Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: B260 Backhoe Boom Fast and jerky, possible solution

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-15-2019 @ 05:33 PM
    Thanks

B260 Backhoe Boom Fast and jerky, possible solution

Well, I have been up and down these posts, and other posts on other sites as well, lots of people complain about this problem
    Yes, the boom on my B260 Backhoe is also fast and jerky, however mine is brand new, so there are no worn out parts, it came like this new. the Dipper and Bucket operate smoothly but the boom is very fast and jerky, it sometimes will shake the whole machine, and yes I asked my dealer about it and all they told me is, "well you just need to learn how to operate it" Well he may be right, but if everyone has this problem, then it could be a design flaw in the part of John Deere.
    So as I was looking over the unit I noticed that the Boom Cylinder is significantly narrower than the dipper cylinder, now I may not have a engineering degree but simple physics tells me that a smaller cylinder will fill with fluid much faster than a bigger one. Which would tell me why the boom is so fast and jerky.
    Well I thought about just replacing the boom cylinder with another dipper one, so I looked online for a dipper cylinder (LVA14990) just to see how much, well its $1013, compared to $725 for the boom cylinder(LVA14991).
    So what do ya'll think? Could I be on the right track??

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 09:22 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vincentrose View Post
    Well, I have been up and down these posts, and other posts on other sites as well, lots of people complain about this problem
    Yes, the boom on my B260 Backhoe is also fast and jerky, however mine is brand new, so there are no worn out parts, it came like this new. the Dipper and Bucket operate smoothly but the boom is very fast and jerky, it sometimes will shake the whole machine, and yes I asked my dealer about it and all they told me is, "well you just need to learn how to operate it" Well he may be right, but if everyone has this problem, then it could be a design flaw in the part of John Deere.
    So as I was looking over the unit I noticed that the Boom Cylinder is significantly narrower than the dipper cylinder, now I may not have a engineering degree but simple physics tells me that a smaller cylinder will fill with fluid much faster than a bigger one. Which would tell me why the boom is so fast and jerky.
    Well I thought about just replacing the boom cylinder with another dipper one, so I looked online for a dipper cylinder (LVA14990) just to see how much, well its $1013, compared to $725 for the boom cylinder(LVA14991).
    So what do ya'll think? Could I be on the right track??
    Less expensive route to test your theory would be to put a hydraulic restrictor in line on one of the cylinder hoses. This would prevent it from filling as quickly and could be done for less than $50 with fittings. Any good hydraulics shop could assemble everything you need.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Gizmo2, Levi and Robnik like this.
    2014 John Deere 1025R, 54D MMM, H120 Loader, 647 Rotary Tiller (purchased new from dealer April 2014)

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KD7CAO View Post
    Less expensive route to test your theory would be to put a hydraulic restrictor in line on one of the cylinder hoses. This would prevent it from filling as quickly and could be done for less than $50 with fittings. Any good hydraulics shop could assemble everything you need.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Someone with more knowledge on hydraulic systems may chime in here and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd think a meter out flow control on both ends of the cylinder ports may do the trick. Considering these systems are open center and both sides of the cylinder are filled with fluid, metering / restricting the outflow of the fluid will result in much smoother operation than a meter in flow control.

Just my opinion.
    Gizmo2, HydroHarold, Levi and 1 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 06:25 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonton View Post
    Someone with more knowledge on hydraulic systems may chime in here and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd think a meter out flow control on both ends of the cylinder ports may do the trick. Considering these systems are open center and both sides of the cylinder are filled with fluid, metering / restricting the outflow of the fluid will result in much smoother operation than a meter in flow control.

Just my opinion.
    With industrial equipment I have found smoother operation metering in instead of out. When your actuator or valve shifts you would have to develop pressure on the opposite side of the cylinder metering out and that still results in a little surging. In factory configuration by only slightly moving the valve to move a cylinder slowly you are in fact using the valve to meter in.
    Gizmo2, Levi and Robnik like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:10 PM
    Thanks
    I am still in the "learn to use it " group.

1) slow the throttle down,,, slow it down enough, it will bore you into speeding it up.

2) The control lever is like a trigger on a gun.
    Remember how many cowboy movies show teaching the novice how to shoot?
    "Squeeze the trigger,,, do not jerk the trigger"

That applies to this control lever.
    S L O W L Y move the lever, the sudden jerk will go away.

When you learn to get rid of the jerking, you will appreciate the extra speed.
    A faster machine will get the work done faster.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    08-02-2019 @ 05:58 AM
    Thanks
    No offense intended here, but the most common mistake is too high of an RPM setting. Restricting flow to solve a problem that the throttle can do for you is wasting time and money. Here's the recommendations and a comment regarding your experience right out of the 260 manual. The higher the throttle RPM the more sensitive to operate BH, with no gain in digging / breakout force.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	260.png 
Views:	324 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	229906

I'd recommend you start out at about 2000 rpm, until you get the feel for it. Increase throttle as you gain experience.

Operating Range:

Name:	260 RPM Range.png 
Views:	325 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	229914

I'm a recent owner myself, but the 260 is what I use most of the time. I dug these and ~ 20 larger ones today. The FEL is struggling with the one on the left, so I'll move that later.

Name:	IMG_3502.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	159.2 KB 
ID:	229922 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3503.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	219.6 KB 
ID:	229930

After some experience you'll be operating as well as this guy:

Happy digging!
    Tom

2010 JD LA115 mower w/bagger
    2011 JD 10P dump cart
    2016 JD 1025R TLB: H120 loader w/ 49" bucket - 260 BH w/12" bucket - 60D MMM w/auto PTO - iMatch Quick Hitch
    Heavy Hitch toothbar | Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks | Ken's Seat Springs | Ken's Diff Pedal | Edge Tamers
    Frontier 2048 Box blade | Frontier LR2060L Landscape Rake
    2016 Cyclone Rake model Z-10

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    I agree.... Throttle down!! More throttle does not make the BH dig any better, just faster.
    Also, the more you use it the better you will get with the controls.

The boom speed also has allot to do with the geometry of where the cylinders are mounted and the position of the boom. The higher the boom is, the faster the boom will move. At a low boom angle, the cylinder to boom geometry changes so the boom is slower at lower angles.

If you look at how the boom cylinder is mounted, when the boom is at a high angle, the boom cylinder is actually pulling more down on the boom rather than applying pulling force at a leverage angle. The leverage angle increases when the boom is lower.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 260 BH Picture.jpg  
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    10-12-2019 @ 02:39 PM
    Thanks
    The jerkiness we all experience with the boom when it reaches the vertical position is due to the geometry of the cylinder and attach points. The three points, the hinge point of the boom and the two ends of the cylinder, are close to being in line with each other. That means that for every bit of movement of the cylinder, the boom will be covering a much larger distance than when the boom is horizontal. You simply need to learn that as you approach vertical, you need to ease off the boom lever.

Switching to a larger diameter cylinder will not change this geometry, but it will give the boom more power than it was designed for, which risks causing damage to the machine.

* Just noticed that Ray_Pa mentioned the same thing...
    Last edited by W9GFO; 08-27-2016 at 09:42 PM.
    Levi, BigJim55, Ray_PA and 3 others like this.
    1025r TLB, 54" Bucket, R4 Tires (metal valve stems!) with Beet Juice, 60D Mower Deck - mechanical lift, 42" Titan Pallet Forks w/Bale spear, 54" ETA Box Blade, 72" ETA Landscape Rake, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks and Diff pedal extension, Piranha Tooth Bar and psrumor's Seat Springs

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks
    I have just a tad of advise to offer.

Throttle down does/will help.......This is not an option on large machines as the whole particulate filter/regen whatever won't like it.

I baled out of a tractor mounted BH and went excavater.

First thing I notice here is there are NO armrests..these help a bunch in a mini ex.

Secondly...plant your outriggers and bucket to prevent as much movement as possible...once the "jerk" gets in a cycle it can multiply to a point where you just let go of everything to stop it.

Time/practice/low rpm will get you in a rythem eventually. Can you switch your machine to "CAT" pattern of control.

Try it if so....its preferred by most operators.

ymmv....my thoughts
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    I have just a tad of advise to offer.

Throttle down does/will help.......This is not an option on large machines as the whole particulate filter/regen whatever won't like it.

I baled out of a tractor mounted BH and went excavater.

First thing I notice here is there are NO armrests..these help a bunch in a mini ex.

Secondly...plant your outriggers and bucket to prevent as much movement as possible...once the "jerk" gets in a cycle it can multiply to a point where you just let go of everything to stop it.

Time/practice/low rpm will get you in a rythem eventually. Can you switch your machine to "CAT" pattern of control.

Try it if so....its preferred by most operators.

ymmv....my thoughts
    IMO, what most operators prefer has most to do with what they got used to running. SAE control layout was developed in the US so machines that were originally built in the US, like CAT, used the SAE Control layout.
    Machines that were built internationally, mostly used the ISO lever layout. This would include JD.
    Most all new excavators and backhoes now have the ability to switch them to the ISO or SAE, depending on what you are used to.

It really comes down to what you have gotten used to.
    IndianaJim, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast