Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PTO "shutters" on occasion 1026R w/54" blower

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    05-02-2018 @ 05:08 PM
    Thanks

PTO "shutters" on occasion 1026R w/54" blower

Greetings all

As I get acquainted with the new 1026R, I've notice an occasional shutter or shake when utilizing the 54" blower. For the lack of a better term, this "shake or shutter" appears to be coming from the PTO shafts and shutters the whole tractor when it occurs.

The shutter happens more so when the blower is not loaded with snow or is in the upper position. In my opinion, the PTO angles might be excessive causing this issue. One would think any unnecessary vibrations could lead to cracking of the mid PTO housing. Should I be concerned with this?

Cat

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    05-13-2016 @ 12:31 PM
    Thanks
    During initial running of my tiller and setup, I also found that you must be cautious of the PTO angles "especially" (in this case) with the 3PT raised and the rear PTO engaged. Easily avoided by minimizing those angles with PTO engaged.

As for unloaded vibrations, its possibly related to frequencies and small amounts of drive-line backlash that can and will create vibrations at certain speeds. Again, I found a couple speed frequencies that the tiller set up similar nuances avoidable with experience with the implement and operation.

IMO - Ruling out any obvious drive-line cracks, loose or missing parts, this all sounds quite normal.
    Cheers

Bob

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:53 PM
    Thanks
    Cat,

You may need the up stop kit for the front quick hitch. It will keep the implement drive shaft at a less severe angle for you.
    '11 1026R

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:27 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,894 Times in 2,870 Posts
    In the meantime I would make certain the U-Joints are well greased. Especially if it is not a constant issue.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    12-02-2015 @ 04:08 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Catndoo View Post
    Greetings all

As I get acquainted with the new 1026R, I've notice an occasional shutter or shake when utilizing the 54" blower. For the lack of a better term, this "shake or shutter" appears to be coming from the PTO shafts and shutters the whole tractor when it occurs.

The shutter happens more so when the blower is not loaded with snow or is in the upper position. In my opinion, the PTO angles might be excessive causing this issue. One would think any unnecessary vibrations could lead to cracking of the mid PTO housing. Should I be concerned with this?

Cat
    It is normal that the front pto gets stressed when you raise your snowblower. Increasing the u-joint working angle increases noise and vibration. If this happens when the pto shaft is level, then something is wrong. Check foe excessive play in all associated parts.
    Darrell

2010 JD2320, 200CX, 53" Bucket, 54" QH SnowBlower, iMatch, Ballast Box, LR1072, RC2048, GM3060, 647 Tiller, SS1023B

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dmay For This Useful Post:

RLstangs (09-07-2013)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks

Thanks All!

I stopped in by the dealer this AM and he stated that when the blower is in the upper position one may get some chattering from the PTO angles. I mentioned the possibility of added a mechanical upper limit and he basically said that would be no problem. He did not mention anything regarding an upper limit kit. I also need to pay attention to when this happens as he stated it should only happen when the blower is in the upper position and not while it is down and loaded.

I looked at my build sheet and it includes an implement drive and upstop. Is the purpose of this implement drive and upstop to limit the upper travel of the quick hitch to control the PTO angles?

Cat

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 05:46 AM
    Thanks

Shuddering is not normal

Assuming the front quick hitch and shaft is the same as that used on the 2305, there should be not be any vibration, let alone "shuddring" at any angle. With the new shafts on the 54", the yokes have to be aligned. Take your thumb and forefingers of each hand and put them together. This is the way the yokes should be positioned on the splines. If there is a slight remaining vibration, one of the yokes might have to be offset one spline either direction, but there should be no vibration. None.

Ken R.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kennyrichmond For This Useful Post:

Catndoo (01-22-2012)

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks

Shuddering is not normal

Quote Originally Posted by kennyrichmond View Post
    Assuming the front quick hitch and shaft is the same as that used on the 2305, there should be not be any vibration, let alone "shuddring" at any angle. With the new shafts on the 54", the yokes have to be aligned. Take your thumb and forefingers of each hand and put them together. This is the way the yokes should be positioned on the splines. If there is a slight remaining vibration, one of the yokes might have to be offset one spline either direction, but there should be no vibration. None.

Ken R.
    Thanks Ken

I am headed out to the shop to give this whole PTO system a once over. I will take pictures of what I have. I am in agreement with you in that no shuddering, chattering or vibration should be felt. I know what it feels like sitting on the tractor when this happens and cannot imagine the stresses that are being applied to the PTO Housing.

Cat

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks

The 1st pic shows the end of the MM PTO shaft and the Shaft on the 54" blower. Based upon what I see, the MM PTO shaft is not in correct alignment with the blower shaft. Would you agree?

The 2nd pic, from the front of the tractor looking down at the PTO support bearings, shows the rear bearing installed on the inside of the bracket rather then on the outside as the installation instructions indicate. I don't know if this is causing an issue, but it is not correct.

The 3rd pic shows how the support bearings are to be installed.

I am going to correct those two issues. I hope that gets rid of the shuttering problem.

Cat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking down at the shafts.jpg   backwords bearing.jpg   SAM_0047.jpg  

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Catndoo For This Useful Post:

RandyM (01-21-2012)

15. Top | #10
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:57 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,560 Posts
    Looks like you found the problem U-joints are definitely fussy about alignment.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast