• 2 Post By BetterThanATonka

Thread: 60D Mowing with Deck Riding on Gauge Wheels

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-25-2018 @ 05:16 PM
    Thanks

60D Mowing with Deck Riding on Gauge Wheels

'Stupid Question of the Day'...

With my last tractor (model 1864 Cub Cadet w/ 46" mower deck) I used to mow with the deck lowered all the way down so that the gauge wheels could ride directly on the turf the entire time. However, after reading countless forum posts here and elsewhere regarding the SCUT and CUT mowers, it seems as though everyone(?) sets the deck height on the tractor -essentially leaving the deck hanging from the tractor, with the gauge wheels used only to prevent scalping. Since I've mowed this way (deck all the way down riding on the gauge wheels) with every tractor I've owned prior to buying my 1025R, I just assumed that this was the correct mowing procedure. Have I interpreted that correctly, are most of you mowing wit hthe deck suspended from the tractor the entire time, or are some of you guys mowing with the deck all the way down on the gauge wheels?

The reason I'm even asking this extremely basic question is that I've struggled to get a smooth, consistent cut with my 60D mowing with deck hanging from tractor -but NEVER had any trouble achieving a smooth cut with any of my prior tractors mower decks riding directly on the turf.

Can you guys please provide me with your experience/opinions?

Thanks.
    Ken

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Thanks
    The mower is designed for the gauge wheel to not ride on the ground. The manual has a chart for where to set the gauge wheels for mowing at different heights.
    My first tractor mower was a Ariens GT12. The mower deck height was set by the gauge wheels. All of the John Deere tractor mowers I have owned have had the mower height set by the tractor, with the gauge wheels not touching the ground.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Thanks
    You can level the deck hangers. That may be your issue. Check if the deck is level when hanging and no wheels touching the ground. There is a procedure in the manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DRobinson likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 06:14 AM
    Thanks
    You will burn through gauge wheels pretty quick on a JD if you run them on the ground. I bought a 425 once and the PO had done that and the wheels were shot when I got it. They are not really that cheap to replace either.
    DRobinson and Ray_PA like this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    11-25-2018 @ 05:16 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vt2305 View Post
    You can level the deck hangers. That may be your issue. Check if the deck is level when hanging and no wheels touching the ground. There is a procedure in the manual.
    One of the first things I checked was that the deck was leveled correctly. I think it's more a byproduct of having a lawn that's not perfectly flat with a lot of imperfections (bumpy ground) that causes the tractor to pitch left and right -thus causing this wide deck to dip from side to side and subsequently scalp the grass in the area of each dip. I just thought that the gauge wheels would have thus prevented that. Perhaps I need to go back and re-adjust them (or experiment with them) to find the proper setting for my application.
    Ken

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 02:06 PM
    Thanks
    Gage wheels riding on the ground, and riding on the turf are not the same thing. I have my gage wheels adjusted so that they are always in contact (rolling) on grass. But over hard ground they are not in constant contact. Since I have lowered them to this point the uneven cutting while sideslope has vanished. Or at least, I don't notice it.
    1025r TLB, 54" Bucket, R4 Tires (metal valve stems!) with Beet Juice, 60D Mower Deck - mechanical lift, 42" Titan Pallet Forks w/Bale spear, 54" ETA Box Blade, 72" ETA Landscape Rake, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks and Diff pedal extension, Piranha Tooth Bar and psrumor's Seat Springs

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by W9GFO View Post
    Gage wheels riding on the ground, and riding on the turf are not the same thing. I have my gage wheels adjusted so that they are always in contact (rolling) on grass. But over hard ground they are not in constant contact. Since I have lowered them to this point the uneven cutting while sideslope has vanished. Or at least, I don't notice it.
    Mine are set like that too. Always turning on the lawn but but not on the driveway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DRobinson likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,613 Posts
    You will find with the 60" gauge wheels need to be within 1/4" or less to get a nice cut, especially with your lawn is sloped....
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Letting the wheels always ride on the ground can damage your deck. 1/2" to 1" above the ground is all you need. They will normally turn just from dragging on the grass.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    08-02-2019 @ 05:58 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by W9GFO View Post
    ^^ x2.

There is a big difference between your old mower & deck and this one (size, weight & mounting). Per the manual, your gauge wheels should be (3/8-in.) distance between gage wheels and ground. Measure this on a flat surface, such as the garage floor or driveway. As you're mowing, the wheels will spin because the turf / grass is making them spin, with only occasional contact with the ground / dirt. I've tried to illustrate this here in a mowing situation:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hump.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	233033

There is no fix I'm aware of for the hump problem, (abrupt rise and fall where the crest fits inside the deck), other than removing the hump and planting seed.
    If you've done all of the above and are still experiencing problems, check tire pressure and slow speed in problem areas. Here's the troubleshooting section for those issues:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Troubleshooting.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	233105

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Last edited by BetterThanATonka; 09-03-2016 at 09:41 PM.
    BigJim55 and Ray_PA like this.
    Tom

2010 JD LA115 mower w/bagger
    2011 JD 10P dump cart
    2016 JD 1025R TLB: H120 loader w/ 49" bucket - 260 BH w/12" bucket - 60D MMM w/auto PTO - iMatch Quick Hitch
    Heavy Hitch toothbar | Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks | Ken's Seat Springs | Ken's Diff Pedal | Edge Tamers
    Frontier 2048 Box blade | Frontier LR2060L Landscape Rake
    2016 Cyclone Rake model Z-10

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements