Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Will This Mess Up My Backhoe???

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 03:25 PM
    Thanks

Will This Mess Up My Backhoe???

I saw this pic in another topic. I will be doing a lot of big rock work with my brand new 1025 coming soon - but I have never ever used a backhoe, or even started up a tractor.

My question - this looks like it would be real hard on the backhoe "arm." It surely would scratch the paint up - but if used a lot like that, how bad will it be for the life of the backhoe??? My rocks are even more jagged than this one.

Are there any pads, etc that could be used for protection? I plan on getting the thumb, but a rock this size looks too big for the thumb.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3522 2.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 09:59 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by konakid View Post
    ...how bad will it be for the life of the backhoe???
    Cosmetically, not good. Functionaly, won't hurt it a bit.
    Levi likes this.
    1025r TLB, 54" Bucket, R4 Tires (metal valve stems!) with Beet Juice, 60D Mower Deck - mechanical lift, 42" Titan Pallet Forks w/Bale spear, 54" ETA Box Blade, 72" ETA Landscape Rake, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks and Diff pedal extension, Piranha Tooth Bar and psrumor's Seat Springs

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 07:42 PM
    Thanks
    For a rock of this size I would use the backhoe to dig it out, of course, and push it on to some flat land. Then I'd drive the loader up to it. If I couldnt' just push the loader under it I would put a chain around it -- with the chain hooked to hooks I added to the loader -- and tilt the loader bucket up to lift the rock and get it to slide into the bucket. If it's secure enough at that point, take it to the rock pile. If not, put it down and adjust the chain.

I imagine that trying to carry a rock pinched with the backhoe like in your photo would result in it falling out while driving. Plus, once I drive it to the rock pile (or wherever) you'll have to maneuver to drop it and move it into position.
    Levi and Treefarmer like this.
    1025R TLB with the 53" loader bucket and 12" backhoe bucket, 54" mower deck (no AutoConnect!), 54" snowblower, 647 tiller, and a ballast box. Fitted an RIO override, added several KBOGH products (a pair of hooks on the loader bucket, a clevis mount to the backhoe, and the diff lock pedal), a GoPro mount on top of the ROPS, R2 Manufacturing 2x 4" Edge Tamers and Edge Extenders. What next?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    08-02-2019 @ 05:58 AM
    Thanks
    I saw this pic in another topic. I will be doing a lot of big rock work with my brand new 1025 coming soon - but I have never ever used a backhoe, or even started up a tractor.

My question - this looks like it would be real hard on the backhoe "arm." It surely would scratch the paint up - but if used a lot like that, how bad will it be for the life of the backhoe??? My rocks are even more jagged than this one.

Are there any pads, etc that could be used for protection? I plan on getting the thumb, but a rock this size looks too big for the thumb.

FYI - Even though that was me that did it, I wouldn't recommend it due to the cosmetic issues. That rock was simply too tall to fit in my loader bucket.
    In order to accomplish that, I had a heavier rock in the loader.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Loader Rock.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	509.0 KB 
ID:	232881

Quote Originally Posted by W9GFO View Post
    Cosmetically, not good. Functionaly, won't hurt it a bit.
    Agreed, no functional harm. FYI - It did not remove any paint, a slight scratch which will be touched up this fall along with the loader bucket.

Prior to this one, I was getting the toothbar under them and using slings and a chain to hold it in the FEL. But for this one, I was short one screw pin for the shackle and one sling short. (soon to be rectified).
    If you have lots that you expect won't fit in the FEL, you might consider pallet forks. Otherwise, visit Kens Bolt On Hooks and get yourself a set of Bolt On Hooks for your bucket and some chain or slings. I prefer the slings as the tend to grab the rocks and not slip like the chain does sometimes.
    Levi likes this.
    Tom

2010 JD LA115 mower w/bagger
    2011 JD 10P dump cart
    2016 JD 1025R TLB: H120 loader w/ 49" bucket - 260 BH w/12" bucket - 60D MMM w/auto PTO - iMatch Quick Hitch
    Heavy Hitch toothbar | Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks | Ken's Seat Springs | Ken's Diff Pedal | Edge Tamers
    Frontier 2048 Box blade | Frontier LR2060L Landscape Rake
    2016 Cyclone Rake model Z-10

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 09:03 PM
    Thanks
    Usually, when somebody asks if something will scratch a possible tractor purchase,,,

I recommend,,,
    "Keep your checkbook in your pocket"

Getting scratches is why you buy a tractor.

That said,, here is a way to move a rock,,, with no scratches.
    My daughter wanted a front yard decoration,,
    this rock is WAY bigger than the "backhoe rock"

I had just used the forks to pluck that rock out of the ground,
    otherwise, the forks nor the bucket would have been on the tractor.
    30 minutes earlier,, that rock was 50% in the earth.
    The submerged part of the rock has no moss.
    Levi and BetterThanATonka like this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 12:55 PM
    Thanks
    Forks work great for moving rocks. I was doing that earlier today with my 2305 and artillian forks. Just have to get the big ones all the way back on the forks so the leverage doesn't make it so the loader won't lift. Forks are great for positioning the rocks too since you can see what you are doing. I was working on a fir pit with boulders for seats around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the feedback. I was hoping to use this tractor to help build rock walls. So, I will be using every "trick of the trade" for moving and precision positioning.

Does anyone have recommendations of an online source for slings, chokers, etc. for this kind of work? And for tree work as well. I don't have (m)any good local sources - small town, in the middle of the Pacific.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:20 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Thanks for all the feedback. I was hoping to use this tractor to help build rock walls. So, I will be using every "trick of the trade" for moving and precision positioning.

Does anyone have recommendations of an online source for slings, chokers, etc. for this kind of work? And for tree work as well. I don't have (m)any good local sources - small town, in the middle of the Pacific.
    Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks <<Home>>
    5304, Levi and BetterThanATonka like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 56FordGuy For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (09-04-2016)

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    Thanks - I hadn't noticed they offered this type of rigging. Now, if only I knew how to use all that stuff safely and efficiently.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 09:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks - I hadn't noticed they offered this type of rigging. Now, if only I knew how to use all that stuff safely and efficiently.
    The green rope I use is the rope power company uses to install power lines.
    It comes on giant spools, a surplus company near me cuts, and sells 100 foot lengths.

That rope will stop my tractor, no problem.
    The rope and a bowline knot will do anything you want.

The rock in the pic was lifted using only the bowline knot, IIRC.

Gizmo2, 5304, Levi and 4 others like this.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CADplans For This Useful Post:

case4468646 (09-04-2016), Gizmo2 (09-04-2016), Jep (09-04-2016)

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast