Need help in identifying/locating the correct gator blades for my 1023 w/ 54" deck.
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By ErikR
  • 1 Post By romcjr
  • 1 Post By tommott77
  • 1 Post By jbfrancis3

Thread: Need help in identifying/locating the correct gator blades for my 1023 w/ 54" deck.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    12-31-2018 @ 12:19 PM
    Thanks

Question Need help in identifying/locating the correct gator blades for my 1023 w/ 54" deck.

Hi all. Ran into my first issue with my 1023 that I purchased this June. I hit a couple tenths of an inch worth of the remnants of a cut off fence post, street sign, or something similar and bent up a mower blade enough that it scalped up the next 20' worth of grass after the aforementioned confrontation with the post. Tried to see if I can bend it back into shape but that looks like a no-go without a whole of heat and several thousand pounds worth of a press.

The cut on 54" deck has been for the most part excellent, save for the copious amount of clippings left over. I had grown accustomed to the gator blades on had on my 318 and 316. The clippings have started making their way into my house; which comes as little surprise with having one girlfriend, two boys, four dogs, and two cats constantly making their into the house. So I've decided to make a switch to some gator blades, with the possibility of going the full mulching route down the road if the gator blades do not yield the desired results.

I spent some time today looking for some today to no avail though. I found some gator blades for John Deere 54" decks but did not find anything listed as being compatible with a 1023/1025. I also found some gator blades compatible with the 1023/1025 but only for the 60" deck. Other than that I'm currently lost. Can somebody help point me in the direction of the correct gator blades for my 54" deck? I'm half wondering if all the JD 54" deck blades are the same as the my local dealer said that he has the original 'high-lift' blades in stock. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    https://www.oregonpartsstore.com/Gator-Blades/
    Go here with the part number for your blades and cross reference it. When you click on the web site above you will end up at the blades page.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1˝" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:38 PM
    Thanks
    The J-D part number for the standard blades for the 54D deck under my 1025r is M143520 ... at least that's what the 3 blades on my work bench are stamped. I know the image below says 54c, but the specs are for the above part number...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blade.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	230890

A google search for "gator blades M143520" got me this part number 396-719. Then, from the Oregon parts store....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b2.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	230898

Hope this helps...
    DRobinson and Levi like this.
    2014 1025R, H120 loader w/53" bucket and Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar, 54" Auto Connect MMM, 47" QH snow blower, Ballast box and loaded rear tires, Speeco Quick Hitch, Ken's Bolt-on Grab Hooks, King Kutter Carry All, 54" front QH blade w/Heavy Hitch skids, Titan 36" pallet forks, Land Pride GS0560 Grading Scraper, and chrome (kitchen drain pipe) exhaust tip!!

1950 Allis-Chalmers B, Electric start, PTO, Belt Pulley, Hydraulic pump. Stuck engine (a work in progress)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikR For This Useful Post:

tommott77 (08-29-2016)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-06-2019 @ 04:17 PM
    Thanks
    ErikR is correct . This is the number I use to order . 396-719 Gator G6 . I use these on my 1025R and X580 both with 54" decks . Got mine off ebay .
    Levi likes this.
    Ron
    2016 1025R SILB (Self Installed Loader Backhoe)
    54 Autoconnect MMM
    JD Imatch
    Several homemade Mods
    Ken's bolt on grab hooks combo , Diff lock pedal , Oblong slings , Backhoe Steps
    Piranha tooth bar
    Artillian forks
    Armstong Ag 4' Box Blade
    Fimco 40 gal. 3 pt. sprayer
    Blue Hawk (?) Plug Aerator

2016 x580
    Power Flow 14 Bushel Bagger
    Brushguard
    Jeff's LED Taillights
    JD Mulch Kit
    42 Hyd. Tiller

8. The Following User Says Thank You to romcjr For This Useful Post:

tommott77 (08-29-2016)

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks so much for the help. That was exactly what I was looking for.
    Levi likes this.

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    10-17-2019 @ 03:59 PM
    Thanks
    I suggest you look into the mulching kit for the 54" deck. It adds internal baffles to the deck which helps recirculate and chop up clippings into tiny pieces. They will then fall between the grass and be less likely to be tracking into the house. An added bonus is the mulch kit comes with a set of 3 blades.

I would argue the gator blades alone (sans mulching kit) will get you half the desired effect. Yes, the little "winglets" on the gator blade help recirculate the air toward to the center of the blade but the deck is still designed to discharge. The mulch kit changes the air flow management of the deck.
    Levi likes this.
    2015 1025R w/ H120 Loader, 60D MMM AutoConnect, 54" QH Snowblower & Titan Pallet Forks

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
    I suggest you look into the mulching kit for the 54" deck. It adds internal baffles to the deck which helps recirculate and chop up clippings into tiny pieces. They will then fall between the grass and be less likely to be tracking into the house. An added bonus is the mulch kit comes with a set of 3 blades.

I would argue the gator blades alone (sans mulching kit) will get you half the desired effect. Yes, the little "winglets" on the gator blade help recirculate the air toward to the center of the blade but the deck is still designed to discharge. The mulch kit changes the air flow management of the deck.
    I'm considering that is as a possible option down the road. When I asked my dealer about it he said it 300 hundred something bucks so I want to see how the gator blades work out first.

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:38 PM
    Thanks
    Your dealer has kind of a high price. If you shop a couple of the internet parts places for part #BM20827, you should find the kits closer to $218 give or take... Installation is easy. If you can take your deck off and stand it up your self, you can probably do it your self. A good 6 point 18mm socket helps a lot.

It cuts nice, makes leaves go away, but remember to cut a little more often. You get a better looking yard and no wind-rowing

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...s-bm20827.html
    2014 1025R, H120 loader w/53" bucket and Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar, 54" Auto Connect MMM, 47" QH snow blower, Ballast box and loaded rear tires, Speeco Quick Hitch, Ken's Bolt-on Grab Hooks, King Kutter Carry All, 54" front QH blade w/Heavy Hitch skids, Titan 36" pallet forks, Land Pride GS0560 Grading Scraper, and chrome (kitchen drain pipe) exhaust tip!!

1950 Allis-Chalmers B, Electric start, PTO, Belt Pulley, Hydraulic pump. Stuck engine (a work in progress)

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements