Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Remove 2305 drive shaft

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 05:29 PM
    Thanks

Remove 2305 drive shaft

Although completely unrelated to the project that started the weekend, now that I have my floorboard out, I tried again to get grease into the u-joints for the driveshaft. I have still had no luck. The rear joint has more play than I would like. The front one does not seem to have any slop, but now that I have detached it from the engine, I am not thrilled with the lack of motion in that joint. My thought was to get the assembly on the bench. look closer, try to get grease in it and possibly replace the spiders.

BUT, I can't get the darn thing out. I am attaching 3 photos to show my lack of success. I can't see any way to get this thing out without either cutting away part of the tractor or significant disassembly. I have the technical manual and I can't seem to find any guidance for this removal. Maybe I am missing something.

Any suggestions?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160807_142407128.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	2.53 MB 
ID:	221866Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160807_142359947.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	2.68 MB 
ID:	221874Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160807_142353044.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	2.78 MB 
ID:	221882
    RandyM and Gizmo2 like this.
    2305, 200CX loader w/53" bucket, 62C MMM, and 47 SB.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ljnelson109 For This Useful Post:

RandyM (08-08-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:14 AM
    Thanks
    My 2210 is very similar to your 2305. The only way I have been able to get the drive shaft out without breaking the tractor in half is to disassemble the rear U-joint and then drive shaft slides right out. I am not sure if you have enough space on a 2305 to take it out without doing that. I assume you have removed the clip and pin on the front end of the driveshaft? There are some threads on here and over at mytractorforum.com that discuss greasing the front U-joint with the shaft still in the tractor.

There should not be any "play" in the joint. If you are finding slop I would get a new U-joint. Much cheaper to replace that then a whole drive shaft which goes for around $800. The play will only get worse over time and eventually the drive shaft will break. That happened on mine.

If you do remove the shaft, take a look at the flywheel and check out the rubber isolator. Make sure it isn't dry rotted/etc. That will make the shaft vibrate as well. Good luck. This is one of the big Achilles heels of the early generation SCUT's.
    Gizmo2 and rtgt like this.

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 69project View Post
    My 2210 is very similar to your 2305. The only way I have been able to get the drive shaft out without breaking the tractor in half is to disassemble the rear U-joint and then drive shaft slides right out. I am not sure if you have enough space on a 2305 to take it out without doing that. I assume you have removed the clip and pin on the front end of the driveshaft? There are some threads on here and over at mytractorforum.com that discuss greasing the front U-joint with the shaft still in the tractor.

There should not be any "play" in the joint. If you are finding slop I would get a new U-joint. Much cheaper to replace that then a whole drive shaft which goes for around $800. The play will only get worse over time and eventually the drive shaft will break. That happened on mine.

If you do remove the shaft, take a look at the flywheel and check out the rubber isolator. Make sure it isn't dry rotted/etc. That will make the shaft vibrate as well. Good luck. This is one of the big Achilles heels of the early generation SCUT's.
    With the rear u-joint apart, you managed to pull the shaft towards the motor? I was actually thinking I would need to do the opposite on my machine. Yes, the snap ring and pins are out. Which reminds me, I have never seen a pair of roll pins used in a concentric configuration. Was your 2210 like that? Mine is so close to going that I was considering taking a grinder to the opening in the plate that supports the steering column. It seems insane to me that it is so close but no consideration was given to removing that assembly.

Some have suggested going to NAPA for generic joints. Did you? It looks like the factory joints are about $50 each. Still much cheaper than the $800 assembly.

Lee

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks

Nevermind

I got it! It just required a more creative twisting and turning. I now have the assembly in my hands. Now I have to evaluate the joints, decide if I need two and if I but JD or "other".

Lee

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 06:14 AM
    Thanks
    I pulled the shaft out towards the transaxle. Once I had the rear U joint apart it came out fairly easily. You can move the shaft forward about an inch to gain some room to remove the rear U-joint but that is about it.

Yes, my drive shaft had the concentric pins or did. I replaced that madness with a bolt and nut so I didn't have to deal with that snap ring. Too much of a PIA for me and my snap ring pliers not the best for this job. I have not had any issues over the past 30 hours. I am not the first guy to do this as I picked up that idea from another forum.

I had to buy a whole new drive shaft because mine snapped in half. I would say any quality U-joint that is the right size and has a zerk fitting is fine. I am sure JD charges way more than what they are worth. They are pretty small U-joint so I am not sure how common they are but a good NAPA store should be able to size them for you.

Glad you were able to remove it. That whole driveshaft system is a design failure if you ask me. It doesn't it's job but it is almost impossible to service. Hopefully your transmission fan is in good shape other wise this is the time to replace that too.
    Gizmo2 likes this.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 69project View Post
    I pulled the shaft out towards the transaxle. Once I had the rear U joint apart it came out fairly easily. You can move the shaft forward about an inch to gain some room to remove the rear U-joint but that is about it.

Yes, my drive shaft had the concentric pins or did. I replaced that madness with a bolt and nut so I didn't have to deal with that snap ring. Too much of a PIA for me and my snap ring pliers not the best for this job. I have not had any issues over the past 30 hours. I am not the first guy to do this as I picked up that idea from another forum.

I had to buy a whole new drive shaft because mine snapped in half. I would say any quality U-joint that is the right size and has a zerk fitting is fine. I am sure JD charges way more than what they are worth. They are pretty small U-joint so I am not sure how common they are but a good NAPA store should be able to size them for you.

Glad you were able to remove it. That whole driveshaft system is a design failure if you ask me. It doesn't it's job but it is almost impossible to service. Hopefully your transmission fan is in good shape other wise this is the time to replace that too.
    It took me over an hour to get the first u-joint apart. That thing is toast. I am going to go visit NAPA tomorrow. As for the roll pin, After two round trips to the store, I now have a decent pair of snap ring pliers. I planned to put it back to original. I seem to have misplaced the darn roll pin already in the mess I have made in the garage. I wouldn't want to reuse the same one, but it sure would have been nice to have the original for size. You have me thinking with the nut and bold.

My fan and rubber isolator both appear to be OK. Thanks for your assist.

Lee

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 673 Posts
    Lee, How many hours are on the clock?
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyM View Post
    Lee, How many hours are on the clock?
    Randy,

565 hours. It is a 2006 model. I bought in 2011 with 425 hours. I read the warnings (and your instructions) about this and knew that I should have worked harder to grease these joints. I am now paying the price for my lack of effort.

Based on the paint on everything, this has never been touched. I tried to see if I could get some grease into them and delay the swap. I couldn't get the fittings to turn enough to use the needle. Now that I am banging it apart, I am not regretting the decision to swap it out now. I plan to go to NAPA at lunch and see if they can set me up with some universal universal joints.....

Lee
    Gizmo2 likes this.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 673 Posts
    Lee, mine is an 2009 model with around the same hours. Even though I try to lube it regularly, I am trying to keep an eye on it. There are no guarantees' and it is way better to be safe than sorry. I think you'll not regret fixing it now. It would only cost you much more later.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyM View Post
    Lee, mine is an 2009 model with around the same hours. Even though I try to lube it regularly, I am trying to keep an eye on it. There are no guarantees' and it is way better to be safe than sorry. I think you'll not regret fixing it now. It would only cost you much more later.
    Thanks Randy. Now that I have a snow blower, my biggest fear is that it would let go in the middle of winter. Although the working conditions would be better than my 88 degree garage.

Although we don't get much snow, when we do it has to be cleared. It would be my luck that it would be down for the count when we get our biggest snow of the year!

Lee
    Gizmo2 likes this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast