Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Howdy and questions

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 07:30 PM
    Thanks

Howdy and questions

Hi all,

New to tractor ownership and trying to understand all of my options. I purchased a used (30 hours) 2015 1025R TLB. It comes with a 54" snowblower (JD), 60" MMM, and a cab so its pretty loaded. I am also looking at picking up the frontier BB2048 and some pallet forks which look like they will be extremely useful. I have narrowed down the additional list to getting the tires filled with ballast, the imatch, and the final piece is the ballast box. Its the ballast box I have the most trouble with (expense/value). If I understand this correctly a ballast box can add an additional 600lbs to the tractor (box plus concrete), just using round numbers. I don't have a tractor to measure right now but if I look at a side view and using the JD spec for wheelbase, I am adding 600lbs to the rear, approximately 2 feet from the rear axle (round numbers) and the FEL sits 2 feet in front of the front axle at rest.. (again, just a guess). That's around 81" from the bucket load (center line) to the rear axle which puts the mechanical advantage of the ballast at 180(ish) lbs? Doesn't seem like a lot of relief for the front axle. Comparing that (180) to the entire tractor (1444+400(cab)+540(FEL)) that is 2380 lbs total or 8% of the total weight. From a mechanical advantage perspective it doesn't feel like much and have the weight centered actually does very little to improve lateral stability. Does it really make a difference? If you forgot to put the ballast box on one day would you notice or is it more about a comfort factor? Probably overthinking it and experience is probably a better guide here than the math.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 03:02 PM
    Thanks
    Shortly after I got my forks I used them to unload a 1000 lb pallet of wood pellets off the back of my pickup. I was in a bit of a rush and forgot to mount my ballast box. The machine quickly reminded me when I lifted that pallet and the rear wheels came up off the ground. This was with my 2032R (with loaded rear tires) but the same thing can happen with any machine.

Once I got my shorts cleaned out, I got the ballast box mounted and had no problems moving that pallet (and the 11 others that were just like it...).
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:52 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,995 Times in 2,952 Posts
    Welcome to GTT Earthling.
    Not sure of the math or geometry of the 1025R but I will HIGHLY suggest a rear ballast for any and all FEL work, regardless of tire ballast.
    etcallhome, bob, 56FordGuy and 3 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:53 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,091 Posts
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, 5304 and 2 others like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 56FordGuy For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (07-19-2016)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 07:30 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Shortly after I got my forks I used them to unload a 1000 lb pallet of wood pellets off the back of my pickup. I was in a bit of a rush and forgot to mount my ballast box. The machine quickly reminded me when I lifted that pallet and the rear wheels came up off the ground. This was with my 2032R (with loaded rear tires) but the same thing can happen with any machine.

Once I got my shorts cleaned out, I got the ballast box mounted and had no problems moving that pallet (and the 11 others that were just like it...).
    Maybe its that I have seen comments to the effect of removing stress on the front axle. If the front axle is the actual pivot point then the mechanical advantage of the ballast would be huge, that makes more sense. Thanks for sharing the experience although I am sure it was no fun at the time

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 12:32 PM
    Thanks
    New to these tractors myself. I can give you my personal experience with the 2210 I just purchased a few months ago. From what you are saying you would like to use it for, plus adding pallet forks I think it's vital you get a ballast box.

Though I do not own a ballast box yet using the front end loader with any weight you need it. I had mine on two wheels vary quickly. I was leveling a spot for a above ground pool. Had a mix of soil and number two crusher run stone. I was moving the left over remains when I lifted the bucket to get the material moved back in the bucket. This is when it quickly moved on two wheels.

So depending on ground level, it could have ended up real bad in my situation. Even though I quickly lowered the FEL back down to stabilize on all four wheels again.

So last week I also helped my buddy ( neighbor ) move a mound of soil. Though It was on all four tires having weight would of helped with both traction and stability.

Sounds like you bought a nice unit, vary well set up. Congrats enjoy it they are vary addicting. Hopefully what I was trying to say makes sense. But I'm sure the more seasoned guy's Wil chime in too.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    etcallhome, Levi and BigJim55 like this.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:59 PM
    Thanks
    Extremely easy for the loader to lift the rear with no weight on the back. Especially with the pallet forks and awkward loads. All it takes is getting the corner of the bucket or fork stuck under a root. I learned my lesson on day 2. I won't carry more than a load of pine straw in the bucket without at least the box blade. I do find that the rc2048 seems sufficiency for 90% of other loader tasks. Sure does get in the way if you're not in an open area though, ballast box all the way.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    RandyM and BigJim55 like this.
    2017 3038E; RC2048, 4' Box Blade, Forks, 5' Rear Blade, 2017 Z920M

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 01:16 PM
    Thanks
    BALLAST is extremely important. When using a FEL, the higher you go the physics is working against you. If you have the ballast on the back then you are going to be in a lot better position. The best way to think of this is your front wells is your focurm (balance point), and you want more weight on the back than your load and the height you are working at. I'm running a 2016 1025R and I just finished moving around 1000 piece cement and the my ballast box had not arrived yet. Good thing is i had a rear bladed from Land Pride RB1660 with hydraulics and this balanced out the tractor very nice. I did try it without a couple of times and I could see myself getting into trouble quickly if I didn't get the ballast on the tractor. So yes Ballast is VERY important.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    John Deere 2016 1025 R with R3 Turf Tires, LED Work Lights, Rear 3rd selective vavle
    60 D mower With Mulch Kit with Independent lift
    H120 Loader with AF 12 Forks
    Rear Ballast Box, Front weights 5 at 42 LBS each
    Quick I-Match with 3pt tractor receiver.
    Land Pride RB 1660 with Hydraulic angle
    Tractor Supply RT4 Tractor Line Rototiller Tarter Equipment.
    54" Quick connect Front Blade, Snow Thrower.

Replaced 128 and 149 1970's Cub Cadets.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:02 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,260 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    Its the ballast box I have the most trouble with (expense/value).
    No offense but you are over thinking the mathematics.

On the contrary, the ballast box may be the most valuable attachment that you purchase as it's the one attachment that can save your life.

Please consult the manual for your H120 loader, JD lists the ballast requirements very clearly.

Also keep in mind that the use of pallet forks can increase the ballast requirements as compared with the bare H120 w/bucket.

Obviously the ballast box will only come into play when you have the backhoe removed.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    09-09-2019 @ 09:43 AM
    Thanks
    Right now my back hoe is my ballest for my forks and loader. I've never felt the tractor get light in the rear and my tires are not filled.
    When I take the hoe off and put my chipper on I have to put some extra weight in the loader to keep the front tires from feeling light.
    Your hoe would work good and its super easy to remove.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast