Green Tractor Talk banner

What did you do with your SCUT Deere today?

4M views 29K replies 1K participants last post by  adam.dillon 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I find it amazing how these machines make you say, yay I have work to do. Ive been meaning to collect some firewood for a few months now. Got 'er done today, and really quick and easy too!

See less See more
#6,661 ·
:laugh:
The reason your La135 is making marks on your driveway using your snowblower is not enough wait on the back of your tractor. Put some weight on the back of the tractor .My neighbor has a level driveway , when he had his snowblower on the front of his 12hp Craftsman , he couldn't even turn his tractor around with out spinning with chains on his tires. We added a little carrier on the back of his tractor added 3 concrete blocks no more spinning.
I know what you are saying. JD makes a bracket that attaches to the back of the tractor. It mounts between the fender deck and the hitch plate. Then you can hang 2-42 pound weights on the bracket. My dealer recommended the whole set up when buying my 46" plow for the old L108. It makes quite a difference in traction.

The bracket got sold with the tractor but I kept my weights.

#6,662 ·
I think some people say they don't need chains simply because they have never used them. I could probably get by without chains but what a PITA that would be. Heck, I could even get by without the tractor.
I almost put my front chains on the other day, I was just sick and tired of the front end sliding all over the place, pushing snow or not. Chains don't really care much if they are on soft ground, frozen ground or ice.

#6,663 ·
I think some people say they don't need chains simply because they have never used them. I could probably get by without chains but what a PITA that would be. Heck, I could even get by without the tractor.
I almost put my front chains on the other day, I was just sick and tired of the front end sliding all over the place, pushing snow or not. Chains don't really care much if they are on soft ground, frozen ground or ice.

Agree majority of the time all the driveways I plow I'm usually in 2wd and could plow without chains. But for the 2 or 3 mins on each of the driveways I need them . No spinning on their driveway with the chains because then I put it in 4wd for the two or 3 places I need it.

You can check the 9 asphalt or concrete driveways I've plowed over the past 15 yrs and you may see 2 places where I have spun and left a very small mark in the surface. Using the proper weight , not flying like your going to a fire and using common sense.
The other morning when the 1025 wouldn't start BIL came over and plowed my driveway. For him he hits the snow at full speed ahead , then when he can't go any further stills keeps setting there spinning (with chains) then full speed backwards so it spinning while trying to go backwards. You can see all kind of light marks in the driveway , again not enough weight on the rear, and to heavy of a foot on the hydrostat pedals and for him always in a hurry. His dad (FIL) or myself could plow the same 4 driveways and maybe spin the tires one time . Why we used L instead of H Range , with we felt like it was going to spin , back up and take a smaller bite , yes took us longer but things didn't get broken . For my BIL about everytime he plows he'll break a cross chain, thankfully I broken one cross chain in the past 15 years. If it wasn't cross chains , bending the mounting plates for the front blade.:banghead: One big difference Dad was paying for everything , he wasn't. For me when I used his eqpt ,it was his not mine, and I was taught to respect yours or mine eqpt, because either way someone has to pay to fix something you broke.... BIL after 60 years still hasn't figured that out.:dunno:

#6,664 ·
That and they all must be flat paved driveways - those always bragging about not using chains.

I did plow my driveway for 7 winters without chains but struggled many times. My driveway is a pretty steep upgrade to the road. When you get to the road you are met with 3 times the depth of heavy wet salt laden snow from the highway plows. I could never plow uphill - just walked up and plowed going down. But many times I had a very hard time getting through that last 10' to get to the road so I could turn around.

I just don't understand all the hate for chains. I have lived with tire chains all my life including having chains on all 4's of our 4WD vehicles where we used to live. It was the difference of staying on the road or sliding over the bank and rolling over a few times.

#6,665 · (Edited)
This is the first year I'm using my X540 without chains. Only used it once so far but it did the job. Had about 6" of heavy wet snow. I could spin the HDAP's with the diff lock on. Even on wet pavement. Mostly from taking to much of a bite.
I surely used the diff lock way more than with the chains on.
Just doing the FIL's flat driveway. He doesn't even want me to put salt on so I'm sure he will complain about chain marks. Of course with chains the smart thing to do is not spin.

To me chains are not a big deal on a tractor. Usually you put them on for the season then remove in spring.
On a vehicle it's a different story. Eventually you will hit bare road and they have to come off. Then when returning home you have to mount up for that last mile. Another reason I won't be without a 4X4 vehicle.

#6,666 ·
Forgot to say mostly side hill, up and down. I like the challenge. And of course 4WD. YEE HAW!
Next time we get enough snow to push out of the way you can come to our place and practice on my hills. I'll pick up the pieces and call 911 for you. :munch:

Not without chains are you going to do more then my drive and the flat spots where the vehicles are parked. And if the drive gets done without chains it better have some dirt showing on the way down because you might not get back up the drive. Anything else is off the table without chains.

#6,667 ·
I think Gene's post above is very good. The whole chain vs. no chain thing boils down to a couple factors. The first factor is technique. I watch a neighbor who just put a front mounted blower on his machine. He is on and off his machine several times fiddling with the chute because of clogs, etc. (The only time I get off of my machines is to rotate the rear blade). He has chains, but spins his tires as he mashes the pedals, etc. To me, his technique needs refined. He will learn over time (maybe).

The other factor is what your individual requirements are. The bottom line is that each one of us needs to do what is right for the varying aspects of our driveway surfaces, topography of our land, and the type and amount of snow we get. And if you are doing what works for you, then that is all that matters. Chains, no chains, front or rear blower, front or rear blade, even tire grooves or not, who cares as long as our snow gets moved and we have fun and stay safe.

Now that doesn't mean we can't have some good natured ribbing:thumbup1gif:

#6,668 ·
I think Gene's post above is very good. The whole chain vs. no chain thing boils down to a couple factors. The first factor is technique. I watch a neighbor who just put a front mounted blower on his machine. He is on and off his machine several times fiddling with the chute because of clogs, etc. (The only time I get off of my machines is to rotate the rear blade). He has chains, but spins his tires as he mashes the pedals, etc. To me, his technique needs refined. He will learn over time (maybe).

The other factor is what your individual requirements are. The bottom line is that each one of us needs to do what is right for the varying aspects of our driveway surfaces, topography of our land, and the type and amount of snow we get. And if you are doing what works for you, then that is all that matters. Chains, no chains, front or rear blower, front or rear blade, even tire grooves or not, who cares as long as our snow gets moved and we have fun and stay safe.

Buzz off. It is what I say it is. :lolol:

#6,669 ·
I know, from experience :banghead:, I tried clearing my driveway several years ago, which is sloped and paved, without chains once and will never do it again. After sliding the tractor down the driveway with no way of stopping it, you learn quickly. Yes, if your driveway is relatively level, you can get away without chains. If you have a sloped driveway, risking losing control of the tractor just isn't worth it. IMHO, put the chains on!!!!:good2:

#6,671 · (Edited)
Now that I reread my post, I see I forgot to specifically exclude some guy with a 2 in his name that runs chains all year long.:lol:
:thumbup1gif:

:lolol:

Chick magnet↓↓↓

Snowplow Vehicle Snow blower Tractor Snow

#6,672 ·

I know. Didn't mean to come off as a bad thing for not using chains. The first time I moved snow here I did it without. Came close to not making it back up my drive and going over the edge a few times. That would not have ended well. Since Tonton gave me a set of chains I'm a believer in using them at my place. To many hills and drop offs with the bottom being to far down for it to end well. I know the no chains thing is all in good fun, didn't mean anything bad about it. Caution should always be used and these R-4 tires are the worse when it comes to snow for me. I hear turfs are better but my next set will be HDAP.

#6,674 ·
I know. Didn't mean to come off as a bad thing for not using chains. The first time I moved snow here I did it without. Came close to not making it back up my drive and going over the edge a few times. That would not have ended well. Since Tonton gave me a set of chains I'm a believer in using them at my place. To many hills and drop offs with the bottom being to far down for it to end well. I know the no chains thing is all in good fun, didn't mean anything bad about it. Caution should always be used and these R-4 tires are the worse when it comes to snow for me. I hear turfs are better but my next set will be HDAP.
And I did not post that in response to any one person. I just wanted us all to keep having fun and posting. And apparently it's a good thing I did post because I gave Keith the chance to remind us that his way is the best way.:nunu::lol: After seeing all your pics, and Timmarks youtube series, you have no excuses to make. Your topography is extreme, in my opinion. The turfs I have had have been good in the snow. I do really like the R4s though for how they shed mud and grass. I still cannot believe how much of a difference the grooving made for winter use. :good2:

#6,675 ·
Winter at the Camp

Fun in the snow.

Attachments

#6,676 ·
Maybe you misread my post, or I am misreading yours, but I was saying that I DON'T have chains, and that I had no trouble at all, both on icy/snowy grass surface, and icy/slushy driveway. No slippage at all.
Woops, meant to reply to House Mouse. I did blowing in 2 wheel drive with chains on. If I get stuck I have chains up front and 4x4 to get me out. Unfortunately I no longer have an F Series diesel to rescue me. A wise man (and a Boy Scout) once said "Always be prepaired!!!!"

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#6,677 ·
I know, I know... pics or it didn't happen. Yesterday was a nice sunny day with the temps nearing the freezing mark. I had been out in the garage cleaning it up when I decided to take the tractor over to the neighbors house and blow out his driveway for him. He uses the house as a summer vacation home and only visits it a couple of times during the winter. He never has anyone clean out his driveway, so I thought I'd be neighborly and do it for him. I figured they'd be up in a few weeks for the Birkebeiner ski race and wouldn't mind a surprise...

I did the best I could but not knowing exactly where the driveway was under the foot of snow, I had to kind of guess where it was. I just made a direct path from the street to the garage doors. Over the next few days we're expecting some above freezing days with sunshine. Hopefully his driveway with be clean to the pavement.

Oh, no chains here, just loaded rear tires and no ballast box in the winter or I couldn't steer! :laugh:

#6,678 ·
:laugh:

I know what you are saying. JD makes a bracket that attaches to the back of the tractor. It mounts between the fender deck and the hitch plate. Then you can hang 2-42 pound weights on the bracket. My dealer recommended the whole set up when buying my 46" plow for the old L108. It makes quite a difference in traction.

The bracket got sold with the tractor but I kept my weights.
Yup, that is the same set up I have. Not sure how I could add more, as there are only 2 slots for the weights.

Reactions: Levi
#6,679 ·
Yup, that is the same set up I have. Not sure how I could add more, as there are only 2 slots for the weights.
I thought about this myself. Maybe stack something heavy on top of them. The reason I didn't end up doing this is the transmission. That K46 is not exactly heavy duty. Figured it might be too much for it to handle. Didn't want to end up braking an axle or something.

The rear weights did cause me one problem. When towing my JD salt spreader the on/off lever (in the forward/off position) would sit slightly between the 2 weights (with the tractor pointing forward). I guess it caught the lever when making a turn. This broke the plastic piece that holds the feed gate underneath the hopper. From then on I'd remove the 2 weights when I was ready to salt. Usually traction was not so much of a problem because everything was plowed by salting time.
However I did have a lot of seat time to compare traction with & without the weights. They definitely improved traction.

With turf tires and no locker I found that chains were mandatory. Figured I'd try one season without them. Big mistake. As soon as I tried to push some snow it was stuck city.

Reactions: BigJim55 and Levi
#6,680 ·
And I did not post that in response to any one person. I just wanted us all to keep having fun and posting. And apparently it's a good thing I did post because I gave Keith the chance to remind us that his way is the best way.:nunu::lol: After seeing all your pics, and Timmarks youtube series, you have no excuses to make. Your topography is extreme, in my opinion. The turfs I have had have been good in the snow. I do really like the R4s though for how they shed mud and grass. I still cannot believe how much of a difference the grooving made for winter use. :good2:
I know. But you did one other thing, you got Gizmo to post a pic and in it he had chains on his front tires too. I hadn't seen it that way before. As for what I said I just wanted some to know that not all hills should be taken lightly. For me these R-4's are worthless in snow. Better then turfs in the summer but I don't know about turfs in snow. I haven't done snow removal with turfs. I do enjoy seeing what others are doing in snow while I'm enjoying no snow. Once or twice a year is enough for me. Just need to get through February. :munch: