Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Review of 1025 Sub Compact Tractor

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-01-2017 @ 02:42 PM
    Thanks

Review of 1025 Sub Compact Tractor

So have you seen the ads for the John Deere 1 Family Tractors? If you notice, the land where they are being uses is flat. There is good reason for that: They do not work well on hills of any size.

I have a 1025 that I first purchased to mow and haul around my 20 ac. farm. It has hills and the tractor could not pull the 48" mower up them. So I took it back for a larger tractor, a 3038E (see my review for that tractor).

Later on, I re-purchased this tractor, minus the front end loader, with a 54" snow thrower on the front. For this job it works fairly well. My driveway is 300' long and paved, so the blower works well. The driveway from end to roadway gains 26' of elevation over the 300'. Going up hill I get quite a bit of wheel spin on the steepest section, but overall, it does a good job. BTW the front tires are the ones spinning. As it already has quite a bit of weight on the front, I do not think more weight (i.e. wheel weights) will help. I have tire chains now, so next winter I'll try them.

Overall it's not a bad tractor, just do not expect much from it
    afulton25 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    I have had a similar experience with the 1 series tractors. I had to upgrade to a 4 series when we moved to our farm in Tennessee. My first time in the pasture with the 1025R nearly ended in a roll over. It was an awesome machine for our 1 plus acre property in Pennsylvania, but just couldn't handle the terrain here in TN. Mostly due to the short wheelbase and small tires.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:28 AM
    Thanks
    You do not say if you purchased with r4 ot turfs. Turfs are worthless. I have done lots with my 1025r. Weights help imensly. If you bought the machine for a large acreage as a 3 series is large you should have bought that first. Not sure if you expect it to go up the hill in high on low idle but mine goes easily up a 30 degree hill. In 20 feet it is about 6 feet of elevation at mowing speed.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Levi, Mta1206 and Marlin like this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks
    I just saved myself the trouble and started with a 3520!

When I first started looking at tractors, the first one I looked at was a 2305 (I think), then I looked at a 2520, then I bought the 3520. Oh well, it's only money.
    Marlin likes this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:35 PM
    Thanks
    I have no trouble at all getting my 1025R up a fairly steep part of my yard...as long as I am in Low. It struggles a little bit in High, but will still get up the hill.
    Levi likes this.
    2016 1025R TLB (Marshawn) with Piranha tooth bar
    HLA 42" Forks
    Frontier LR2060L Landscape rake
    2019 X370 mowing machine with snowblower attachment
    County Line 3 point log splitter (Mr. Splitty)
    Cyclone Rake super sucker
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer
    Stihl BR430 backpack blower
    1998 Yamaha 4-stroke golf car (Tedy Bruschi)

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:16 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WifeSaidOK View Post
    I have no trouble at all getting my 1025R up a fairly steep part of my yard...as long as I am in Low. It struggles a little bit in High, but will still get up the hill.
    Ok, I just have to ask......

How does a 1025r TLB end up being named "Marshawn"? or a 1982 Yamaha Golf car named "Messy Marvin"? Must be a story we need to hear?

I have never given any equipment a specific name. I have on rare occasion called different pieces of equipment by various names, none of which can be posted here.

Well, there is one "piece of equipment" that an old girlfriend had a special name for but it has nothing to do with a tractor....... That was a LONG time ago.........
    Last edited by SulleyBear; 07-16-2016 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Added "Messy marvin".
    Levi, BigJim55 and Treefarmer like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:35 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Ok, I just have to ask......

How does a 1025r TLB end up being named "Marshawn"? or a 1982 Yamaha Golf car named "Messy Marvin"? Must be a story we need to hear?

I have never given any equipment a specific name. I have on rare occasion called different pieces of equipment by various names, none of which can be posted here.

Well, there is one "piece of equipment" that an old girlfriend had a special name for but it has nothing to do with a tractor....... That was a LONG time ago.........
    When I first got the 1025, I was amazed at what it could do. Seemed like it could do anything...it is a beast.
    Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch's nick name was Beast Mode. So it seemed only natural to name the 1025 "Marshawn".

The golf car, well it's 34 years old and it really is a mess. Duct tape on the seats, mud (wet and dry) all over the place. It is a mess. Hence "Messy Marvin". A close second place was "Pig Pen".
    5304, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    2016 1025R TLB (Marshawn) with Piranha tooth bar
    HLA 42" Forks
    Frontier LR2060L Landscape rake
    2019 X370 mowing machine with snowblower attachment
    County Line 3 point log splitter (Mr. Splitty)
    Cyclone Rake super sucker
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer
    Stihl BR430 backpack blower
    1998 Yamaha 4-stroke golf car (Tedy Bruschi)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to WifeSaidOK For This Useful Post:

SulleyBear (07-17-2016)

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    08-02-2019 @ 05:58 AM
    Thanks
    From my garage out back to the road I have a a section with a 6% - 8% grade, the entire property is on a decent slope.
    With FEL and BH attached, I've been relocating 150+ pound boulders with no issues.
    Levi, BigJim55 and Hershmeister like this.
    Tom

2010 JD LA115 mower w/bagger
    2011 JD 10P dump cart
    2016 JD 1025R TLB: H120 loader w/ 49" bucket - 260 BH w/12" bucket - 60D MMM w/auto PTO - iMatch Quick Hitch
    Heavy Hitch toothbar | Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks | Ken's Seat Springs | Ken's Diff Pedal | Edge Tamers
    Frontier 2048 Box blade | Frontier LR2060L Landscape Rake
    2016 Cyclone Rake model Z-10

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 12:51 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The General View Post
    So have you seen the ads for the John Deere 1 Family Tractors? If you notice, the land where they are being uses is flat. There is good reason for that: They do not work well on hills of any size.

I have a 1025 that I first purchased to mow and haul around my 20 ac. farm. It has hills and the tractor could not pull the 48" mower up them. So I took it back for a larger tractor, a 3038E (see my review for that tractor).

Later on, I re-purchased this tractor, minus the front end loader, with a 54" snow thrower on the front. For this job it works fairly well. My driveway is 300' long and paved, so the blower works well. The driveway from end to roadway gains 26' of elevation over the 300'. Going up hill I get quite a bit of wheel spin on the steepest section, but overall, it does a good job. BTW the front tires are the ones spinning. As it already has quite a bit of weight on the front, I do not think more weight (i.e. wheel weights) will help. I have tire chains now, so next winter I'll try them.

Overall it's not a bad tractor, just do not expect much from it
    If you're using the snow blower in float mode for the steepest part of the driveway, you really don't have weight on the front tires beyond the normal weight of the tractor itself. Chains should help and you can also try lifting the snow thrower slightly to add more weight on the front if the tires are slipping.

I've never owned a tractor before my 1025R FILB so I didn't really know what to expect. But it seems every time I use the tractor I have to set my expectations bar a little bit higher because The 1025 always manages to exceed what I thought it could do.
    5304, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    09-09-2019 @ 09:43 AM
    Thanks
    I plan on doing a review on my 1025r filb in the future too, when I get more time and experiences with it.
    I was born in eastern Kentucky and all my family before me, except my dad, live there now. I live in Michigan now but if I lived in Kentucky I'd get the widest, flatest I could find with air bags and a parachute. Lol
    Those are some hills.
    Your statement "don't expect much" I hope is meaning....in the big hills or mountains because in Michigan brother this family one does a lot. I'll go over all the tasks that I use it for and how it performs when I do my review.
    Levi, BigJim55 and SulleyBear like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast