I believe in self-help, but sometimes I have to admit when I am just too stupid...

Thread: I believe in self-help, but sometimes I have to admit when I am just too stupid...

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-04-2014 @ 06:14 PM
    Thanks

I believe in self-help, but sometimes I have to admit when I am just too stupid...

Guys, I am about to start a major house renovation and I bought a used 2320 with a 46 hoe and bucket... the tractor came with a 54d midmount mower too.

So, here is my challenge... I have researched the net and read the manuals... even found a 46 manual online, and I am afraid I am going to break something if I attempt to remove the hoe... and try to put the midmount on myself.

I was hoping there was a video online that would show me how to do it... the midmount came with a lot of "parts"... who knows where they go...

I am reasonably mechanical, but for the life of me, I don't know where to start and again, my fear is breaking something. Yes, this is my first tractor.

Some research revealed that a midmount isn't possible with a 46 backhoe on a 2320... and some research indicated that that case is only with a 2520... I am confused...

Would anyone know if there is a video(s) buried on cyberspace showing how to remove a 46? and installing a midmount?

Thank you in advance for any and all advice... Andrew

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-04-2017 @ 04:58 AM
    Thanks
    In your situation I would call my JD dealer and pay to have one of his service people come out and take alook at what you have and answer your questions, you'll be happy you did. Could save you time, money and from going to the hospital.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    05-07-2012 @ 05:34 AM
    Thanks
    Where are you located? If you are anywhere near Ellicott City, MD I could give you a rundown. The hoe is very touchy and a PITA to mount and dismount.
    JD 2520 w/ Loader and 46 BH. BB1060, Front Blade, Artillian Forks and Wallenstein BX42r.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Sawmill,

I believe the difference between the 2520 and 2320 is that with the 2520, all of the attaching parts for the mowing deck have to come off of the tractor to put the backhoe on. With the 2320, the deck brackets can stay on. If you scour through the "build your own" section of the JD website, you will eventually find this spelled out. There have also been posts made somewhere on the WWW about this by yours truly with the link to the exact page that discusses this on the JD configurator.

The paperwork that you need is the factory installation instructions that comes with the various parts/kits when they are new. When the dealer does the install, they toss these instructions instead of giving them to the customer. Why? I have no idea. I demanded all of this paperwork with my latest machines so I can always have something to fall back on. It came in quite handy when I had to point out to my dealer that someone butchered the installation of the Power Beyond kit on my 2520.

If you ask the parts or service people at your local dealer, they CAN print these forms out for you. Don't be surprised if they tell you you need to call their customer service number to request them. I went through that goat rope already myself. The DEALER has to print these things out for you. It would be in your best interest to have all of the kit numbers when you get there because some of the people working in these dealerships don't seem to want to do any more work than necessary, in my experience. Not to say that there aren't some great people and dealers around who are genuinely helpful.

I can't help you with the MMM, but as for removing the backhoe, it's no big deal. Getting it back onto the tractor is where the fun lies but even that is manageable with patience and a throrough four letter word vocabulary. One recommendation I will strongly encourage is to come up with some sort of a pedestal to place under the operator station. If you leave the backhoe dismounted for any length of time, it WILL settle to the ground. When you come back to hook up the hydralic lines, the settling will have resulted in a lot of hydraulic pressure and you will have to release that pressure to get the lines hooked back up to the tractor.
    Tractor Attachments Maximized for Versatility
    www.ARTILLIAN.com
    Email: [email protected]

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    The link to the JD configurator page differentiating between the 2520 and 2320 mowing limitations is here:

http://salesmanual.deere.com/sales/s...erference.html
    www.ARTILLIAN.com

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Artillian For This Useful Post:

smalltown (09-20-2011)

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Tack, the hospital point is valid... which is the primary reason why I reached out... Bethesda, I live in Rhode Island, and appreciate the offer... Chris, thanks for the thoughtful post... I have played a few videos on line of folks attaching midmounts, and of course the detail just isn't there... and since I bought this rig used, I didn't have the initial instructional momentum a dealer can provide... so, as Tackit says, I may just have to bite the bullet.

I can see why a pedestal is required, I will make one.

Thanks again, Andrew

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Andrew from rhode island...why does that sound so familiar?.... Oh hey Andrew from RI! I can show you everything I know about the 46 after Thursday of this week, if you happen to be out this way for some other reason.
    www.ARTILLIAN.com

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    haha... yeah, you have already lost all your profit on me anyway... what's another hour or two...

You won't believe the plans we have for your fine product... can't wait...

12. Top | #9
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:45 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 2,948 Posts
    This probably won't totally help but....http://manuals.deere.com/cceomview/O...Index.html?tM=
    They are a PITA to put on and take off. I have been looking for a video since 2008.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Hey, that manual is good stuff... thank you, it's a start.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements