PTO help

Thread: PTO help

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    05-01-2013 @ 09:44 AM
    Thanks

PTO help

Today I decided to practice dropping & attaching my RT1149 tiller via I-Match from my new 1026R. Actually I was just making up things to play with the tractor, but then I found a problem. Unlatching was easy except the PTO is in 2 pieces. It slid apart in the middle & the part remaining attached to the tractor dropped its greasy end in the dirt. I assume there is a catch or release button on the shaft, but I can not get the PTO cover (I think it is called a carden) off. How do I release the cover & then the PTO? I am sure I don't tie up the end of the shaft. Reattaching the tiller took 7 trips on & off the tractor. I never saw that in any of the videos. Someone please help a newbee out. I tried uploading 3 pictures, but was told they were to big to upload. :thumbsdown:

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:17 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,142 Times in 2,584 Posts
    DG, lets start from the beginning...

Unlatching was easy except the PTO is in 2 pieces. It slid apart in the middle & the part remaining attached to the tractor dropped its greasy end in the dirt.
    Before removing the tiller (or anything else) you should disconnect the PTO shaft from the tractor, push it together and then secure it, I like to use cable ties for this.

I assume there is a catch or release button on the shaft, but I can not get the PTO cover (I think it is called a carden) off.
    Not 100% sure which part you are having trouble with here? The plastic safety cover does not come off easily if that is what you mean.

I you mean you cannot unhook the shaft from the tractor then there is either a collar that is pulled back or a button that is pushed to allow it to release. The plastic safety cover on the shaft and metal safety cover on the tractor can make this very difficult to say the least sometimes.

How do I release the cover & then the PTO? I am sure I don't tie up the end of the shaft.
    Like I just wrote: You don't (release the cover) and You do (tie up the shaft)

Reattaching the tiller took 7 trips on & off the tractor. I never saw that in any of the videos. Someone please help a newbee out.
    Best advice to practice, and make sure the tiller and tractor are level when taking it off. If it shift's once removed it can be challenging to re-connect.

I tried uploading 3 pictures, but was told they were to big to upload.
    Try turning down the res on your camera-but we have limit set petty high...What size are they?
    Use a photo program to reduce then size of them
    More tips here: http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...Posting-How-to
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    07-01-2013 @ 11:15 PM
    Thanks
    well, a pto shaft is divided into 2 parts, that allows it to slide when raising and lowering the implements. one way to prevent them from coming apart is to grease where the splines are (the part that attaches to the imatch).

now regarding the imatch, it takes getting used to, its almost like backing a truck to a trailer, after a while you master it as a skill

i assume you have an autohitch i match
    John Deere x320
    48" xtra cutting system
    44" front blade w/ angle kit

John Deere 455
    60" commercial deck
    54" plow

John Deere 4720
    400CX Loader
    Frontier Loader Mounted Snow Plow
    12.5 FT Frontier Hitch Mounted Finish Mower

John Deere 332D Skidsteer

Mowers Only: John Deere 1545, John Deere Z925A MOD

Work Horses:625I Gator, Gator 855D
    With the gatorpal pressure washer, and Powertach snowblade, poly roof/ windshield

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks

plastic cover

Kenny,
    Not 100% sure which part you are having trouble with here? The plastic safety cover does not come off easily if that is what you mean.

I you mean you cannot unhook the shaft from the tractor then there is either a collar that is pulled back or a button that is pushed to allow it to release. The plastic safety cover on the shaft and metal safety cover on the tractor can make this very difficult to say the least sometimes.

I don't know how to remove/slide the plastic cover to get at the PTOs release. I did not want to pry it until I had more information. Do I pry it, jerk it, pull violenty, or just kick it? My on & off the tractor routine was for the purpose of connecting the PTO shaft, then easing the tractor back until the plastic cover slid together. After that hooking up was a snap.

Roger
    Last edited by Kennyd; 12-04-2011 at 06:14 PM. Reason: repaired quote tags
    2011 JD 1026R+++D120 FEL+++60D MMM+++I-Match+++Frontier RT1149 tiller
    JD LT160+++10P Cart

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deeregator View Post
    Kenny,

I don't know how to remove/slide the plastic cover to get at the PTOs release. I did not want to pry it until I had more information. Do I pry it, jerk it, pull violenty, or just kick it? My on & off the tractor routine was for the purpose of connecting the PTO shaft, then easing the tractor back until the plastic cover slid together. After that hooking up was a snap.

Roger
    You can't slide the plastic cover out of the way...that the way it is unless you modify it. It covers all the moving/turning parts. You either have to reach your hand behind it or cut some off to allow a little better access.

One other thing-if the PTO shaft is to long , the you will have a hard time collapsing it enough to clear the stub shaft on the tractor, and you can damage the tractor also. We shall ASSuME your dealer took care of this for you (You can also see if it looks cut since you have the two haves apart).
    Kenny

FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    DG, I just threw this thread together quickly for you.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...0976#post20976
    Kenny

My Equipment:
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

deeregator (12-05-2011)

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks

PTO cover

Thanks Kenny,
    I was trying to pull off the cover, when all I had to do was reach past it (cramped space) and pull the PTO release. I'm good until the next crisis.
    Roger
    2011 JD 1026R+++D120 FEL+++60D MMM+++I-Match+++Frontier RT1149 tiller
    JD LT160+++10P Cart

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:16 PM
    Thanks
    It has been my experience, with both new and older, PTO shafts to have the connecting yoke, yoke bore, spring loaded latch, and tractor shaft VERY clean. All grease, dirt, paint and all tooth brush cleaned out of the system. I have had to disassembled several of the spring collar, ball bearing retained yoke ends to scrape paint off all the internal parts to make them function well.

On my tractor it helps that I can shift the PTO shaft into a free turning neutral. Use this if you have it.

And liberal amounts of silicone spray lube to keep thing moving the most easily they can.......

Good luck

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements