Need Some 260 backhoe info. Looking at buying a tractor.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Need Some 260 backhoe info. Looking at buying a tractor.

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Last Online
    12-10-2017 @ 12:52 PM
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Need Some 260 backhoe info. Looking at buying a tractor.

    Hello,
    This is my first post. I have been searching but have not found the info I need and was hoping someone could help.

    I am trying to decide which to buy, a 1025R TLB or the BX25D. I like the 1025R however none of the dealers around me have one with a 260 on it so I could try it out. I have tested the BX25D and the backhoe is very smooth. The seat and controls are also in a comfortable position for me (6'2" 235). Can anyone tell me how the 260 compares to the BX25D in these areas.

    Thanks in advance,
    Bill

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:00 AM
    Location
    Joelton TN
    Posts
    19,934
    Thanks
    1,068
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts

    Welcome to GTT!

    I edited the title of your thread to attract more members who'll be able to answer your questions better. I personally haven't operated a 260 myself, but a lot of owners say some of the controls are very touchy. But with practice, you can become pretty smooth with them.
    Levi likes this.
    - Jason

    GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

    Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

    2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.


  4. Top | #3
    KE8LW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    09-23-2019 @ 04:26 PM
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    445
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked 34 Times in 30 Posts
    First off I'd really like to steer you towards the Deere - as I love my 1025 TLB. I find my backhoe projects short lived. A few stumps here and there and a few holes and trench's. With that being said the seat control is easy to deal with being 6-2 nothing is going to be real easy to get into. My controls on my 260 seem JERKY. I have a hard time really making it smooth. I have found that if I run the throttle down to 1/2 way or even just off idle my control is much better. If I wasn't so far away - I'd say your welcome to come try one out that has some wear and tear after a couple of years. I'm in SW - MI.

    Good luck in your decision - I couldn't try out my TLB either as all the dealers here only have FEL on the 1025s .. 6 weeks later I owned and never touched the backhoe function until then.

    Mike
    - Mike Bell
    2016 - 3039r Factory cab - 84" Woods box blade , 61" FEL - I-match - 2" Receiver - loaded rear AG (R-1) tires - 59" snow blower- 48" pallet forks - 84" Power angle rear blade
    2014 - 1025r TLB
    60" auto mowing deck, titan pallet forks, 1.5" rear wheel spacers, v bar tire chains, 3 Kens Bolt on Grab Hooks and 3 attaching clevis.
    1967 round fender 110 with snow blade ( restoration in progress)
    1965 round fender 110

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Location
    Burton, Ohio
    Posts
    2,760
    Thanks
    544
    Thanked 440 Times in 348 Posts
    I think the consensus on the 260 is that the boom is pretty fast which takes a little getting used to. The bucket and stick seem fine control wise to me. I cannot speak for the Kubota backhoe. I shopped all colors before I purchased Deere but I didn't opt for a backhoe until I decided on brand. I was a previous Deere owner and the quality of the machine I had influenced my decision. Not that I think Kubota is not a good unit as well.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

  7. Top | #5
    Ray_PA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:24 PM
    Location
    North of Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    1,940
    Thanks
    138
    Thanked 565 Times in 342 Posts
    I have a 260 BH on my 1025R and have used it allot. Yes, if you run the engine RPM high, it is fast. If you run the engine RPM at around 2000 RPM, the functionality is about right. Actually the operators manual says to run the engine at no more than 2400 RPM when using the BH.
    I did compare the BX25 with the 1025R when I bought mine back in 2013. The BX25 is a nice tractor but in my opinion, it isn't a JD. If you plane to change implements regularly, the JD is the way to go. Changing implements on the 1025R is so easy and takes no effort at all.
    The JD has the FEL control at arms length from the armrest. The BX25, you have to hold your arm in the air to use the FEL control.

    They are both very nice tractors so I am sure you could be happy with either. Sometimes the dealer makes the difference.

    omlvu23711_h0
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

  8. Top | #6
    John Deere 1025R TLB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:55 PM
    Location
    Scranton, PA Area
    Posts
    2,451
    Thanks
    114
    Thanked 169 Times in 157 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    I have a 260 BH on my 1025R and have used it allot. Yes, if you run the engine RPM high, it is fast. If you run the engine RPM at around 2000 RPM, the functionality is about right. Actually the operators manual says to run the engine at no more than 2400 RPM when using the BH.
    I did compare the BX25 with the 1025R when I bought mine back in 2013. The BX25 is a nice tractor but in my opinion, it isn't a JD. If you plane to change implements regularly, the JD is the way to go. Changing implements on the 1025R is so easy and takes no effort at all.
    The JD has the FEL control at arms length from the armrest. The BX25, you have to hold your arm in the air to use the FEL control.

    They are both very nice tractors so I am sure you could be happy with either. Sometimes the dealer makes the difference.

    omlvu23711_h0
    I agree with Ray's comments. I have used my 260 extensively. Once you get used to it it is fine. I can even do multiple functions now. More I run it the more I like it. Would not be without it now. Fretted over the price, but no brainer now. Definatel buy the FILB or TLB which ever abbreviation you like. They are one in the same and better priced as a package. Buy everything you want at the same time and put it on the loan. My original salesman screwed me up. Did not do that, and it would have been much better for me.

    Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Levi and Ray_PA like this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

  9. Top | #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 02:19 PM
    Location
    Victoria Australia
    Posts
    305
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 65 Times in 44 Posts
    Hi Bill
    I had the same dilemma when I was looking at purchasing my SCUT. The things I wanted in a tractor were that it would mow 4+ acres and had a FEL and a BH. I looked at the BX25 and the 1025R. We have very good dealers in town for both.

    The things that put me off the BX were.
    The pedal arrangement, I prefer the side by side arrangement of the JD, over the rocker pedal of the BX for the hydro static drive.
    The seating position I prefer the JD with the tilt adjustable steering
    The easy of exiting both sides on the JD, the SCV gets in the way on the BX, and as Ray-PA says "The JD has the FEL control (SCV) at arms length from the armrest. The BX25, you have to hold your arm in the air to use the FEL control.
    The most important one for me was the drive over auto connect MMM on the JD, I swap between the mower and the FEL and BH regularly.

    I have no regrets what so ever purchasing my 1025R.
    Regards Johnt
    bgi, Levi, Ray_PA and 2 others like this.

  10. Top | #8
    Tractor Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:09 AM
    Location
    Lebanon, Indiana
    Posts
    1,487
    Thanks
    636
    Thanked 781 Times in 338 Posts
    I love my 260 Backhoe. I use it for lots of things which I would have never dreamed of. Most of them could have been done by hand, but are much less work, and more fun with the backhoe.
    For instance, here, we are replacing our lamp post which had fallen over.

    I'm sure its not the 'bestest' backhoe in the world, but it attaches easily enough that I am willing to put it on even for a small project.

    I also agree with all of John's comments. I'm certain you'll enjoy the 260!

    Quote Originally Posted by John 54 View Post
    Hi Bill
    I had the same dilemma when I was looking at purchasing my SCUT. The things I wanted in a tractor were that it would mow 4+ acres and had a FEL and a BH. I looked at the BX25 and the 1025R. We have very good dealers in town for both.

    The things that put me off the BX were.
    The pedal arrangement, I prefer the side by side arrangement of the JD, over the rocker pedal of the BX for the hydro static drive.
    The seating position I prefer the JD with the tilt adjustable steering
    The easy of exiting both sides on the JD, the SCV gets in the way on the BX, and as Ray-PA says "The JD has the FEL control (SCV) at arms length from the armrest. The BX25, you have to hold your arm in the air to use the FEL control.
    The most important one for me was the drive over auto connect MMM on the JD, I swap between the mower and the FEL and BH regularly.

    I have no regrets what so ever purchasing my 1025R.
    Regards Johnt
    Levi, Ray_PA, KE8LW and 2 others like this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

    Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

  11. Top | #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Last Online
    09-09-2019 @ 09:43 AM
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    113
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
    The 260 is jerky if your trying to use it like your stirring up a cake mix by hand. The controls don't like to be manhandled. You can get good with it but if you are known as a person that others refer to you as a "bull in a China cabinet" then there may not be any hope of you making it run smoothly.
    I haven't tried the Kubota. Getting into the backhoe seat is another rodeo clown task too. It's tight to get into position and can require knowing where your body parts are in relation to the controls and other tractor parts. You will find a cute way to get on and off. Lol
    I want to add that I really like the hoe and I don't regret getting it. I'm pleased and satisfied overall.
    Last edited by Vinson Scott; 07-30-2016 at 04:58 PM.
    Levi, Ray_PA, Tractor Tim and 1 others like this.

  12. Top | #10
    Tractor Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:09 AM
    Location
    Lebanon, Indiana
    Posts
    1,487
    Thanks
    636
    Thanked 781 Times in 338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinson Scott View Post
    The 260 is jerky if your trying to use it like your stirring up a cake mix by hand. The controls don't like to be manhandled. You can get good with it but if you are known as a person that others refer to you as a "bull in a China cabinet" then there may not be any hope of you making it run smoothly.
    I haven't tried the Kubota. Getting into the backhoe seat is another rodeo clown task too. It's tight to get into position and can require knowing where your body parts are in relation to the controls and other tractor parts. You will find a cute way to get on and off. Lol
    I want to add that I really like the hoe and I don't regret getting it. I'm pleased and satisfied overall.
    Vinson,

    Good point about how difficult it is to get into the seat. It is not easy at all. It needs a step or two mounted on or near the out-rigger cylinders. With a good step, I think the rest of the 'mounting' problems would be easier to deal with.

    Tim
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

    Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •