Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: Considering Adding Backhoe

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-06-2019 @ 04:17 PM
    Thanks

Considering Adding Backhoe

I am considering adding the backhoe to my tractor . What are the differences between buying a FILB vs. adding it on ? Does the kit come with everything you need except the power beyond kit ? Should I have it installed or can it be installed at home ? If I have it installed , what would be a reasonable out the door price ?
    Any advice would be appreciated . I have realized that I may not need it often , but it sucks when you need it and don't have it . Thanks

rtgt likes this.
    Ron
    2016 1025R SILB (Self Installed Loader Backhoe)
    54 Autoconnect MMM
    JD Imatch
    Several homemade Mods
    Ken's bolt on grab hooks combo , Diff lock pedal , Oblong slings , Backhoe Steps
    Piranha tooth bar
    Artillian forks
    Armstong Ag 4' Box Blade
    Fimco 40 gal. 3 pt. sprayer
    Blue Hawk (?) Plug Aerator

2016 x580
    Power Flow 14 Bushel Bagger
    Brushguard
    Jeff's LED Taillights
    JD Mulch Kit
    42 Hyd. Tiller

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 08:39 PM
    Thanks
    The cost savings is in factory installed because - the frame on your scut isn't strong enough as is so along with the install kit is a frame that will slide inside your existing frame and once everything is back together will be essentially a double frame. Cost vary slightly by dealer so it depends on your comfort level how far you are willing to tear your machine down to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rtgt and KE8LW like this.
    1023e w/FEL
    Curtis cab
    54" snow blower
    36" forks
    Jd ballast box
    54" mmm
    48" tiller land pride
    7' 3pt blade
    Tsc sub soiler ( converting it for burying electric cable )
    3pt tool bar ( project under construction )

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Thanks
    Well, installing a BH isn't just adding on items. There are allot of items that are different. For one, you didn't say whether you have an FEL on the tractor. You will need an FEL as the BH frame attaches to the FEL frame. The other items that are changed are: the toolbox mount is rotated so that the toolbox is parallel with the tractor rather than perpendicular, the rear PTO guard is different. The right side of the guard is rubber, the ROPS lights are mounted higher and the seat is mounted to a swivel mount.
    So, you would want to ask if the BH kit includes new toolbox mount bracket, new PTO guard, the swivel seat mount and the longer wiring harnesses to move the ROPS lights higher not to mention the power beyond kit.
    The BH and power beyond kit will set up back about $5375.00 plus, plus, plus for the other items. I know the rotating seat bracket is crazy expensive if you have to buy it separate. I believe it is around $600.00
    Whatever you decide, be sure to way all the costs. It may be more cost effective to trade in the non FILB on an FILB. If you buy the FILB, you get the longer warranty on all attachments.
    Good luck!!!
    rtgt and Levi like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray_PA For This Useful Post:

Buchananjames (08-04-2016), romcjr (07-29-2016)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 09:22 PM
    Thanks
    Wait a second. When I bought my 1025r the big selling point over the BX was that it was a piece of cake to add the backhoe at a later date. Yes a couple mods have to be done, but I was told the frame is exactly the same and no changes would be needed and no additions. As long as you have the H120 loader. Are you saying that is not the case?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    rtgt likes this.
    2014 John Deere 1025R, 54D MMM, H120 Loader, 647 Rotary Tiller (purchased new from dealer April 2014)

8. Top | #5
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:15 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,328 Times in 2,601 Posts

Considering Adding Backhoe

Quote Originally Posted by KD7CAO View Post
    Wait a second. When I bought my 1025r the big selling point over the BX was that it was a piece of cake to add the backhoe at a later date. Yes a couple mods have to be done, but I was told the frame is exactly the same and no changes would be needed and no additions. As long as you have the H120 loader. Are you saying that is not the case?

That is correct. You can get all the parts needed to make a tractor identical to a factory TLB. There is no differences between the frames or other parts, just additional ones that make a TLB. For example, the subframe is added to the regular tractor frame for reinforcements. The power beyond hydraulic loop is added as well.
    rtgt, Levi, Ray_PA and 1 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

romcjr (07-29-2016)

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:41 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,178 Times in 835 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KD7CAO View Post

If I understand correctly the mounts for the BH attach to the frame giving you an attachment point and also spreads the load out across the frame.

In the case of the BX, this has to be done during assembly at the factory and cannot be done afterwards as an upgrade.

It was all in the fine print....
    Levi likes this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    04-18-2019 @ 07:05 PM
    Thanks

1025 tlb

When I got mine I was torn about getting the backhoe, one salesman at one dealer said it isn't hard or too expensive to add on later. Went to another dealer and asked about it, he said if people come in with a 1025 and want to add one later, he recommends they trade it in, and buy a factory one. Just cheaper in the long run to get it as a package deal. Did a little research calling dealers farther away and they all had similar opinions, if you think you will add it in later just buy it all at once.
    Ray_PA and romcjr like this.

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 09:22 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    That is correct. You can get all the parts needed to make a tractor identical to a factory TLB. There is no differences between the frames or other parts, just additional ones that make a TLB. For example, the subframe is added to the regular tractor frame for reinforcements. The power beyond hydraulic loop is added as well.
    See they said there was no subframe, you just remove the 3-Point arms and connect the BH arms in place. Plug in the Power Beyond which I installed aftermarket in about 4 hours. And other than moving toolbox and changing seat plate to a swivel you are good to go. They said lights don't have to move as they are not technically in the way. The only reason for the H120 was for stability on front end, but the BH doesn't actually connect to it.

2014 John Deere 1025R, 54D MMM, H120 Loader, 647 Rotary Tiller (purchased new from dealer April 2014)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to KD7CAO For This Useful Post:

romcjr (07-29-2016)

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    09-09-2019 @ 09:43 AM
    Thanks
    I agree with Mr jimmy and everyone else. I have the 1025r filb and the dealer said buy the hoe factory installed. Best way to go. Take your time and decide if it's going to be used or if the couple tasks can be accomplished without it by another way. You'll never know the future really. It is awesome to have.
    Levi and romcjr like this.

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Hiya,

One factor you need to keep in mind when deciding to get a back hoe of your own is the amount of time you will actually use it vs the cost factor. If your planning on using it once or twice every week for the duration of ownership, then it makes very good sense to invest in one. However, if you don't see a lot of use past the first weeks of owning it, then you may be better off in the long run by renting a 3 or 5 ton excavator for a day or 2 to do your projects.

Another factor is that a 3 ton excavator will run circles around 1, 2 or 3 series backhoe. The rate of work is what separates a tractor/back hoe from an excavator. What may take you a full day to accomplish with the small BH on a 1 series can be done in a couple hours, maybe less with an excavator.

The place down the road from me rents 3 ton excavators for $250/8 hours and 5 ton units for $350/8 hours. You can rent one for a day or 2, get your projects done quickly and save a bunch of cash.
    RandyM, 56FordGuy, Bubber and 6 others like this.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast