Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: PTO Coil-Solenoid-Elec-Hyd Proportional Valve 1026R

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-14-2019 @ 04:33 PM
    Thanks

PTO Coil-Solenoid-Elec-Hyd Proportional Valve 1026R

Would like some help and reassurance I'm doing the right thing. Scenario is this, Cutting grass with MMM and PTO cuts off. Check temps, retry PTO switch, nothing. Move tractor to driveway, check GTT and get some ideas. Go back, jiggle wires, tap solenoid, and now it blows the 10A fuse. Dash switch seems fine, behaves as I expect, and when I disconnect the solenoid, I get PTO Coil error on the display when I try to engage it, but at least it's not blowing the fuse.
    After not getting a call back from my dealer, (I get it, they're busy) and not finding one in stock closer than NC, I go ahead and order the part from GFP(nice site!). Interestingly, the part LVA15556, which is ~150, has been replaced(?) by a part that is ~820 dollars?!?!?! Anyone know why the discrepancy?
    So I got around to attempting to remove the pto solenoid, and by gawsh, it's hard to do. I was able to remove the outboard 3mm hex bolt, but the inboard is causing me grief. I have been unable to locate a 1/4" drive 3mmHex socket, 3/8" won't quite fit, and I tried a regular long 3mm hex wrench, but it twists too much given its length and snaps out of the bolt, (damaging it a bit, so I've given up on that).
    I guess I'm asking for two things here; am I on the right track with the PTO Coil/Solenoid bit, and what's the best way to get that inboard 3mm Hex bolt out? (I guess since it's already bad PB Blaster can't hurt it?) Oh, and can I use just any old machine screw to replace the one I'm certain to destroy trying to remove?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 05:59 AM
    Thanks

3 mm socket

Quote Originally Posted by gmtravis View Post
    Would like some help and reassurance I'm doing the right thing. Scenario is this, Cutting grass with MMM and PTO cuts off. Check temps, retry PTO switch, nothing. Move tractor to driveway, check GTT and get some ideas. Go back, jiggle wires, tap solenoid, and now it blows the 10A fuse. Dash switch seems fine, behaves as I expect, and when I disconnect the solenoid, I get PTO Coil error on the display when I try to engage it, but at least it's not blowing the fuse.
    After not getting a call back from my dealer, (I get it, they're busy) and not finding one in stock closer than NC, I go ahead and order the part from GFP(nice site!). Interestingly, the part LVA15556, which is ~150, has been replaced(?) by a part that is ~820 dollars?!?!?! Anyone know why the discrepancy?
    So I got around to attempting to remove the pto solenoid, and by gawsh, it's hard to do. I was able to remove the outboard 3mm hex bolt, but the inboard is causing me grief. I have been unable to locate a 1/4" drive 3mmHex socket, 3/8" won't quite fit, and I tried a regular long 3mm hex wrench, but it twists too much given its length and snaps out of the bolt, (damaging it a bit, so I've given up on that).
    I guess I'm asking for two things here; am I on the right track with the PTO Coil/Solenoid bit, and what's the best way to get that inboard 3mm Hex bolt out? (I guess since it's already bad PB Blaster can't hurt it?) Oh, and can I use just any old machine screw to replace the one I'm certain to destroy trying to remove?
    3 MM sockets are certainly available but it might not be local. A quick check on the net showed several sites including Grainger and this one- http://www.aliexpress.com/popular/3m...et-wrench.html .

Depending on available access you might be able to cut a slot in the head and use a regular screwdriver, or drive a smaller socket on (if the backing material will stand the impact or cut or bend a wrench to fit. I've done both and have a really unusual shaped wrench that fit cylinder bars on a combine. I've never found another use of it but for that use, it couldn't be beat!

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Here is the test procedure for the PTO coil. It does sound like you may have a coil shorting out. I would check it with an ohm meter to see if the resistance is out of spec. Also check each coil terminal to the case of the housing. If you have any reading to the housing, the coil is shorted out.
    Concerning removing the inboard 3mm socket head screw, I would use a good quality standard "L" 3mm allen wrench or a long allen socket. https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-1363-8...621PP3DGBKCB5M

Securely engage the long leg of the allen wrench into the screw. Be sure to clean all the dirt out of the allen socket so you get good allen wrench engagement.
    Take a box end wrench and place the box end over the short end of the allen wrench. Using the box end wrench as a lever, use the wrench to place the twisting force on the allen wrench being careful to twist while applying some force toward the screw to keep the allen wrench engaged.
    If you are having trouble with the screw not wanting to loosen, try aligning a punch over the head of the screw and tap it. Careful to not tap to hard. Sometimes tapping on the head of a stuck bolt will cause it to loosen.

Good luck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1025R PTO solenoid test.PNG
    rtgt, Levi and jbfrancis3 like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray_PA For This Useful Post:

gmtravis(08-14-2016), Jeff B(08-11-2016)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Thanks
    I see the LVA15556 as still a good number. It replaced the LVA17822.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Big thanks Ray. If I didn't need a solenoid before, I need one now after breaking off the plug boot. Learning lots about my tractor as I've had to pull the seat and LR wheel as I try and remove that inboard hex bolt. Rounded a brand new Craftsman T Wrench, regular "L"s have destroyed what remains of the bolt. Broke the boot on the end of the solenoid to try and get a little more room to work, all to no luck. On the bright side the wife came out to the shop and said I needed to get AC in there! Still waiting on the replacement part, and hopefully by tomorrow after work the Allen wrench I've JB welded onto the bolt will be set up and I'll be able to get that thing out. Sigh..

Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    Here is the test procedure for the PTO coil. It does sound like you may have a coil shorting out. I would check it with an ohm meter to see if the resistance is out of spec. Also check each coil terminal to the case of the housing. If you have any reading to the housing, the coil is shorted out.
    Concerning removing the inboard 3mm socket head screw, I would use a good quality standard "L" 3mm allen wrench or a long allen socket. https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-1363-8...621PP3DGBKCB5M

Securely engage the long leg of the allen wrench into the screw. Be sure to clean all the dirt out of the allen socket so you get good allen wrench engagement.
    Take a box end wrench and place the box end over the short end of the allen wrench. Using the box end wrench as a lever, use the wrench to place the twisting force on the allen wrench being careful to twist while applying some force toward the screw to keep the allen wrench engaged.
    If you are having trouble with the screw not wanting to loosen, try aligning a punch over the head of the screw and tap it. Careful to not tap to hard. Sometimes tapping on the head of a stuck bolt will cause it to loosen.

Good luck
    Levi likes this.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks

JBWeld JBWont

No joy this evening trying to remove the 3mm hex, er, I mean 3.5mm round bolt. The JBWeld just broke. I don't know that I'll be able to get at it any better without tearing down the hydraulic lines, so I'm pretty lost. Of course I can't find any of my screw extractors, (generally junk imo, but I'm willing to try anything). So tomorrow is a trip to town to find extractors, if that doesn't work, maybe left handed bits, OR the sawzall. I'll probably and try to cut a slot into the bolt head, but don't have much confidence I can reach it, so I may be sawzalling the solenoid itself off. ((PLEASE SOMEONE STOP ME FROM DOING THAT!!!))
    theduke likes this.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:48 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,074 Times in 2,540 Posts
    Can you post a picture?
    I've had great luck with left hand bits, and square extractors.
    Duke Snyder, rtgt and Ray_PA like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    How about using a die grinder with a grinding wheel chucked (can use a carbide cutter although socket head cap screws are grade 9 so they are pretty hard. The carbide cutter will cut it although it won't last real long). Grind the head of the socket head set screw off, remove the solenoid and then get a hold of the remaining screw with a vise grip.
    Just a thought, although, it is really hard to give ideas without seeing the problem. Pictures!!!!
    https://www.google.com/search?q=die+...HdSrBAIQsAQIQA
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks

Beaten into submission!

Went out this evening after putting the kids to bed, and took another crack at it, and brought my phone along to get some pics. Pounded a 5/16"s nut driver onto the end of an extractor so that I could stick something that would work into the chuck of my drill. That didn't get it so I tried pounding a T20 torx into it, that didn't work, SO, I decided that maybe I could slap knock the head off the thing using a punch and 5lbs hammer. That sorta worked, bent my punch, so I thought that I would just try and sacrifice a long handled phillips head screwdriver. I hit it once, and noticed the head move!!! Back to driving in the T20 torx, and I was able to get it out. I don't know if you can tell, but the stripped bolt has a bit of a bend in it, too far down I think to have been from my whacking it, but I don't know, just glad it's out, and ticked at myself for not ordering replacements when I ordered the new solenoid. Maybe I can cut grass, er, hay, this weekend, sheesh. Big thanks for the ideas and help!!. (Sorry, this newb hasn't figured out how to rotate the attachment, looks good from my house, but seems it's 90 degrees off on the post preview)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0044[1].jpg IMG_0050[1].jpg
    rtgt likes this.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gmtravis For This Useful Post:

Kennyd(08-16-2016)

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:48 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,074 Times in 2,540 Posts
    Glad you got it out finally
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast