Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: 1025R Neutral Switch / Parking Brake

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-20-2018 @ 10:57 PM
    Thanks

1025R Neutral Switch / Parking Brake

I understand shifting to neutral when starting, but this is ridiculous. I mowed for the first time with the tractor and every time I get off I have to shift to neutral and apply the parking brake (otherwise it will roll on a hill). When I get back on I've already forgotten it was in neutral and almost rolled into the fence, etc. There is no indicator on the dash for neutral either. Why can't they just check for the parking brake to be on when getting off? I'm half tempted to just override the neutral switch. It's a hydro trans so its not going to move anyway in gear. I can't see any downsides to this as the MMM PTO will still disengage if I get off the seat when mowing. Or am I missing something?
    mdgilbreath likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,613 Posts
    I'll put it this way, if you have any slopes on your property , go to the top of the slope, turn off the key and leave the transmission in L or H range..

Don't get off because your tractor may pass you up .

Mine drifted away and I had the Parking brake set when I parked it. Thankfully it drifted backwards not sure how fast but it tore up 3 sheets of the metal on my building apx 75' away.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:00 PM
    Thanks
    It's the way there designed for safety reasons I would think. Once you get use to its not a issue. Most times I put my Fel bucket teeth down in ground and put in neutral, so I don't have to set parking brake on every time.

Kind Regards,
    mdgilbreath
    1026R with H120 FEL with a WR Long Tooth Bar
    Kens Bolt on Grab Hooks http://www.boltonhooks.com
    54" Deck mower quick detach
    48" Frontier bush hog
    48"Frontier box blade
    JD imatch hitch
    25 Gallon 12 volt Sprayer County Line from TSC
    3 Point hitch rig with a 2" receiver bar for sprayer
    2" Ball mount to pull utility trailer[/QUOTE]
    RandyM, Ray_PA and Marlin like this.
    Kind Regards
    mdgilbreath

1026R with H120 FEL with a WR Long Tooth Bar
    Kens Bolt on Grab Hooks http://www.boltonhooks.com
    54" Deck mower quick detach
    48" Frontier bush hog -2048
    48" Frontier box blade -2048
    JD imatch hitch
    25 Gallon 12 volt Sprayer County Line from TSC
    3 Point hitch rig with a 2" receiver bar for sprayer mount
    2" Ball mount to pull utility trailer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mdgilbreath View Post
    It's the way there designed for safety reasons I would think. Once you get use to its not a issue. Most times I put my Fel bucket teeth down in ground and put in neutral, so I don't have to set parking brake on every time.
    When using the loader or backhoe I would do as you mentioned. The neutral safety didn't really bother me then and I got used to it. When mowing I take both off so it's just the tractor and deck. It wastes too much time when having to move fallen branches, toys, etc.

I think the engineers failed on this one as they are making it easier for the tractor to roll over you. The only time it's convenient is when using the backhoe as having it in neutral with no parking brake allows me to move the tractor forward with the backhoe. I'm actually surprised that's not a safety issue.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:59 PM
    Thanks
    What do you mean "every time you get off"? Do you get off frequently while mowing with the engine still running (such to move a branch) or are you talking about when you finish for the day?

If I get off to move a branch or open a gate I leave it in gear and only sometimes set the brake depending on the terrain. I prefer to leave it in gear as it holds the drivetrain stable (unless you are on a hill).

EDIT: you clarified what you mean in the post above. Leave it in gear is my recommendation. I have the seat safety switch bypassed.
    Last edited by jbfrancis3; 08-05-2016 at 08:19 AM.
    Levi likes this.
    2015 1025R w/ H120 Loader, 60D MMM AutoConnect, 54" QH Snowblower & Titan Pallet Forks

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Yes I have a fenced back yard so I get off multiple times mowing. Honestly the tractor is safer in gear. I need to decide if it makes more sense to bypass the neutral safety or the seat safety. If I bypass the neutral safety the seat safety should still kill the mower PTO, haven't tested this, if I get off the seat with it running. It also comes down to how easy the connector is to access.

I'll be doing bypassing the RIO safety at the same time. In high gear the tractor doesn't stop immediately when letting off the forward pedal so occasionally I like to touch reverse to make it stop. I've tried using the brake but it is too touchy and just locks the rear wheels messing up my yard.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    The seat bypass is the way to go, hands down. It's not only easier to get to but it takes care of the annoyance we are discussing along with others. Another example is sometimes I lean forward or up out the seat to look at where the bucket or palletforks are. Having the engine shut down as result is about the dumbest thing.

Tilt the seat up, disconnect the harness from the sensor, press the two metals pins out of the plastic connector (a small pick works well), heat shrink the pins together, ziptie it back against the harness and plug the plastic clip (sans pins now) back into the seat sensor. This is a secure solution and 100% reversible in the future with no evidence of tampering.
    2015 1025R w/ H120 Loader, 60D MMM AutoConnect, 54" QH Snowblower & Titan Pallet Forks

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rsw686 View Post
    I understand shifting to neutral when starting, but this is ridiculous. I mowed for the first time with the tractor and every time I get off I have to shift to neutral and apply the parking brake (otherwise it will roll on a hill). When I get back on I've already forgotten it was in neutral and almost rolled into the fence, etc. There is no indicator on the dash for neutral either. Why can't they just check for the parking brake to be on when getting off? I'm half tempted to just override the neutral switch. It's a hydro trans so its not going to move anyway in gear. I can't see any downsides to this as the MMM PTO will still disengage if I get off the seat when mowing. Or am I missing something?
    Well maybe it's because I by-passed the seat safety switch with a jumper wire but I don't understand why you have to shift into neutral and apply the parking brake. Leave it in gear and apply the brake. I do it all the time. On flat land I don't bother putting on the brake. Even on a hill if your just getting off for 30 seconds or less, I leave it in gear (low) and running, do what I have to and get back on and go about my business. Yes it will move some but not far or fast. I do all my work with the tractor in low range, never high.
    mdgilbreath likes this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    Well maybe it's because I by-passed the seat safety switch with a jumper wire but I don't understand why you have to shift into neutral and apply the parking brake. Leave it in gear and apply the brake. I do it all the time. On flat land I don't bother putting on the brake. Even on a hill if your just getting off for 30 seconds or less, I leave it in gear (low) and running, do what I have to and get back on and go about my business. Yes it will move some but not far or fast. I do all my work with the tractor in low range, never high.
    It's because you have your seat bypassed. From the factory to get off the tractor with the engine running it has to be placed in neutral otherwise it kills the engine.
    Levi and BetterThanATonka like this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    The real culprit and original reason for the thread is the seat safety switch. Bypass it and be done with it.
    Levi likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast