Any down-side to installing a 'Block Heater' in a 1025R ?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Any down-side to installing a 'Block Heater' in a 1025R ?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 02:38 PM
    Thanks

Any down-side to installing a 'Block Heater' in a 1025R ?

Hi all,

I am in Michigan, and am considering installing a 'block heater' in my 1025R.

Seems like I read some posts a few years ago about people having problems with the JD Block Heater 'burning out' quickly and not working.

Can I get some feedback from people that installed the block heater.... and what your experience has been? Do you like it, regret it.... ?

Are there any downsides or issues from installing the block heater? Any problems with 'leakage' etc?

I am thinking about having the dealer do it, so that if something gets screwed up, it is on them.

As it stands now, my 1025 sputters and chugs for about 10 seconds and blasts smoke out on a 60 degree day.... winter is exponentially worse.

Thanks.
    smalltime likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:34 PM
    Thanks
    No drawbacks that I can see. You lose your coolant in the process of installing it, but it can be recycled, I just replaced mine. It dramatically improves cold weather starting, no smoke or sputtering. I recommend it.

I'd have the dealer do it to avoid the mess. I do too much work myself, if it doesn't break the bank, have them do it.
    Last edited by marlinguidegun; 11-08-2019 at 12:27 PM.
    Jonathan

2016 1025R FITLB : OTC (winter only) : AF10F front blade : Titan 42" forks : 60" First Choice RFM : KK 48" Tiller : EA 60" Pine Straw Rake : 60" Landscape Rake : Pat's Hooks : HH w/ 12 42# weights : KK Ripper/Potato Plow : Loaded Rears with 50# weights : Ken's Hooks, springs and straps : HH Tooth Bar : Edge Tamers : BXPanded 6" bucket w/coupler
    2014 X320 : Johnny Plow/Johnny Bucket : Bagger

4. The Following User Says Thank You to marlinguidegun For This Useful Post:

JoeFriday1979 (11-08-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    11-14-2019 @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    I have a 2012 1026r and had one installed when I bought it. Haven’t had any issues and it makes big difference in starting. I live in northern wi. I generally plug it in for1/2 not to hour before starting. By the time I move the snow from doorways etc it’s usually ready. When gets real cold (20below). I give it extra time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sschweik For This Useful Post:

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    I have a 2011 1026r. Live in vt so I use it often during winter even with tractor being parked in the garage. It makes a huge difference when starting.
    Mine went bad towards the end of last season so installed a new one this summer. Easy to replace too but like others said coolant needs to be replaced or captured and re-used. Mine was due for a cooloant change anyways so it worked out well.
    BigJim55, SulleyBear and kylew like this.
    Craig

John Deere 1026R - 2012
    54D Mowing Deck w/Auto Connect
    H120 FEL w/KBOH
    47" QH Snowblower w/linear actuator
    54" QH Blade w/Artillian Rubber Edge
    Heavy Hitch Bracket w/receiver & cart
    HH Quick attach Front Weight Bracket
    Lawn sweeper (left over from 420)
    Dump Cart (left over from 420)
    Loaded Turf Tires with Wheel Weights & Chains
    Most important item - Tech Manual
    Previously, 26yr owner of JD 420 w/mowing deck, & blade
    Tech Manual for 420

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 10:51 AM
    Thanks
    mine came with one when I purchased it no problems have only used it accouple of times since 2017

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dtmg For This Useful Post:

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:00 PM
    Thanks
    Installing a block heater was kind of hard in my 1023E due to the location of the frost plug...very hard to get a punch/screwdriver on the frost plug to drive it out. It would be a chip shot on a 1025R due to the more conventional location. You'll lose about a gallon of coolant, so pick some up before you start. I'd also recommend some high-temp gasket sealer to smear (judiciously) on the gasket. Also, very unlikely you'll need the long cord, so get the short one.

Also, note that this ZeroStart block heater is the same one that Deere sells as OEM (John Deere Engine Coolant Heater Kit - AR87167) for twice the price. You'll still need the adapter for your 1025R John Deere Engine Block Heater Adapter Kit - AM134805 . No cheap way out of that one.

Here is a nice step-by-step Engine Block Heater Install - 1025R
    Last edited by MacCool; 11-08-2019 at 03:36 PM. Reason: credit to KyleW for finding the good deal on the heater element.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacCool For This Useful Post:

jakubx80 (11-08-2019), JoeFriday1979 (11-08-2019)

13. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:32 PM
    Thanks
    What typically burns out the heater element is starting the engine too soon after unplugging it, or starting the engine while it's still plugged in.
    In air, the element gets scorching hot in a matter of only a couple seconds. It relies on being submerged in the coolant to keep it from burning out. What happens when you start the engine too soon, is the water pump starts circulating the coolant. The coolant that isn't close to the heater is relatively colder than the coolant next to the heater. That "colder" coolant suddenly hitting the extremely hot element causes the burnout failure. It may be instant, or burn out after a few times of doing this. To avoid this, unplug the heater and let it sit about 5 minutes before starting the engine. That gives the heater time to cool down so the inrush of colder coolant doesn't hurt it.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kylew For This Useful Post:

Don C (11-14-2019), JoeFriday1979 (11-09-2019), MacCool (11-08-2019)

15. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:16 AM
    Thanks
    I'm in northern WI and use the dealer installed block heater anytime the temp in the attached garage gets below about 35º. It makes starting so much easier and there's a lot less smoke. I plug it in a ½ hour before going out, and unplug it before starting, then cycle the glow plug 3 or 4 times and my 1025r starts like it's a warm summer day. It would be a smoky, cold blooded machine without one!!!
    2014 1025R, H120 loader w/53" bucket and Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar, 54" Auto Connect MMM, 47" QH snow blower, Ballast box and loaded rear tires, Speeco Quick Hitch, Ken's Bolt-on Grab Hooks, King Kutter Carry All, 54" front QH blade w/Heavy Hitch skids, Titan 36" pallet forks, Land Pride GS0560 Grading Scraper, and chrome (kitchen drain pipe) exhaust tip!!

1950 Allis-Chalmers B, Electric start, PTO, Belt Pulley, Hydraulic pump. Stuck engine (a work in progress)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikR For This Useful Post:

JoeFriday1979 (11-09-2019)

17. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinguidegun View Post
    I'd have the dealer do it to avoid the mess.
    Oh, the mess is the same if the dealer does it....you just wont see the mess.

Nut no,no drawbacks about putting one on.....especially in your colder climate, it will be a welcomed addition to your machine.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Toughsox For This Useful Post:

JoeFriday1979 (11-09-2019)

19. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,600 Times in 1,472 Posts
    People who have trouble let the heater run too long or as Kyle said, start the engine with the heater plugged in or soon after unplugging it, Avoid doing those and you will likely have years of trouble free operation. I have had the same block heater in the Yanmar in my 455 for over 20 years.

One important point, is the block heaters draw mice and their nests like a Motel 6 draws meth makers and their "shake and bake labs". If you keep the tractor where its not heated, if there is a way for mice to get next to the engine block, they will do it. I have seen them build nests the size of a baseball in a 12 hour period and pack it on top of the engine, usually right at the manifolds where the heat is. This means the grass and other material can catch fire from your muffler and exhaust pipes, or at a minimum, smolder and possibly damage wiring or harm paint, etc.

Once I started the tractor in the barn and a mouse comes scrambling out from under the hood with a mouse half way in the "delivery process". I grabbed the nest ir came from and threw it in the snow and there were several siblings in there. I bet that mom mouse was really unhappy with me. Thing was, I had used the tractor 12 hours before and there was no nest there then.

These block heaters are not hard to put in and not complicated to use if one uses common sense. Run it for a half hour or so before starting the tractor, no need to keep it plugged in all of the time. If you do leave it plugged in, the electric company will thank you.............and so will the mice.

You can also get magnetic heating pads for warming the hydro oil. I have used the tractor in very cold weather and it takes some time to build heat in the hydro fluid. In the meantime, the pedals push much stiffer and the FEL control levers can be much harder to move. Just letting the machine warm up usually helps build hydro heat.

The best way to keep the engine warm and to keep the heat in the hydro oil is to block the air from being pulled through the radiator and across the oil cooler in front of the radiator. Simply installing cardboard, I use the packaging from a case of Mountain Dew and it fits very well in the radiator screen area. By blocking the air from crossing the radiator, you are keeping the coolant warmer, which keeps the engine temp more consistent. Just keep an eye on the temp gauge and as long as the engine temps are in the normal range, you are fine.

Diesel engines like heat more than very cold temps so blocking the air flow is a common thing on the diesels. The main point is to prevent the cold air from the outside of the hood from being pulled across the radiator. It works. There are threads on this topic as well.............Just make sure in the spring as the temps warm to remove the cardboard to permit normal fresh air flow.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

JoeFriday1979 (11-09-2019), papaspud (11-12-2019)

21. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast