• 2 Post By PaDave

Thread: JD 650 Mower clutch

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-23-2016 @ 01:19 AM
    Thanks

JD 650 Mower clutch

Good day all,

I'm brand new to the forums and I am looking for some ideas. I just acquired a 1986 650 4x4 tractor with a 60" mower. It seems to be in reasonable shape, starts and runs well, has about 1,000 hours.

My issue is that after 20 minutes of mowing, the mower stops. I found a fuse blown in the fuse block. This fuse seems to affect the dash lights and the mower clutch. With very little information to go on, I replaced the fuse with the same size fuse (20 amp) and went back out to mow. 20 minutes later, the fuse pops. I looked over things and I don't see any bare or potentially exposed wires. I have to say that I did not get all the way into the clutch area. So, after laying my hands on it and some tender caressing, and another 20 amp fuse, I went out to mow. Sure enough, 20 minutes later the fuse pops.

I'm not cutting real heavy grass. The field is a little rough, but I was able to keep up a reasonable speed.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
    Will

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:38 PM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks
    Theres a pto safety switch somewhere.....probly under the seat. Thats where mines at on a similar vintage 955.
    Might check those wires as a starting point.
    The rest of my pto switch/etc. is behind the dash panel on the left. Its a tight area to get to .
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to theduke For This Useful Post:

46Willys (08-07-2016)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-06-2019 @ 06:29 PM
    Thanks
    I know these scans of the wiring diagram for the 650 are absolutely horrible but......Short of cutting the page out of the tech manual it's the best I could get.
    First off, there is no 20A fuse shown in the fuse block. I'd try unplugging the front electric PTO clutch and then flip the switch on the dash and see if a fuse holds and go from there.Attachment 219090 Attachment 219106

Great little tractor you've got there. Lots of life left in her.
    Gizmo2 and 56FordGuy like this.
    3520, Sicma 74 tiller, 12Kw PTO gen, 72"auto connect deck, 300cx FEL, 61"HD w/JD toothbar & 6ft snow pusher, JD Ballast box w/Extension, Land Pride FDR-2584 finish mower,

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PaDave For This Useful Post:

46Willys (08-07-2016)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    08-04-2017 @ 04:58 AM
    Thanks
    Could it be a mower bearing is seizing up after it gets hot? I would grease the mower and see if it helps, if it does I would check the spindle bearings out and replace them if necessary.
    Last edited by tackit; 08-01-2016 at 01:04 PM.

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    09-23-2016 @ 01:19 AM
    Thanks

Thank you all

Gents,

I want to thank you for your responses. And, as crude as the wiring diagram was, it helped.

I did track it down. Someone previous to my had bypassed the mower clutch safety switch attached to the seat. I don't disagree with this choice, but it was how they did it. They used a test jumper with alligator clips. The plastic protectors had slid back exposing the metal clips. As I was bouncing around the field, it would occasionally touch something to ground it and pop the fuse.

A more protected jumper is now in place and mowing is a pleasure now. Yes, I know, it's not good to bypass safety switches, but I don't need that thing cutting off the mower every time I stretch my legs or bounce up a little. I survived the last 40 plus years on my Farmall cub without that particular switch.

But, thanks guys and I plan to be here for a while. At least, I plan to be mowing green for a long while.

Will

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements