2210 Installation of Water, Volt and Oil Gauges

Thread: 2210 Installation of Water, Volt and Oil Gauges

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-20-2015 @ 12:26 PM
    Thanks

Cool 2210 Installation of Water, Volt and Oil Gauges

I do not trust idiot lights for my 2210's water temperature, oil pressure, and voltage monitoring. So.... I decided to install a water temperature gauge, but then found an Auto Meter 2391 kit ($66) that included all three. I chose 1 1/2" diameter gauges because mounting space in the dash is limited. I chose electric rather than mechanical gauges. Electric gauges do cost a little more, but I just do not feel safe relying on plastic tubing on an engine. I chose an Autometer 2391 kit that has all three electric gauges and three SAE adapters you will just throw away. Because................ The Yanmar engine uses METRIC fittings so I ordered a Sunpro CP7573 5 piece adapter kit for $7. The kit has a M16 to 1/8" adapter for the temperature sensor and a M10 to 1/8" NPT for the oil pressure gauge. Both the water temperature and oil pressure sensors require 1/8" SAE npt fittings.

The gauges are flush mounted in the dash. A 1 5/8" hole is required for a gauge, plus about 1/8" for the rings on the front of the gauge. The water temperature gauge is located next to the PTO switch. The voltmeter and oil pressure gauges are above the steering column. I had to cut off some length off the mounting screws for these two gauges. This is because there is not enough depth in this particular location. The is plenty of rear space for gauges next to the PTO switch. I would try to put two gauges here rather than above the steering column. Hind sight is always 20/20.

Attachment 4645 Attachment 4646

1.) Installation of the voltmeter just requires a connection to battery and ground. Very simple to install.
    2.) Installation of the water temperature gauge requires removing an M16 plug on the water pump housing and replacing it with a M16 to 1/8" NPT adapter.

The first picture shows my 2210 with the existing sensor switch on left and M16 plug on right. My 455 GT has the same arrangement except it came with both a temperature switch and temperature gauge. The switch is a fail safe to turn the tractor OFF when it overheats. Seems like most Yanmar engines will have the temperature switch with the temperature gauge optional. This means there is a M16 plug for the gauge and the switch for an idiot light will still work. The adapter and sensor are installed on the right side.

Attachment 4647 Attachment 4648

[3.) Installation of the oil pressure gauge is a real PITA.
    Option 1.) Replace the existing oil pressure switch that lights the idiot light with the pressure sensor. The idiot light no longer works.
    or
    Option 2.) Install a pipe tee so that both the idiot light AND the pressure gauge will be functional. I decided on option 2.

Now this is where it hit the fan. The existing oil pressure switch screwed into the engine block is a metric M10 fitting. The Sunpro metric kit also included a M10 to SAE 1/8" adapter. So I be happy. Yanmar is a Japanese company that uses the Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) which is the same as the British metric standard. The standard has two types of threads which are the British Standard Pipe Parallel (BSPP) and the British Standard Pipe Tapered (BSPT). These thread forms are similar to the Dryseal American Standard Taper Pipe Thread (NPTF) and American Standard Straight Pipe Thread for Mechanical Joints (NPSM).

The tapered thread uses the threads to provide a seal. While a parallel thread will have some means of sealing at the top of the thread, either by O-ring, metal seal, or possibly by a machined ring in the hex itself. The metric adapter that I received in the kit was a BSPP parallel male 28 tpi thread to 1/8" 27 tpi npt thread, but the existing oil pressure switch was a BSPT tapered 28 tpi fitting. You can ALMOST get your hand to install the fitting. I spent an hour before I gave up and figured out I had the wrong adapter fitting.

I have googled everything I can imagine, but have not found the correct adapter. I will probably just cut off the existing male on the existing pressure switch and braze it the adapter.

I just found the adapter. here is the source. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-2269/

CONTINUED BELOW:
    Last edited by gotdeeres; 10-28-2011 at 07:57 PM.
    [

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gotdeeres For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (10-28-2011), RandyM (10-31-2011)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks
    CONTINUED :

The installation of JUST the oil pressure sensor will require a 1/8" 45 degree Male to Female adapter because the pressure sensor is larger than the existing pressure switch. There is no room to install it straight into the engine block. The picture shows the problem adapter on the 45 male connector.

Attachment 4649

Since I want to have both the existing idiot light and the new oil pressure gauge working, a 1/8" tee is required. Because the tee is 1/8" npt, the existing BSPT pressure switch cannot thread into the tee. I found a Standard Ignition PS198 pressure switch ($13) to replace it. This switch has the correct electrical connector for the existing 2210 wiring.

Attachment 4650

I ordered the parts from:

www.streetsideauto.com

Auto Meter 2391 - Auto Gauge Electric Mini-Gauge kit $65.95
    Sunpro CP7573 5-Piece Metric Adapter Kit $6.95
    Standard Ignition PS198 Oil Pressure Switch $12.99
    FREE SHIPPING

You will also need a 1/8" M-F-F tee and a 1/8" Male Female 45 elbow.

GotDeeres
    [

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 673 Posts

Great info

Keep it coming!
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    07-01-2013 @ 10:15 PM
    Thanks
    lot of searching !!!
    John Deere x320
    48" xtra cutting system
    44" front blade w/ angle kit

John Deere 455
    60" commercial deck
    54" plow

John Deere 4720
    400CX Loader
    Frontier Loader Mounted Snow Plow
    12.5 FT Frontier Hitch Mounted Finish Mower

John Deere 332D Skidsteer

Mowers Only: John Deere 1545, John Deere Z925A MOD

Work Horses:625I Gator, Gator 855D
    With the gatorpal pressure washer, and Powertach snowblade, poly roof/ windshield

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:47 AM
    Thanks
    Very nice!
    I have more ideas than ambition.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    03-08-2015 @ 05:40 PM
    Thanks
    NICE! My 2210 once vomited its coolant all over the ground after mowing in dry, dusty conditions. The radiator screen had become completely covered by fine dry grass debris. A temp guage would have been nice. Now in those conditions I stop and check the radiator every few minutes, a pain!

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by megotadeere View Post
    NICE! My 2210 once vomited its coolant all over the ground after mowing in dry, dusty conditions. The radiator screen had become completely covered by fine dry grass debris. A temp guage would have been nice. Now in those conditions I stop and check the radiator every few minutes, a pain!
    Idiot lights are supposed to work for , but remember that those little bulbs can burn out!!

This is my rating on the importance of each gauge reading.

#1. Installing the water temperature gauge was pretty simple.

#2. Installing the oil pressure gauge was a real PITA.

#3. Installing the VM was very simple.

In my opinion, the water temperature gauge is the most important. I have a problem with my 332 overheating due to an undersize radiator. When the lights goes on you have a real problem. My 455's have a standard water temperature gauge. When I mow with it, I watch the temperature since the side vents can plug and overheat the engine.

The oil pressure would be my next important reading. No oil pressure, BIG repair bill.

The volt meter is helpful to monitor the charging system.

I bought the three gauges as a kit, but you can also buy them individually.

GotDeeres and GotMeters
    [

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    03-23-2015 @ 08:37 AM
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Excellent information and write up! I may have to do this for my 2520 and 332. I have overheating issues with the 332 at times as well. Great machine though. Thanks for the post!

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrady View Post
    Excellent information and write up! I may have to do this for my 2520 and 332. I have overheating issues with the 332 at times as well. Great machine though. Thanks for the post!
    A 332 really needs a temperature gauge. The radiator was too small, poor circulation of air, whatever!! A gauge could save your engine.

GotDeeres
    [

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements