Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Narrowing down the choices

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    04-23-2018 @ 11:18 AM
    Thanks

Narrowing down the choices

I know there has been many MANY of us newbies ask these questions but each one is different so some advice would be appreciated here. I visited another dealer today and am understanding that John Deere has once again extended the 0 percent financing. If I understand correctly I have until Oct 28th on this last offer.After that I risk the prices going up and the offers vanishing for a while? Anyway so far this is what I am thinking:

1025R
    60" mmm
    H120 front bucket
    frontier 48" tiller
    box blade?
    middle buster? they said the one from tractor supply wont fit the Imatch
    Imatch of course
    Rear ballast box...or build one after purchasing

I have a small place..3/4 acre with slopes
    keeping my deere mower which I will mow with mostly,getting the mmm for doing other places, church yard, friends, parent, ect.. I need to do some landscaping which would probably cost me as much as getting the tractor and doing it myself. My wife tells me I will be putting out a garden as long as I am breathing lol, tired of using a walk behind tiller. and most importantly I just want one However I dont want to finance more than necessary but want to get what I will and can use at one whack...soooo all that being said, I want to thank you ALL for the site here and the info that I have learned. Our family also has a fairly large farm up the road and I will be able to possibly help with it there some too.Oh I almost forgot, I already have Kens Bolt on Hooks,Thanks for his quick delivery!
    Last edited by papaw1962; 08-04-2016 at 01:40 PM.
    Levi likes this.
    GX255 with Ag tread tires, ..1025R, H120 Loader, 54D Autoconnect mmm, RT1149 ROTARY TILLER, BB5048 BOX BLADE, MIDDLE BUSTER, Ballest Box. KENS BOLT ON HOOKS, STEERING WHEEL KNOB. ,fluid filled tires,trailer hitch. more to come!!.Just call me Gordon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 07:42 PM
    Thanks
    The difference between a walk-behind tiller and a tractor mounted one is plain laughable. While you're sitting comfortably on the tractor, watching the tiller chew through the dirt faster, deeper, and more thoroughly than any walk behind I've ever used could handle, you can think about how much work the walk-behind tiller was and that *this* is what you should have gotten the first time the word "garden" was ever mentioned.
    glc, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 7 others like this.
    1025R TLB with the 53" loader bucket and 12" backhoe bucket, 54" mower deck (no AutoConnect!), 54" snowblower, 647 tiller, and a ballast box. Fitted an RIO override, added several KBOGH products (a pair of hooks on the loader bucket, a clevis mount to the backhoe, and the diff lock pedal), a GoPro mount on top of the ROPS, R2 Manufacturing 2x 4" Edge Tamers and Edge Extenders. What next?

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    How far away is the farm up the road, churchyard, etc.? All those places you want to take the tractor to help out? If you don't already have a trailer you might want to factor one into your overall budget.

I'm new to this tractor thing myself, with 70 hours on the 1025R, taking care of 5 acres, helping out on 65 more, and I was thinking this morning about what I'd have done differently when I bought. I really wish, about every week, that I had a backhoe. About that often, I wish for a brush hog. But, once I finish clearning my 5 acres, I won't really need it. The 60D MMM doesn't cut high enough as I'd like for the coastal bermuda pastures and paddocks I mow. And it doesn't do a great job on the 1/2 acre or so of real yard that I have. So, in retrospect, maybe I wouldn't have gotten the MMM deck. Plus the mower deck is a bear to move around to store when its off the tractor, which is 13 days out of every 14. Yep, using hindsight, I'd probably delete the MMM, and spend the mower money I saved towards part of buying a separate ZTR mower.

I have a long gravel driveway to my house and around the barn, and the second thing I added after getting the tractor was a box blade to maintain it. It's also come in handy for leveling areas in the new pastures. The first thing I added was pallet forks, and I don't know what I'd do without them. They spend way more time on the tractor than the loader bucket - moving tree trunks, piles of brush, , moving logs to build cross country horse jumps.

Anther item I am probably going to buy is a small ground driven manure spreader. But that and the box blade and a backhoe would compete. I'd have to remove the backhoe every few days to use the manure spreader and drag the paddocks, and every few weeks for the gravel.

So I really guess what I need is a second tractor. A bigger one with a backhoe, And a ZTR mower. And a trailer for the tractors. And a bigger truck. And a really good, quiet trail horse to go with my other three. Then I'd need a bigger horse trailer, too. All those would make my retired years so much more fun that I'd probably live longer, too, since I'd be happier. I think I'll run those ideas by my wife.
    5304, Levi, FredHickory and 2 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 06:52 AM
    Thanks
    if you leave your property to help others don't forget to get Inland marine insurance on your new equipment. Sounds like you are loading up the tractor properly.........
    papaw1962 likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 10:21 AM
    Thanks
    Make sure it is a 53" FEL bucket
    Drifterbike and papaw1962 like this.
    2014- JD 1025r
    L120 59" FEL, 260 BH, 60D MMM
    66"/54" plow with Artillian extension and rubber edge
    Artillian 36" forks
    JD 550 3PT Tiller
    54" spike aerator
    Fimco 3PT 40 gal boom sprayer
    Trac-Vac 580
    CMP 3PT 60" Dethatcher
    51" Lucknow 3PT rear snowblower
    Omni Transformer 3PT weight rack w/ 2" hitch receiver 6-42lbs weights

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    04-23-2018 @ 11:18 AM
    Thanks

curious

Quote Originally Posted by 96PSD View Post
    Make sure it is a 53" FEL bucket
    This may sound stupid but what is the advantage to having the 53' bucket? Also my father in law who has farmed for years, told my wife that if I have a bucket I can get by without the box blade...hmmm well I dont want to buy something that wont be used much or any but I already have attachment fever lol, oh well there is always Christmas, birthdays, anniversaries ect... Thanks for every ones input, greatly appreciated!!
    pcabe5 and Levi like this.
    GX255 with Ag tread tires, ..1025R, H120 Loader, 54D Autoconnect mmm, RT1149 ROTARY TILLER, BB5048 BOX BLADE, MIDDLE BUSTER, Ballest Box. KENS BOLT ON HOOKS, STEERING WHEEL KNOB. ,fluid filled tires,trailer hitch. more to come!!.Just call me Gordon.

9. Top | #7
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:04 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,988 Times in 2,945 Posts
    pcabe5, Levi and papaw1962 like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 10:21 AM
    Thanks
    The 53" bucket will put you wider than you wheel footprint when you are digging material ahead of you. 49" is very tight without an leeway left to right. And slightly larger capacity as well.
    etcallhome and papaw1962 like this.
    2014- JD 1025r
    L120 59" FEL, 260 BH, 60D MMM
    66"/54" plow with Artillian extension and rubber edge
    Artillian 36" forks
    JD 550 3PT Tiller
    54" spike aerator
    Fimco 3PT 40 gal boom sprayer
    Trac-Vac 580
    CMP 3PT 60" Dethatcher
    51" Lucknow 3PT rear snowblower
    Omni Transformer 3PT weight rack w/ 2" hitch receiver 6-42lbs weights

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,609 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by papaw1962 View Post
    This may sound stupid but what is the advantage to having the 53' bucket? Also my father in law who has farmed for years, told my wife that if I have a bucket I can get by without the box blade...hmmm well I dont want to buy something that wont be used much or any but I already have attachment fever lol, oh well there is always Christmas, birthdays, anniversaries ect... Thanks for every ones input, greatly appreciated!!
    Buy the Box Blade ,, sorry don't listen to FIL this time , and maybe save a life YOURS.

Also a 53" bucket is a lot nicer , wider than the tractor so it covers your tires.

Also IMO if you have any slopes on your property buy the 54" deck you will be happier.
    papaw1962 likes this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 01:07 AM
    Thanks
    In reading a lot of previous threads, the 54" MMM is preferable for property with slopes. With your size of lot, the 6" reduction in mowing width won't add a lot of mowing time. Besides, you're going to enjoy your time on this tractor. And you'll save some money to more tractor stuff. (I have the 54" MMM on my 1025R.)

I picked the 49" bucket because it fits within the bed walls of my truck. Another thing to think about when you are picking a width.
    papaw1962 likes this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast