Experience with HandiHitch for 1026R sized tractor? (iMatch version)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Experience with HandiHitch for 1026R sized tractor? (iMatch version)

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-05-2014 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks

Experience with HandiHitch for 1026R sized tractor? (iMatch version)

Came across this ad on eBay from Redland Hill, a company that manufactures the "HandiHitch" (see http://www.redlandhill.com/drawbars.html ):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-POINT-DRAW...item45edae5a75

Am wondering about using a hitch like this, versus just using a drawbar (which I realize will turn, "spin" in the lift arm connectors)? Seems one could just lock a drawbar into the iMatch hitch (or, just put it into the lift arm connectors directly), and accomplish the same thing?

Or, maybe the 2-inch receiver hitches are the way to go (which seem to have the drawback of no holes in the drawbar to just hook an implement, too, directly, unless one keeps taking the ball off the receiver hitch)?

Advantages, disadvantages of each type? Appreciate any shared experiences, help in this matter!! I realize this depends on how large a trailer, etc. one is lugging around, size of tractor, etc ... have a small trailer (and, rather small implements... making my way from Cat 0 to Cat 1 sized implements, adapting to my new 1026R).

Have come to realize that the "drawbar" on the 1026R is not very useful.. as the PTO shaft is in the way for hooking anything like a trailer to it... so, guess one has to go to using the link arms to pull and tow with...

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:11 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,074 Times in 2,540 Posts
    First a question please...Do you weld or have a friend that welds? This is a great DIY project, and you can get things like old truck receiver hitches cheap or even free.

I made mine years ago, then re-did it a few months ago, here is a thread on it: http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...ighlight=heavy

I also do not believe the Redland one is iMatch compatible either if you have one.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 672 Posts
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks

Receiver Hitches, Old Truck Receivers and Welding

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    First a question please...Do you weld or have a friend that welds? This is a great DIY project, and you can get things like old truck receiver hitches cheap or even free.

I made mine years ago, then re-did it a few months ago, here is a thread on it: http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...ighlight=heavy

I also do not believe the Redland one is iMatch compatible either if you have one.

Yes, I do weld... have both an arc and mig welder. Don't have the acetylene for cutting the iron (I guess could use the arc welder, or, maybe the Sawzall will work!), though... a problem. Had not thought about the junk yard route to a receiver... great idea! Problem is, iron is also expensive... although can perhaps raid my brother's (a farmer) trees for some old machinery iron. Now if I can just find the time...

On Redland, they are now making an iMatch compatible (ad claims such, confirmed by a phone call to them) HandiHitch. They lowered the upper cross/support iron (looking at pictures of the older/other version) to accomodate the top hook on the iMatch (which I have), so, it should work.

Thanks!

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyM View Post
    I did look at your design earlier... got me to wondering about pulling a heavier trailer (loaded with sand or dirt) with the 3-point fully raised? It would seem there would be less stress on the lift arms (i.e. draft links) if more parallel with the trailer hitch/load? I can see your point about the potential for a load becoming unbalanced, or a terrain shift or some such, and the 3-point jumping up... not a good deal, dangerous. As you point out, your design is safer. Also, I like the various adjustments you have for height, etc (and I see the LandPride also appears to have an adjustment for the upper hook? How is that used??)

Am not used to thinking about pulling heavy loads with 3-point hitches... have always used the traditional tractor drawbar...so, am learning. And, this 1026R does not have a drawbar... only a plate with a couple of holes in it, tucked under the PTO shaft... not functional (wondering if JD, or someone else, makes a regular drawbar, even swinging, for it??). My old Satoh Beaver S-370 at least has a regular drawbar (and I use a drawbar in the 3-point Cat 0, too, but only for very light loads, like a small tow-behind Fimco sprayer... which works great, because can raise it up to keep the suction hose toward the back of the tank "buried" in the spray water!... and great for clean out).

What kind of loads can this 1026R 3-point handle, I wonder... as in pulling a trailer with the 3-point. Perhaps only a ton or so? The operators manual has lift capacities, but I don't see anything about pulling capacity...

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    It's good to hear they are making it compatible with QH's now-every OEM needs to do that, there are specs written so why not just follow them.

Pulling is relative, it's what it can stop is the problem. Your 1026 I am sure could pull thousands of pounds in low gear...but could it stop that? I suspect not. If you operate on flat level ground your probably OK, but it's easy for the trailer to start pushing the tractor around when it weighs more.

There is no "drawbar" available for these tractors, just like there was none for the 2210's and 2305's

Since you can weld-I think you should make one. How do you have to welders and no way to cut steel? Metal has gone up in price for sure, but there really is not much to these things, especially if you can get a hitch like I mentioned. Some 1/4" by 3" flat bar is all that's needed.
    Kenny

FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

9. Top | #7
    bob
    Last Online
    09-21-2019 @ 10:44 AM
    Thanks

heavyhitch

How about this hitch? www.heavyhitch.com You can haul stuff and also have a weight bracket.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    How about this hitch? www.heavyhitch.com You can haul stuff and also have a weight bracket.
    That's the one I copied when I redid mine in the thread I referenced above. I like it!
    Kenny

My Equipment:
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    It's good to hear they are making it compatible with QH's now-every OEM needs to do that, there are specs written so why not just follow them.

Pulling is relative, it's what it can stop is the problem. Your 1026 I am sure could pull thousands of pounds in low gear...but could it stop that? I suspect not. If you operate on flat level ground your probably OK, but it's easy for the trailer to start pushing the tractor around when it weighs more.

There is no "drawbar" available for these tractors, just like there was none for the 2210's and 2305's

Since you can weld-I think you should make one. How do you have to welders and no way to cut steel? Metal has gone up in price for sure, but there really is not much to these things, especially if you can get a hitch like I mentioned. Some 1/4" by 3" flat bar is all that's needed.
    Good points.... do cut steel/iron with a Sawzall, smaller stuff.... and, yes, just need to get to it (including buying that cutting torch), building and modifying.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    Nice hitch....need to build one like this... thanks!

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast