Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: 1026R front Tire Chains

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-13-2018 @ 06:33 AM
    Thanks

1026R front Tire Chains

about a year ago I came across a post where 1 GTT member had a set of front tire chains on R4 tires. Does anyone know where I can get a set?:

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:49 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,258 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fargow View Post
    about a year ago I came across a post where 1 GTT member had a set of front tire chains on R4 tires. Does anyone know where I can get a set?:
    TireChain.com Largest Selection Tire Chains | Highest Quality Tire Chains
    Levi likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 05:04 AM
    Thanks
    That's where I got mine. I did have to cut them down to fit as the chains they send fit more than one tire size. Wasn't hard to do.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:49 AM
    Thanks

Front Tire Chains

I'm going to pass this along even though I can't say for sure I totally understand the reasoning.

When I purchased my 1026r close to 5 yrs ago my dealer told me to never put chains on the front tires. I never had plans to put chains on the front to begin with given what I need to use my tractor for. I had been using a 420 so just having a tractor with FWD was more than I had ever had in the past.
    I do use chains on the rear but not on the front. That works for me for how I need to use my tractor in the winter.

So again, not sure what the dealers reasoning was but they were quite adamant about not putting chains on the front tires of my 1026.

Figured I would pass along to others be it right or wrong. I'll let others decide how to process that info.
    etcallhome, HydroHarold and Levi like this.
    Craig

John Deere 1026R - 2012
    54D Mowing Deck w/Auto Connect
    H120 FEL w/KBOH
    47" QH Snowblower w/linear actuator
    54" QH Blade w/Artillian Rubber Edge
    Heavy Hitch Bracket w/receiver & cart
    HH Quick attach Front Weight Bracket
    Lawn sweeper (left over from 420)
    Dump Cart (left over from 420)
    Loaded Turf Tires with Wheel Weights & Chains
    Most important item - Tech Manual
    Previously, 26yr owner of JD 420 w/mowing deck, & blade
    Tech Manual for 420

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlumbra View Post
    So again, not sure what the dealers reasoning was but they were quite adamant about not putting chains on the front tires of my 1026.
    The dealer told me the same thing about the 2720. Later I discovered that JD actually sold spacers for the front wheels for the sole purpose of providing extra clearance for tire chains. I bought a set of spacers and have been running chains on all four wheels ever since.
    Gizmo2, Levi and coaltrain like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 09:51 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlumbra View Post
    Many people will recommend against putting chains on the front wheels. There's a lot more going on with the front wheels than there is with the rear wheels just because of the need to turn the tractor. The rear wheels are in a fixed position and the spacing between the tire and the rest of the machine never changes during operation.

The front wheels turn and get awfully close to a lot of bits/pieces that aren't moving. There isn't a lot of clearance between the tire and non-moving parts of the front end when those wheels are fully turned.

Add a tire chain into the mix and there is a good possibility of the chain (which is rotating with the tire) making contact and tearing things up. Imagine yourself out plowing a long driveway. You're tooling along at full speed and the inside chain band breaks loose and wraps itself around a tie rod. That chain is going to continue rotating with the tire so either the tie rod holds up and the tire/wheel comes to a screeching halt (possibly ruining your MFWD) or the chain/tire hold up and you rip the tie rod off.

Not saying that either WILL happen, but either COULD happen.

Personally, I don't really see the need for front chains but if I was going to put anything on the front wheels I think I'd look at something like the GoClaws or some sort of rubber chains instead of standard chains.
    etcallhome and coaltrain like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Personally, I don't really see the need for front chains but if I was going to put anything on the front wheels I think I'd look at something like the GoClaws or some sort of rubber chains instead of standard chains.
    I seem to get more traction from the front tires than I do from the rear. I tried initially running only rear chains and had traction issues when conditions were icy. I would prefer to not run any chains but traction is king during the winter.

These small CUT and SCUT tractors just don't have sufficient weight to get traction to the ground.

On my old Ford 9N I ran loaded rear tires and chains and it was difficult to get the wheels to spin no matter what the conditions. So naturally when I got the 2720 with 4X4 I was thinking I really had it made. In fact the dealer told me that now that I had 4X4 I probably wouldn't even need chains. HAH!

The first winter session was a disaster. With 4X4 disengaged I couldn't even back up with the front snow blower raised as the rear wheels would just spin. It seemed 4X4 was required just to get out of the shed. Again, I attribute this to the relatively light weight of these small tractors.

For the past three winters it is been 4X4 + front chains + rear chains = no problems. :-)
    Last edited by jgayman; 08-20-2016 at 12:04 PM.
    Levi likes this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    12-13-2018 @ 06:33 AM
    Thanks
    My dealer also told me not to put chains on the front of my 1026R. I completely understand JD's theory and everyone here on GTT. however, I was going to add the spacers so as not to interfere w/the tie rods.
    My SCUT has R4 tires and it doesn't steer very well in the winter and I live in the snow belt. - put over 100 hours on last winter. I just wanted to add the chains for better steering plus, the chains will come in handy when in mud too. Which I see from time to time.
    Levi likes this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 05:04 AM
    Thanks
    I have run chains on the front of my 1026r without any issues. As far as needing chains it really depends on the conditions your operating in. Some people say the 1026/1025 is unstoppable in snow with the 54" blower and there is no need for chains. I don't find this to be true. I find my 1026 to be mostly useless without chains and ballast.
    Levi and Marlin like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

12. Top | #10
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:02 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,993 Times in 2,950 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    The dealer told me the same thing about the 2720. Later I discovered that JD actually sold spacers for the front wheels for the sole purpose of providing extra clearance for tire chains. I bought a set of spacers and have been running chains on all four wheels ever since.
    As you already know, same here.

My dealer also told me not to put chains on the front of my 1026R. I completely understand JD's theory and everyone here on GTT. however, I was going to add the spacers so as not to interfere w/the tie rods.
    My SCUT has R4 tires and it doesn't steer very well in the winter and I live in the snow belt. - put over 100 hours on last winter. I just wanted to add the chains for better steering plus, the chains will come in handy when in mud too. Which I see from time to time.
    You will NOT believe the improved steering and snow duties on hard packed snow or ice.
    I ran front chains on our 650 for over 20 years for snow plowing and have been running them on the 2320 since 2008.
    Levi and blue87fj60 like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast