Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Too light

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-16-2019 @ 05:41 PM
    Thanks

Too light

Used the 53 inch front blade for the first time today clearing about 6 inches of snow from the drive. Tractor did not like turning into a drift and was easily pushed to the side if I took too large a bite with the blade angled. Took about half the weight out of the ballast box and that helped but I think I need to load the tires. The blade is surprisingly light and unsprung weight down low would help I think. Anyone else experience this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 12:32 PM
    Thanks
    I just did my first snow clearing today with a 47" front blower in 7" of wet snow. The blower performed great but my experience was similar in turns. It threw the snow well in a straight line but curves presented a problem. I found navigating the curve with a light foot on the forward pedal and a hand on the control to raise the blower helped a lot. But I really couldn't make a tight turn and blow snow. More annoying was the reverse switch for the PTO that kept stalling me out when I was backing up.
    2012 1026R, H120 FEL, 54D MMM w/auto-connect, JD 47" snowblower, 52" Ratchet Rake, 60" York Rake basic w/wheels

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    04-28-2016 @ 07:53 PM
    Thanks
    My 47" blower came with a wiring harness that plugs into the tractor and the pto sensor. It overides the PTO switch allowing you to back up without having to hold up on the RIO knob. If you look at the front left side in the engine compartment, forward of the engine mount pad, one end of the pig-tail will plug into the tractor's wiring harness and the other will plug into the plug located on the blowers pto sensor housing. Sorry if my description is confusing...I can take pictures if you guys want. The harness is between $70 and $80.
    2012 1026R, H120 FEL, 54" AutoConnect Deck w/ Ind. Lift, 47" Snow blower, Artillian Forks, Ballast box, 3PH trailer receiver hitch, Suitcase weights, Lawnsweeper, Roller, Aerator, 18 Utility Cart

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JDPilot For This Useful Post:

dieselshadow (12-27-2012)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:35 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JDPilot View Post
    My 47" blower came with a wiring harness that plugs into the tractor and the pto sensor. It overides the PTO switch allowing you to back up without having to hold up on the RIO knob. If you look at the front left side in the engine compartment, forward of the engine mount pad, one end of the pig-tail will plug into the tractor's wiring harness and the other will plug into the plug located on the blowers pto sensor housing. Sorry if my description is confusing...I can take pictures if you guys want. The harness is between $70 and $80.

Or just disable the RIO altogether as has been discussed and documented here.
    ejb69 likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:35 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,549 Posts
    Mark, the 54" blades are light, so you don't need as much rear ballast like when your using the loader. I don't think the front tires are big enough to matter if you filled them. If the snow you had was like the rest of the country had, it was super wet and heavy, I think you will have better luck in a normal snow.

There are a couple threads on the RIO issue...
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks
    Was your blade floating or with down pressure? My Polaris Scrambler and 54" plow had the same issue. I Sat a 5 gallon bucket of sand in the dead space in front of the bumper, but behind the blade. The extra weight helped. I don't have the front blade for the 1026R so I don't know, but is it possible to hang some suitcase weights up there? I assume the weight bracket won't fit with the blade mount on. It'd be nice if the brush guard had suitcase weight slots. 200lbs hanging over the wheels, but not on the blade would really help keep you straight. I know the angle feature is pretty useless on my quad.....

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    08-14-2019 @ 06:46 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkChambers View Post
    Used the 53 inch front blade for the first time today clearing about 6 inches of snow from the drive. Tractor did not like turning into a drift and was easily pushed to the side if I took too large a bite with the blade angled. Took about half the weight out of the ballast box and that helped but I think I need to load the tires. The blade is surprisingly light and unsprung weight down low would help I think. Anyone else experience this?
    Like KennyD said, You don't need the ballast box when plowing with the blade. I have removed mine for the winter. On Dec. 20th we got 8 -9 inches of the very heavy wet stuff and my 1023 did a great job on the asphalt. Right down to the bone with that squeegee on the blade. You do have to put her in the float position though. There is a learning curve as far as making those turns with a load of snow in front of the blade. You need the right amount of angle on the blade and don't go to sharp on the turn.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060086.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	570.2 KB 
ID:	13652
    Steve

JD 2012/1023E, H120 FEL, 54" QH front plow, JD ballast box, JD 627 tiller, Kens hooks, Log boom, Original Tractor Cab, Small Grapple

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 05:04 AM
    Thanks
    I am finding my 1026r dosnt turn very well with the 54" blower down, even in "float". I have found it steers better when in 4x4.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    05-16-2019 @ 05:41 PM
    Thanks
    Trying to cover everyone here.

1. Blade was in float. Tractor in 4WD
    2. Ballast box was on (took half the weight out). It was on based on some threads I've read that the 1026R is a bit light in the back end for good traction. I'll just drop it now and see how it does.
    3. Snow was not extremely wet.
    4. Adjusting things in order to adapt is not all that difficult but they are adjustments I'd rather not have to make as they slow things down a bit.
    5. Like Ashokan1 straight ahead is no problem. Turns are a PITA. It was faster to angle them off rather than drive thru following the curve.

Diesel can you link the RIO thread? That thing is going to take about 2 minutes to get old this coming summer.

13. Top | #10
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkChambers View Post
    Diesel can you link the RIO thread? That thing is going to take about 2 minutes to get old this coming summer.
    Here's just one thread on how to disable the RIO. Make sure to read the whole thing, there are several methods that can be employed.
    MarkChambers likes this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast