Need more ground clearance JD 2305

Thread: Need more ground clearance JD 2305

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 10:14 AM
    Thanks

Need more ground clearance JD 2305

Hey Folks,

I have had my little JD 2305 for a couple years now and had been using it mostly for standard mowing (MMM), snow blowing and moving the odd payload of material. Recently the demand has chanced and I'm requiring more demand out in the field (mowing / brush cutting / moving some material). Ground clearance is becoming a concern and I'm interested in knowing if it's possible to raise the height or if I've just out grown the little guy. I'm running all class 1 attachments and horsepower and payload isn't really a concern, just find in the fields the ruts and bumps are tough for the 2305 to handle.

Running the following Attachments - mid mower, front loader, rear snowblower, box blade, small post hole digger, and brush cutter.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Thanks
    There is no real means of increasing the machine's ground clearance.

I guess the question (to me anyway!) would be "Is there a way to eliminate the ruts". It sounds as though if you could smooth out your field a bit, the clearance might not be an issue.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

RickyVW†(10-30-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 2,309 Posts
    I went through something similar some year ago.

My first compact diesel was a 2210 which is the predecessor to the present 1 series. I do a lot of my work in the woods and quickly found a couple things. One was ground clearance as you say - the other was the small tires dropping into every depression in the ground thus making it a bit tippy on the hills.

I upgraded to a 2520 where the rear tires are easily 3 times the size. Huge difference on both accounts!

Other than upgrading to a 2 or 3 series there really isnít anything you can do to your 2320.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

6. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

RickyVW†(10-30-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    There is no real means of increasing the machine's ground clearance.

I guess the question (to me anyway!) would be "Is there a way to eliminate the ruts". It sounds as though if you could smooth out your field a bit, the clearance might not be an issue.
    I wouldn't say it's impossible but I'm running on approximately 15 acres of uneven ground with some natural water run offs, it would be a tough feat to work the entire area smooth. For the short term I have made some quick fixes to get by for now

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I went through something similar some year ago.

My first compact diesel was a 2210 which is the predecessor to the present 1 series. I do a lot of my work in the woods and quickly found a couple things. One was ground clearance as you say - the other was the small tires dropping into every depression in the ground thus making it a bit tippy on the hills.

I upgraded to a 2520 where the rear tires are easily 3 times the size. Huge difference on both accounts!

Other than upgrading to a 2 or 3 series there really isnít anything you can do to your 2320.
    It would be Interesting to know if there was any tire conversation kits because what you mentioned above is spot on, small tires makes things tricky at times. If i was to upgrade I think I would jump to the 3 series but would want to find something pre-loved

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    11-06-2019 @ 01:56 AM
    Thanks
    What implements do you have? Cat1 or limited Cat1?

I would look at a pre emissions 3032E with less than 500 hours, if you can find one. Good bang for the buck, and still light enough and short enough to mow with.

What I have heard on 1025r vs. 2025r is the differences are: Longer frame, and repositioning of rear axle, larger tires, and higher psi setting on the hydrostatic drive to counter the lager tire diameter(they don't regear the axles for the taller tires)

There are a lot of folks on here who have a 2025R, and are quite happy with them. I have never operated one. What I have to compare to is a 1025R, 3032E, and a cabbed 3520.

If I couldn't find a pre emissions 3032E to purchase, and found a pre emissions 2025R or 2032R, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

I will say that my 3032E soaks up ruts and bumps much better than our 1025R. Also, a 3032E it 5 ft. wide, versus the 4ft. width of the 1025R/2025R. An increase in width will totally change your perception of stability on the same ground.

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:29 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyVW View Post
    It would be Interesting to know if there was any tire conversation kits because what you mentioned above is spot on, small tires makes things tricky at times. If i was to upgrade I think I would jump to the 3 series but would want to find something pre-loved
    Question with going to a larger wheel/tire size is, do you have a mid mower for your tractor? If so, larger diameter wheels will likely interfere with it. Another consideration of larger wheels and tires is center of gravity. You'll still have a narrow track and short wheelbase, which will make you more likely to tip over.

If you need to upgrade but a new machine is out of budget, look for a slightly older model. A 2520 or 2720 would be an excellent upgrade, there are lots of them on machinefinder with less than 500 hours on them. I traded up from a X748 to a 2520 and love the bigger machine. It's not so much bigger that it won't fit the tight places I have, but does much better on heavier tasks on rougher ground. A 2520 fits in between the new 2025 and 2032 in power, closer to the 2025 in size. The 2720 is very close to the 2032 in both size and power.
    My herd:
    2009 2520 FEL, 62D2 deck and various implements
    2002 GT235 46C deck
    1986 214 46" deck
    1986 212 38" deck
    1984 318 50" deck
    2008 X748SE gone but not forgotten

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    After a dozen years on rough ground I put a Milsco V5300 on my 2305. It didnít help the tractor one bit. The operator, however, doesnít notice the rough terrain nearly as much.
    2006 2305, 880 hours, 200CX FEL, Imatch (stationary hook), Frontier 1060E RFM, BB2048L, LR1060L, JD403 rotary cutter, Wallenstein CAN BX42, Since Tractor Time With Tim: Artillian forks, Front Hoe, 3PT adaptor, 2" receiver plate, Heavy Hitch dual weight bracket, HH Tooth bar, HH ripper/middle buster.
    Used 2014 X324 AWS 48"/Powerflo bags; 2011 Craigslist: X540 54Ē, MC519/Powerflo, 48 front blade; Ď78 316K/33 tiller. Ď80 314 project.

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 02:24 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyVW View Post
    Hey Folks,

I have had my little JD 2305 for a couple years now and had been using it mostly for standard mowing (MMM), snow blowing and moving the odd payload of material. Recently the demand has chanced and I'm requiring more demand out in the field (mowing / brush cutting / moving some material). Ground clearance is becoming a concern and I'm interested in knowing if it's possible to raise the height or if I've just out grown the little guy. I'm running all class 1 attachments and horsepower and payload isn't really a concern, just find in the fields the ruts and bumps are tough for the 2305 to handle.

Running the following Attachments - mid mower, front loader, rear snowblower, box blade, small post hole digger, and brush cutter.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated
    While I do not think your height can be fixed, you did not say if your tires were loaded. Having your tires filled with fluid will help you tremendously on the bumps. If it's the height then you just have to bite the bullet and move up to another. I started with the 2305 then went to the 2210, then to the 1026r than again to the 2032r gen1 and finally now I am running the 3046r. Each time I traded up for a reason. My first one the 2305 did not have a BH on it. Then by the time I was up to the 2032r I had bought a small farmette. I worked that poor 2032r to death. Knew I had to upgrade so I ended up with the 3046r. This will be my last tractor as I am retiring next year and have no plans on buying another.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements