Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 1025r use for lawn service

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-29-2019 @ 04:10 PM
    Thanks

1025r use for lawn service

Good Morning everyone!
    I have recently started up my own lawn service after owning my 1025r for about 2 years now. I love mowing my own property of about 4 acres and decided why not make some extra side money using it as well. Curious as to how many out there are using their 1025r for commercial and residential mowing, grading, tilling, etc. and what kind of hourly rate are you charging for your services?
    Thanks to everyone for your input and am excited to learning and sharing what kind of prices you are getting for your services.
    Travis
    Travis Pohlman
    Nebraska
    JD 1025R / FORD 8N

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 2,246 Posts
    First (and most important) question - do you have proper insurance?
    bob and Ray_PA like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,063 Times in 2,530 Posts
    No personal experience, but there is a local guy here that runs two 1025's all the time for his business, I see them about once a week.
    Levi likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Hiya,

You will lose money if your cutting residential grass commercially with a sub-CUT, you can't match the quality of cut and the speed over the ground that a commercial zero turn or stander has. That's why you don't see anything else but on landscape trailers. You may have the same quality of cut on your 1 series however, the zero turns will have that same quality and cover the ground 2 to 3 times faster. (It's not just ground speed either, it's the turns at the ends of the rows and the closeness you can trim around trees and beds that makes them so fast per site as your trim time is close to zero)

The other aspect of using it for material, ground engaging work and such, yep, that's right in it's wheelhouse.

As far as the rates, you have to be competitive in your area and every area varies depending on the number of competitors, the value of the property, the square footage to be maintained, the quality level of the finished job and the distance to and from the site. What I'm trying to say here is that the rate is not going to be the same for 1 acre in the highest tax bracket area as it is for the retired couple on the wrong side of the tracks. The higher value property your going to spend more time there making sure it's showcase quality so the people next door will think about hiring you to work on their property whereas the lower value site your just going to mow and go.

Afterthought: If you do end up using your 1 series, make sure you know the location of any underground tanks or septic components. One danger for landscapers is plunge through of older underground vaults and tanks. Keep in mind that a 1 series weighs a lot more than the rider mower the owner was using and if you plunge through a tank, you may not survive the incident. (I say that as I have seen incidents of people losing their lives plunging through an old septic system vault with a large ZTR, last one I knew of was on Long Island a couple years ago)
    Last edited by tomd999; 07-23-2016 at 08:34 AM.
    Levi, OxPath, Ray_PA and 2 others like this.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    First (and most important) question - do you have proper insurance?
    Got insurance covered. Everything is good there.
    Levi and jphavener like this.
    Travis Pohlman
    Nebraska
    JD 1025R / FORD 8N

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 10:34 AM
    Thanks
    If you really want to make money, do a business plan. Figure out how much your fuel costs are for the tractor and the truck hauling it. Also determine what other costs you have to do this (maintenance etc,), how much an hour you need for your labor and then you can determine your rate. I have seen folks price it per lawn depending size or in the case of my MIL's neighbor she is charged by the hour.

The previous poster is correct the market will only bear so much of a price. Craigslist might give you some idea of what folks charge in your area.

If you are just looking to do side jobs of tilling, etc for beer money then it really depends on the size of the plot or the task. I see some folks charge a flat price for the first hour and then a hourly rate after that for tilling. I would think most gardens could be tilled in less than an hour. I know the one I did for my land lord only took about 30 minutes and it was probably a 20'x50'rectangle of virgin ground and I gave it probably 6-8 passes. I did it with my JD 400 GT with a 35 tiller. I am thinking a 1 series may have done it a little faster because it is more maneuverable than my old iron.

I think where you would make good money with your 1 series is clearing snow since you are in Nebraska. Doing driveways and small parking lots that truck plow can't do very well would probably be the niche market where the 1 series would do well. Not sure if you are set up for that or not.
    OxPath and danwolfgang like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 69project View Post
    If you really want to make money, do a business plan. Figure out how much your fuel costs are for the tractor and the truck hauling it. Also determine what other costs you have to do this (maintenance etc,), how much an hour you need for your labor and then you can determine your rate. I have seen folks price it per lawn depending size or in the case of my MIL's neighbor she is charged by the hour.

The previous poster is correct the market will only bear so much of a price. Craigslist might give you some idea of what folks charge in your area.

If you are just looking to do side jobs of tilling, etc for beer money then it really depends on the size of the plot or the task. I see some folks charge a flat price for the first hour and then a hourly rate after that for tilling. I would think most gardens could be tilled in less than an hour. I know the one I did for my land lord only took about 30 minutes and it was probably a 20'x50'rectangle of virgin ground and I gave it probably 6-8 passes. I did it with my JD 400 GT with a 35 tiller. I am thinking a 1 series may have done it a little faster because it is more maneuverable than my old iron.

I think where you would make good money with your 1 series is clearing snow since you are in Nebraska. Doing driveways and small parking lots that truck plow can't do very well would probably be the niche market where the 1 series would do well. Not sure if you are set up for that or not.

Believe it or not we don't get that much snow and when it does snow it doesn't last long. Not really worth the time for plowing around here. But great thought and I appreciate it.
    Last edited by thpohlman; 07-23-2016 at 09:23 AM.
    Travis Pohlman
    Nebraska
    JD 1025R / FORD 8N

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 2,246 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thpohlman View Post
    Believe it or not we don't get that much snow and when it does snow it doesn't last long. Not really worth the time for plowing around here. But great thought and I appreciate it. The cost of running the unit, paying overhead and additional expenses and myself I came up with and hourly rate depending on job, terrain, etc. is between $50-$65 per hour using the 1025r.
    Around here you can hire a full size backhoe with operator for that price.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thpohlman View Post
    Believe it or not we don't get that much snow and when it does snow it doesn't last long. Not really worth the time for plowing around here. But great thought and I appreciate it. The cost of running the unit, paying overhead and additional expenses and myself I came up with and hourly rate depending on job, terrain, etc. is between $50-$65 per hour using the 1025r.

The lawn company I use for the house in TN charges a $110 flat fee for my yard, they bring two guys on Z turns, mow and trim for close to two hours. The gentleman that maintains the driveway uses a 90 HP tractor and can do the 1/2 mile drive in about an hour or less for $125. Just some things to consider.

What part of Nebraska are you in? The market in Scott's Bluff will be a lot different than Omaha or Lincoln. If you know what your operating costs are, and you know how long it takes you to do your property, call and get some estimates to see what your competition would charge to do your property. If it takes you two hours and everyone quotes you $80, the rate is easy to figure out. Then you just have to decide if you can run your equipment and make a profit for that price.
    Zebrafive, 5304, Levi and 3 others like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:52 PM
    Thanks
    Here's my take: I've seen 1 and 2 family tractors used commercially for light landscaping work with a front loader, which is how I'd use one. For cutting grass professionally, you need and want a commercial grade zero turn mower, like a Toro, Scag, or perhaps a higher end John Deere, but something designed for daily work. Good luck!

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast