket, driving in reverse with the 4x4 on and off and it was working fine. Now what? Has to be the rear diff. I slightly jack up the rear of the tractor and did the wheel spin test. Sure enough, they are spinning together in both directions. I inspect and try adjusting the linkage. No dice. Adjust the linkage back to original position. Frustrated at this point and with this being my first SCUT, I call my dealer and take it in. When I drop it off, I explained everything to the tech and also mentioned that the brake pedal seems a bit sloppy (this should have been my first clue). He unloaded it, tested it, and confirms yes...I have a problem. I take off. Ran to do an errand on the way home. Completed the errand and my phone rings before I get home. It's the dealer. You tractor is done. Sweet! What was the problem? I had a small rock stuck between the brake Bellcrank (according to parts diagram) and the axle. Pictures shown below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JD 1025r Brake Axle.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	706804
    This is not my actual tractor. I borrowed the picture from this site for lack of taking my own picture.

Name:	JD 1025r Brake Rock.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	706806
    This little rock had to be broken into 3 pieces to get it out of there. Hard to believe this little bugger was causing so much trouble.

The dealer was great. Didn't charge me a dime! I stopped at the local party store and picked them boys up a case of beer as a big thank you! Another live and learn moment. That's why I'm posting here to possibly help someone else out in the future just in case they have the same issue.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigK For This Useful Post:

130Oxbow (09-26-2019), cwlumbra (09-26-2019), DeltaPop (09-30-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 12:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigK View Post
    So I was getting the dreaded circles around my trees while mowing and noticed a considerable "drag" and poor turning radius on my 1025r last week. Thought my 4x4 was locked up so I did some searching on this site (you are all a great resource!) and tested by 4x4 by lifting the front up with the bucket, driving in reverse with the 4x4 on and off and it was working fine. Now what? Has to be the rear diff. I slightly jack up the rear of the tractor and did the wheel spin test. Sure enough, they are spinning together in both directions. I inspect and try adjusting the linkage. No dice. Adjust the linkage back to original position. Frustrated at this point and with this being my first SCUT, I call my dealer and take it in. When I drop it off, I explained everything to the tech and also mentioned that the brake pedal seems a bit sloppy (this should have been my first clue). He unloaded it, tested it, and confirms yes...I have a problem. I take off. Ran to do an errand on the way home. Completed the errand and my phone rings before I get home. It's the dealer. You tractor is done. Sweet! What was the problem? I had a small rock stuck between the brake Bellcrank (according to parts diagram) and the axle. Pictures shown below.

Name:	JD 1025r Brake Axle.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	706804
    This is not my actual tractor. I borrowed the picture from this site for lack of taking my own picture.

Name:	JD 1025r Brake Rock.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	706806
    This little rock had to be broken into 3 pieces to get it out of there. Hard to believe this little bugger was causing so much trouble.

The dealer was great. Didn't charge me a dime! I stopped at the local party store and picked them boys up a case of beer as a big thank you! Another live and learn moment. That's why I'm posting here to possibly help someone else out in the future just in case they have the same issue.

That was nice of you and your big problem was broken up into dust
    greenharley, Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    Auguste . . . a blue collar guy working in a white collar world
    Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada

1025r Tractor aka Bucky ~ New in April 2018 ~ 225 hours to date, about 13 hours per month - - - no lawn cutting

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Forks ~ Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~ DeThatcher ~ iMatch Quick Hitch ~ Landscape rake

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements