Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 1025R possible run on issue

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 09:01 AM
    Thanks

1025R possible run on issue

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and came here for some help. My In-laws purchased a new 1025R in 2015 to do some simple chores around the house. It is manly used to muck stalls and move gravel. It's not overused or abused at all. It only has 106 hours on the dash.

A few weeks ago, I was using it to fill a waterline trench. The tractor was at an appropriate RPM, and all of a sudden, the rpm elevated to high rate and the machine began to smoke. I killed it, lowered the bucket and throttle. I restarted the machine, and it ran like normal. We thought it may be a fluke, or an issue from having it on un-level terrain??

Well yesterday the problem returned and was much worse. My father in-law was using the machine to move rocks from the pasture. He had half a bucket, and was transporting them by road to a washout. He said the engine rpms started to screamed, and he tried to turn it off. He pulled the key, and supposedly it continued to run and engulfed the area in thick white smoke. He got off the tractor and in theory, waited for the engine to blow. The machine died after less than an minute. I was not there to witness, but i saw the smoke, and there was A LOT. In my experience, this sounds line a run-away diesel?

He came and got me, and I inspected the machine...It was just topped off with fresh diesel, oil was full, and it cranked over. I thought for sure it would have been ceased or hurt. I turned the key, and it fired and ran normal??

Any idea from the experts, bad piston rings, stuck injector? I searched the site, but I didn't see any similar issues.
    The local dealer is coming for it tomorrow, and they are totally stumped. They said they would need to see the issues repeated to diagnose.

Thanks in Advance, Jim
    etcallhome likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    glc
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Thanks
    Jfowler likes this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,609 Posts
    Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

Jfowler likes this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:43 AM
    Thanks
    I was under the impression that diesel runaways were rare with non-tubocharged diesels. Any oil in the air filter cannister? Any possibility that somebody might have inadvertently topped off the tank with a little gasoline?
    DRobinson and kylew like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:46 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,650 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
    I was under the impression that diesel runaways were rare with non-tubocharged diesels. Any oil in the air filter cannister? Any possibility that somebody might have inadvertently topped off the tank with a little gasoline?
    Aren’t 2-stroke diesels more prone to runaway?
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
    No oil in filter housing. Tank has fresh diesel. I just purchased it. I know it was diesel because I just informed them to use off-road diesel. I see that the fuel filter is now red. They were using taxed fuel...we couldn’t have that.

I don’t necessarily know if it was a run-away. It shut down. All of the cases I saw where a true run-away occurred, there was carnage. 🤷‍♂️

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:54 PM
    Thanks
    Just throwing ideas out there.
    Something wrong with the fuel pump governor or fuel shut off solenoid sticking and not shutting off the fuel supply?
    SulleyBear, Jhjesse and Jfowler like this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:21 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,424 Posts
    My money is on the air cleaner mounting position related engine damage. I strongly suggest the OP familiarize himself with the air cleaner issue on these machines............I think it's going to be "new engine" time when the dealer inspects this. I could be wrong.......It's been so long since the last time, I guess I am due......

This is one place he can start.

New Air filter update. FREE.
    kylew and Jfowler like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:21 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,424 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kylew View Post
    Just throwing ideas out there.
    Something wrong with the fuel pump governor or fuel shut off solenoid sticking and not shutting off the fuel supply?
    I thought about that as well, it would take a combination of simultaneous failures, which could happen, but its rare, especially twice.

The older models you could manually activate the fuel shut off by hand so even if it failed you could start and stop, these are not as easy to "manipulate" on these newer models.....
    kylew likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    My money is on the air cleaner mounting position related engine damage. I strongly suggest the OP familiarize himself with the air cleaner issue on these machines............I think it's going to be "new engine" time when the dealer inspects this. I could be wrong.......It's been so long since the last time, I guess I am due......

This is one place he can start.

New Air filter update. FREE.
    Thanks for the info. I'll inspect in the morning. While in for service, I'll be sure to get the updated part.
    SulleyBear likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast