Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By dieselshadow

Thread: Hit it big time!

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    01-12-2011 @ 11:20 AM
    Thanks

Hit it big time!

Da wife is letting me purchase a new parcel of land. not much, but 10 acres is a good start. I have yet to make a purchase due to the changes, but now I need a tractor to mow the lawn, plow/blow the snow, move some dirt for landscaping, work the garden, and work in the woods with a food plot.

I was looking at Brian's 4520 and that looks nice, but a bit large for the lawn bit. What should I be looking at? My new land can sometimes be a bit wet. What tires? Am I asking to much out of one machine. $$$ talk ya know.
    John Wayne, Jonny Cash & John Deere

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    FG, Sorry about the lack of responses. I am not sure why no one is answering.

I do not have the answer for what your asking, but here is my experience.

I have a 445 with a 60 inch deck. That would be like a X720 now. That is a great lawn machine. It turns nice and has a low center of gravity. The deck is super simple to adjust for height. For a lawn tractor, there is little better.

On my farm, we have a 4110 that we wise to mow the lawn, blow snow by the barns, and general up keep with the bucket. My father also borrows this to take care of his garden with a tiller. The deck adjustment for height is done with the 3 point hitch. Adjusting height is easy, but not as accurate as the X720 would be. It does ok with the loader buy has issues with large buckets of just about anything. This has turf tires on it so that also takes away a bit from its capacity. The turning radius is not that great with 4x4 but good. Harder to get under trees with the ROPS. In the field its limited to a 57 inch tiller and does ok with it, but you have to go slow.

I have had an open station and cabbed 3720. This machine is a great all around machine but is too heavy to mow a lawn IF you are the type that wants a perfect lawn and your ground is soft. I have left ruts (small) in my yard just by driving over it. It is great with the 300cx loader for working with wood and other heavy items. I know some people put rear finish mower behind them and use the to cut large open areas. I always wanted to do that with my cab, but feared the septic field would suffer. This size machine is great for small food plot tasks. It can run a 73 inch tiller with ease and can run small ground engaging implements. It also works great for snow removal as it is smaller but heavy enough to move larger amounts of snow.

I have very little time in My 4520, but its night and day from my 3720. The engine has torque. I have yet to bog the motor a bit and I am tunning larger ground engaging equipment than my 3720 would even pull. Its way too big for the lawn. I hope its great in snow. The 400cx loader lifts much, much more than the 300cx. The specs don't seem to far off, but real world is different!

Here is what I have used. Its hard to say if a 2720 would work or if a 3520 would be better? Look at the yard you have and how soft the soil is. I am sure others will help you out with opinions!

Brian

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    07-30-2014 @ 07:12 PM
    Thanks
    IMO it depends on your land and how it is set up. Issues are typically type of septic/soil (weight/tires), how much lawn (size of mower), Hills/obstacles. As much as i would have liked to have the all-in-one tractor i quickly realized its difficult to do. Slightly more than half of my lot is still wooded so i tend to play back there a bit clearing trees, hiding implements, etc. If i used my tractor to mow i would constantly be banging the deck around while using the loader or putting it on/off all the time which is a PITA. Additionally a MMM is expensive and i would have to get turfs which increases the risk of getting a puncture in the woods.

I ultimately ended up with a 3x20 sized tractor as its plenty for my yard and stick to an old lawnmower because its ultimately easier to have 2 machines for now.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    07-01-2013 @ 10:15 PM
    Thanks
    http://productselector.deere.com/Cus...argetMarket=HO

here this is the john deere product selector for cut

hope it helps

Jfoi

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    01-12-2011 @ 11:20 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks Jfoi..... That tells me I should have a 2520 or a 3320.... So, I think my choice is going to be between the 2720 and 3520. The 3520 can get the drive over deck and give me a little wiggle room on power... But its big....

I am going to have to think this over.
    John Wayne, Jonny Cash & John Deere

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    03-07-2013 @ 12:00 PM
    Thanks
    There is a big difference between the 2x20 and 3x20 models, especially when mowing lawns. Go sit on them and check them out!

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 10:12 AM
    Thanks
    The 2720 is the way to go. Your not going to want anything bigger in the yard and to drive through the woods. We have one at my landscaping job and it had more HP than the 3000 we had before and best I remember the same gpm on the pump. Very nice Tractor and it went just as fast in high on the road as the 3000.

10. Top | #8
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:41 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,325 Times in 2,598 Posts
    This is an old old thread Swampmule. You probably won't get any responses from the OP.
    johnH123 and TickTock like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements