Help: 54d MMM Carrier Bearing Grossly Out of Position (1025r)
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ilmo
  • 1 Post By Scorch130

Thread: Help: 54d MMM Carrier Bearing Grossly Out of Position (1025r)

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 01:24 PM
    Thanks

Help: 54d MMM Carrier Bearing Grossly Out of Position (1025r)

I have a new 1025r with an auto-connect mower deck. Since delivery, the deck has been difficult to install and remove. The dealer said to expect it to be a bit "sticky" as all components are new. Yesterday I connected the mower on a level part of my front yard and with mower seemingly locked into place I raised the deck and drove a few feet before noticing the deck was pitched way down at the leading edge. I stopped and realized I had torn a several foot long divot in the grass. I looked under the mower and realized the deck was not connected to the carrier bearing. I lowered and removed the deck and looked under the tractor to find that the bearing is turned upward (almost 90 degrees from perpendicular to the ground). Photos are below (set at "Install" and in the down position). I am unable to rotate the bearing into the proper position down; any attempt simply pushes the arms upward. Also, the adjustment bolt does not change the attitude. What can I do about this? ANY help is appreciated!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bearing1.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	307.0 KB 
ID:	220234
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bearing 4.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	220242
    Last edited by Scorch130; 08-04-2016 at 07:01 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 669 Posts
    Sounds to me like the PTO shaft is not sliding like it should. Make sure you have it greased up, then work the shaft by hand to get to expand and contract.
    ErikR likes this.
    2013 1025R
    (Oct. 1, 2013 Used with 20hrs.)
    H120 loader -- 60D AutoConnect MMM --Frontier RB2060 blade -- Modified RIO -- Northstar Sprayer -- Fimco Spreader -- Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks.
    "Kitty" 2000-2014

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ilmo For This Useful Post:

Scorch130 (08-04-2016)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:05 PM
    Thanks
    ilmo is correct i'm betting.... It looks like the drive shaft is stuck. Reach under and pull the bearing/coupler assembly down. Be sure to lube all 3 grease fittings on the shaft. It should slide up and down (in and out) nicely.
    Also, the receiving end of the coupler looks a bit dry. Be sure to lube the splines on the mower gear box too.
    2014 1025R, H120 loader w/53" bucket and Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar, 54" Auto Connect MMM, 47" QH snow blower, Ballast box and loaded rear tires, Speeco Quick Hitch, Ken's Bolt-on Grab Hooks, King Kutter Carry All, 54" front QH blade w/Heavy Hitch skids, Titan 36" pallet forks, Land Pride GS0560 Grading Scraper, and chrome (kitchen drain pipe) exhaust tip!!

1950 Allis-Chalmers B, Electric start, PTO, Belt Pulley, Hydraulic pump. Stuck engine (a work in progress)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ErikR For This Useful Post:

MadOx (10-21-2017), Scorch130 (08-04-2016)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks

Much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by ilmo View Post
    Sounds to me like the PTO shaft is not sliding like it should. Make sure you have it greased up, then work the shaft by hand to get to expand and contract.
    I will get a grease gun and try this... I guess I should have bought one by now anyway!

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    02-16-2017 @ 08:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikR View Post
    ilmo is correct i'm betting.... It looks like the drive shaft is stuck. Reach under and pull the bearing/coupler assembly down. Be sure to lube all 3 grease fittings on the shaft. It should slide up and down (in and out) nicely.
    Also, the receiving end of the coupler looks a bit dry. Be sure to lube the splines on the mower gear box too.
    For sure the drive shaft is stuck this happen to me!!!!
    There was Something causing my driveshaft not to extend and it did the same thing as what you have pictured it is most likely a burr or dirt in the shaft....
    (((((Easy fix)))))

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Firefighter1022 For This Useful Post:

MadOx (10-21-2017)

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks Firefighter. You were all right. Once I greased the snot out of the PTO shaft and exerted enough force to extend it, I was able to get everything in the correct position.

Thanks to all of you!!
    ErikR likes this.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements