Like Tree134Likes

Thread: Opinions: is SCUT going to work

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 07:53 PM
    Thanks

Opinions: is SCUT going to work

I am contemplating a 1025r. I was able to borrow a
    Mahindra eMax 22 HST FEL to dig some fence post concrete out of the ground. What happened after I finished is what Iím sure typically happens. Since I have a FEL Iíll just move this. Oh I can move this dirt and fill some holes in. Oh let me smooth this ground out. Basically I kept finding things to do with it. Let me try this finishing mower on this over growth behind the garage. Let me just scrape the thorny overgrowth with the FEL instead.

It got me thinking, maybe I can get a small Scoop for my mower for mulch and moving pea gravel around. That transitioned to me finding the SCUT market (TTWT) and looking at a used 2017 1025TLB 100hr with 60Ē MMM for $14k locally and a Ď19 1025r w/ FEL, frontier box blade, trailer and MMM for about $20k.

So the question is, can I legitimately justify replacing my Cub Cadet 46Ē non-ZT mower with a 1025r for twice weekly cuttings and honey doís? In my mind I can justify anything of course, but wanted owner opinions. With the Cub it takes about an hour to mow. The Mahindra was definitely faster in speed.

I have an acre of property in total with Bermuda grass and weeds. The area is flat and open mostly save for a few obstacles in the back yard. I donít mow AROUND anything, just go by them in straight lines including the small amount of trees (3) in the front yard.

The wife loves mulch in her garden, my back doesnít I usually get a truck load or two of it a year and figured a FEL would be useful for moving it around the house. Plus I want to top dress and level the yard which could mean putting tons of top soil on the yard yearly until itís smooth.

I need a French drain done (backhoe). I need to move 5 tons of rock to the back yard for our pool oasis. Iím constantly saying, you know a tractor would make this task easier.

It costs about $200 to rent a Kubota BX locally for 8 hours. However if I break it, Iíve bought it so Iím wary of rentals. The motor can blow and their contract holds me liable. Iíd rather spend money fixing up stuff I own

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Merc123 For This Useful Post:

Tractor Tim†(09-29-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:10 PM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc123 View Post
    I am contemplating a 1025r. I was able to borrow a
    Mahindra eMax 22 HST FEL to dig some fence post concrete out of the ground. What happened after I finished is what Iím sure typically happens. Since I have a FEL Iíll just move this. Oh I can move this dirt and fill some holes in. Oh let me smooth this ground out. Basically I kept finding things to do with it. Let me try this finishing mower on this over growth behind the garage. Let me just scrape the thorny overgrowth with the FEL instead.

It got me thinking, maybe I can get a small Scoop for my mower for mulch and moving pea gravel around. That transitioned to me finding the SCUT market (TTWT) and looking at a used 2017 1025TLB 100hr with 60Ē MMM for $14k locally and a Ď19 1025r w/ FEL, frontier box blade, trailer and MMM for about $20k.

So the question is, can I legitimately justify replacing my Cub Cadet 46Ē non-ZT mower with a 1025r for twice weekly cuttings and honey doís? In my mind I can justify anything of course, but wanted owner opinions. With the Cub it takes about an hour to mow. The Mahindra was definitely faster in speed.

I have an acre of property in total with Bermuda grass and weeds. The area is flat and open mostly save for a few obstacles in the back yard. I donít mow AROUND anything, just go by them in straight lines including the small amount of trees (3) in the front yard.

The wife loves mulch in her garden, my back doesnít I usually get a truck load or two of it a year and figured a FEL would be useful for moving it around the house. Plus I want to top dress and level the yard which could mean putting tons of top soil on the yard yearly until itís smooth.

I need a French drain done (backhoe). I need to move 5 tons of rock to the back yard for our pool oasis. Iím constantly saying, you know a tractor would make this task easier.

It costs about $200 to rent a Kubota BX locally for 8 hours. However if I break it, Iíve bought it so Iím wary of rentals. The motor can blow and their contract holds me liable. Iíd rather spend money fixing up stuff I own

You should be able to purchase "insurance" with any rental.

With only an acre...skip the backhoe...rent a mini ex for your couple projects.

Yes a FEL is very handy.
    Herminator likes this.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Iíve had the precursor to the 1025r for 13 years on seven acres. Iíve never needed a back hoe. This spring my neighbor next door on his one acre bought a John Deere shovel for his X324 and quickly got a Johnny Bucket which he is pleased with. Why he didnít do all this many years ago Iíll never understand. Itís all in what you would like and can afford. My advice is to stick with what you get. Trading in/up is a loser.
    Herminator likes this.
    2006 2305, 880 hours, 200CX FEL, Imatch (stationary hook), Frontier 1060E RFM, BB2048L, LR1060L, JD403 rotary cutter, Wallenstein CAN BX42, Since Tractor Time With Tim: Artillian forks, Front Hoe, 3PT adaptor, 2" receiver plate, Heavy Hitch dual weight bracket, HH Tooth bar, HH ripper/middle buster.
    Used 2014 X324 AWS 48"/Powerflo bags; 2011 Craigslist: X540 54Ē, MC519/Powerflo, 48 front blade; Ď78 316K/33 tiller. Ď80 314 project.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 06:11 PM
    Thanks
    I would skip the backhoe as well. Very expensive (~$6k) unless you need it a lot. A 50hp mini excavator is 40 times as potent at digging and can be had for $600 bucks for the weekend. You could dig up your entire acre yard with it.

I have a 1025r on 7 acres and it is perfect for my situation. 3 acres of cleared land, an acre of lightly wooded and 3 acres of forest and trails. A clear acre seems like it could be managed without a tractor BUT I would never be without a tractor again after having one. Like you are thinking, you will find things to do with it once you have it. Also, helping neighbors and friends is really rewarding. Clearing a snowed in neighbor, helping a friend make trails or moving their gravel... its tons of fun.

Over 15+ years I do think it will pay for itself and it will also be a lot of fun to use, work on, learn about.
    Herminator and FortClatsop like this.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:58 PM
    Thanks
    I have a 1023E and use it for woods and yard chores on my 2.5 acre lake home. There are a couple of little projects where a backhoe would be really convenient, but those few chores just aren't worth the thousands of $$$ a BH would cost, not to mention the hassles of removing/installing and finding a place to store it conveniently. At $200 per day for an excavator and less than that for a tractor with backhoe, the cost of a backhoe buys a lot more digging time than I can ever use.
    Herminator and FortClatsop like this.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:15 AM
    Thanks
    I traded in my x748 on a 1025R TLB in late 2013, first year for the 1025R. I bought the TLB (tractor - loader - backhoe) because I new I was going to use the BH pretty much the first couple years as I was in the planning stages of building my garage and some pretty serious retaining wall and landscape work. I do not regret buying the BH when I bought the tractor.

I know many say, rent a mini-excavator and I get that. The issue I have with renting something is, you have to do the job when you can rent the machine and you have to complete it during the rental period of time.

I needed the BH for misc. digging jobs and I wanted to do them when I wanted to do them, sort of the way I am on everything.

Granted, the BH isn't a mini-excavator but then most jobs done with the BH aren't major jobs so they can easily be done with the BH.

Concerning your questions, "can I legitimately justify" buying a 1025R. I will just say this, I really don't believe we legitimately justify too many things that we buy. We buy stuff because we want it, not because we can justify it. I think it is more about; can we afford it, and based on priority, where is this thing that I want to buy on my list of priorities.

So, it sounds like you want a 1025R!! It sound like you have FEL work, mmm work, and BH work (french drains) and maybe snow removal, depending on where you live.

My property is one acre, all on a hill except the top where the house and garage set. I use my 1025R for mowing, snow removal, FEL work, BH work.

Tasks that I have used my 1025R for are: digging all the trenches for utility and drainage lines when I built my garage, used the FEL and BH for all digging work and back-fill work when I built all my retaining walls (I hired a contractor to lay the walls but I did all the digging, back-fill, and dress up work), mow weekly (sometimes twice), mulch every spring with FEL, installed some drainage lines that I have wanted to do since I bought my house in the early 90's, etc., etc., etc.

Things that I didn't do before because of the work, I now have done, plus more.

IMO, the 1 series, or the 2025R, is the perfect sized tractor for the average homeowner with one acre Ī.

So, the real questions are:
    1. do you want one?
    2. can you afford one? (they aren't cheap and you will be buying attachments for the rest of your life, and you will have to build a garage to keep it in, etc. )
    3. did you buy it yet????

Some projects that I have done (top picture is before):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0843.JPG Plumbing Trench 2.jpg IMG_0945.JPG IMG_0958.JPG 20181108_214147766_iOS.jpg

20170704_165518.jpg 20170729_133038.jpg 20181205_195512958_iOS.jpg French Drain_6.jpg French Drain_2.jpg

Garage Rear Ramp_11.jpg Garage Rear Ramp_2.jpg
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray_PA For This Useful Post:

JRCHRISTENSEN†(09-29-2019)

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:04 PM
    Thanks
    I find the backhoe a lot more useful than I thought I would. It solves problems which cannot be solved with the FEL.

Will it actually pay for itself? Maybe not, but who cares!

As for one acre. I had a calf acre, and had enormous amount of productivity and fun with my 1025r TLB.

You have already proven that you enjoy working with a SCUT.

If you can afford it, get it!
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 06:06 PM
    Thanks
    Im with Tim. In a previous life I worked for a landscaping company. I could bring home Bobcats, back hoes, dump trucks, anything I needed at no cost. When I left that life I was stuck hiring others or doing it by hand. That lasted all of about 2 yrs. My 425 with loader wasnt cutting it. I got a 1025r TL with mower, added a brush hog, york rake, and tiller but that didnt solve the back hoe fix. As of last week I have a 2025 TLB. I will find tons of uses at my 1 acre property, my moms place, and neighbors that need small jobs done. If the back hoe sits for 350 days a year its still there when I need it. No rental needed. Dont let anyone tell you if you dont "need" a back hoe not to get it. Of course it depends one how much you WANT it. Also dont be afraid to trade up if the first try isnt big enough. There is nothing more frustrating that tackling a job with a "too small" machine. Usually somewhere an hour in to it, I would gladly pay another chunk to have the right machine. As we get older and closer to retiring we have to think about why I worked those 40 yrs if it wasnt to have some things I WANT. If you can afford it, you deserve whatever you want.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hiwire For This Useful Post:

lindsey97†(09-29-2019)

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Thanks
    I can tell you from experience that the TLB is a good way to go....now having said that I have about 7-8 acres and had some stumps needing work. I traded my JD990 which was 40 h.p. with front end loader and some equipment for a used 2014 TLB. A dealer South of my area had tractor...was traded in and had 550 hrs. I do my own tractor work and have restored tractors so I worked out a trade. Had to do a few minor things but previous owner had done good maintenance. I've been more, more than pleased. Just this weekend did a stump for a neighbor. Now having said about the backhoe, they are an over powerhouse but will give you enough digging for trenching, routine excavation, etc. I really love the backhoe and my model has the revolving seat and I love using the backhoe with grapple purchased from a vendor. I modernized backhoe so I could use the new grapple. Personally I think getting used models is an area that is vastly overlooked, however JD's financing is a real key on new purchases. I don't like the double seats on the newer units and I don't like the belly mower at all. Have mine off as I have rear finish on my 4400 and a zero turn. The mower is in the way for backhoe work and I don't like the quickhatch rattley situation....but remember Deere is trying to meet all needs in one small tractor. Also they are trying to reach all genders and age groups. I think the small configuration is great for homeowners as you can really get it in tight places. One might want to check with Good works tractors as he has a lot of nice stuff. Seldom see the backhoe configuration "used" at many dealers. I had to search within 150 plus miles for one. Tells me that folks hang onto them....however my deal the previous owner traded in for a 2025 which is higher..."in my opinion" not better for close use and doesn't offer much if any more power to the cylinders. Higher "in my opinion" is not better in backhoes..good luck on your choices....
    Herminator, ClissAT and Dr Kubar like this.

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,169 Times in 828 Posts
    We can "justify" anything we want.

There are lots of other people that will tell you that you don't need it. Take a peak into their garages' and you'll find all kinds of "stuff you don't need" like motorcycles, sports cars, boats, dirt bikes, ATV's, UTV's, snowmobiles, etc, etc.

I would guess that a large portion of the tractors & equipment owned by members of this site would fall further into the "Want" category than the "Need". Mine certainly does.

I wonder how many of the "just go rent an excavator" folks have even actually gone and rented a piece of equipment like a tractor or excavator? I used to be one of those go rent it folks, but I never had more than an occasional need for something like a backhoe. I did rent every now and then. Wasn't terrible, but I wouldn't want to do it very often.

Now I have one, and a place that I can play with it. I don't regret not buying one before, because it would have just sat most of the time. Kind of fun having one now, and being able to use it.

Boils down to just a few questions that only you can answer, the big one being can you afford it. We all spend money of stuff we just want.

So how bad do you want to join the "I've got a _______ club"?
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast