Opinion on soft cab enclosure for 1025R?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By fishbait
  • 1 Post By ChrisR

Thread: Opinion on soft cab enclosure for 1025R?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-27-2018 @ 08:11 AM
    Thanks

Opinion on soft cab enclosure for 1025R?

So I am going to use my new 1025R for snowblowing my big driveway - I have the 54" blower. I am going to purchase a soft enclosure to - why soft?... primarily because (a) cost of the hard enclosure, and (b) ease of removal for summer. I get that a hard enclosure is superior, but honestly not interested in spending $5K on something I will use maybe once a week in the winter for an hour at a time. So with that being said, I wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with the soft enclosures that you see on eBay for the 1025R. Here is a link to it:

Original Tractor Cab Hard Top Cab Enclosure Fits John Deere 1023E 1025R 1026R | eBay

For $885 shipped to my door, I won't find one cheaper. But does anyone have any personal experience with this company or product? I do have realistic expectations here - I know it is not going to be perfect, but for the money it looks like a good deal. I also understand that it is not going to be as nice as a Curtis hard cab, but for under $1K, I think it looks good.

Thoughts?
    2016 JD 1025R, H120 FEL with 53" QA Bucket, 60D Auto Connect MMM, 54" QH snowblower, 52" QH Rotary Broom, Deere 14BU MCS, Fimco 40g 3PT Sprayer, Titan 42" Pallet Forks, Original Tractor Cab, iMatch, Ballast Box, Omni Hitch

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 05:25 AM
    Thanks
    I had an OTC soft cab on a previous lawn tractor that I used to plow snow. The quality was fairly good and it did enclose me from the elements somewhat. The issues to consider with a soft cab are:

1. Front Windshield.. With a snowblower you will encounter fine snow coating the windows. You definitely need a glass windshield (optional with OTC). The lexan windshield provided in the basic kit cannot be equipped with a wiper.

2. You most definitely will need a windshield wiper. (optional extra).

3. Window defroster. The windows get covered with fine snow on the outside and with frost from your breath on the inside. You will need some kind of warm air blower to keep the windows warmer than the surrounding air. Other than a fan driven heater core which is around $500 installed, I never found a suitable way to heat the cab. Be in no doubt, you will need to defrost the windows somehow if using a snowblower. I was just using a plow and had difficulty with window frost.

Other than the window/frost issues I was satisfied with the OTC cab in terms of installation, quality of materials, and design. It does leak a lot of air so don't expect a cozy enclosure.

The defroster issue would be a deal breaker for me with the OTC. I have a Tektite heated cab with all the options for my 1025 and it is awesome! It was very expensive but, at my age, I value the comfort and am willing to pay.
    ljnelson109, Doug and KE8LW like this.
    1025r
    H120 Loader w/Ken's hooks, Pirhana Bar, Ratchet Rake, Bucket Tamer Shoes, front quick hitch
    260 Backhoe w/Ken's hook, BXpanded Thumb, Bro-Tec Ripper Tooth
    Artillian Diverter kit. Grapple w/Fangs, loader arm mounted 54 snow blade w/ wings, 24" forks
    54" Rock Bucket
    Ballast box
    I-Match
    Box Blade
    Back Blade
    3pt CarryAll
    Boom Pole
    Artillian Front Hoe
    RimGuard in all 4
    2" Wheel Spacers
    Heavy Hitch
    Block Heater
    HLA 60" Snow Pusher w/Backdrag Blade
    Tektite hard side heated cab

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,517 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Have owned OTC on various tractors over the years. IMO for the money they can't be beat. Will agree a heater is nice and I have one , plus glass windshield and electric wiper. No not a hard cab ,no not totally enclosed but far better than setting out in the snow freezing your A$$ off.

Before I found a regular heater (connected to the cooling system) I had a https://www.walmart.com/ip/20450314?...&wl13=&veh=sem
    I made a bracket and mounted the heater in the front right side of the cab heater ,mounted the heater so it would rest against the rod going across the side door window. The heater would throw out enough heat to keep the windshield clean and would keep the body from freezing, maybe not hot but not frozen. No concern of using up all the oxygen, more than enough fresh air still coming in around the doors and back of cab.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-07-2016 @ 11:57 AM
    Thanks
    Of course since I don't even have my tractor yet, I can't add anything about the cabs.

But for defrosting the windshield, could you use something like a 12V plug in heater? Plug into the 12V port and point it at the windshield?

Although none of that sort of heater reviews very well.
    Last edited by GregS; 08-28-2016 at 06:34 PM.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 06:19 PM
    Thanks
    I used Original Tractor Cabs for over 10 years on three different tractors. They worked great for me when I had a snow blower. Quality was great. They were easy to install & remove. I would recommend getting the glass windshield & wiper options. With a snow blower & the wind from the wrong direction, the windshield will get covered with blow back snow. I had very little trouble with the windows fogging up. If they did fog up, I just opened both door for a couple of minutes & the windows cleared up.
    KE8LW likes this.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,517 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GregS View Post
    Of course since I don't even have my tractor yet, I can't add anything about the cabs.

But for defrosting the windshield, could you use something like a 12V plug in heater? Plug into the 12V port and point it at the windshield?

Although none of that sort of heater reviews very well.
    Save your money on the 12v heater.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements