Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Brand new 1025R misses and sputters when starting up

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 08:59 AM
    Thanks

Angry Brand new 1025R misses and sputters when starting up

I JUST took delivery of my brand new 2016 John Deere 1025R on Friday, September 2nd, 2016 .

$21,000 (with implements) and it misses and sputters EVERY time I start it when it has been sitting for a while. If I apply throttle, it sputters and misses more.

After it warms up for about 2 minutes, it seems to clear up .....

My neighbor has a 1026R, which I used extensively before buying mine.... same tractor but about 5 years older.... and his starts up without any sputtering whatsoever....

If mine starts and runs like CRAP in 80 degree, sunny weather..... what is it going to do when it is 10 degrees below zero this winter???!!! My neighbors starts up and runs smooth and strong in the dead of winter....

I am disappointed - I hope I don't have a lemon.

Yes - I have to call the dealer after the holiday weekend....

One thing that crossed my mind: The dealer left me with less than a 1/4 tank of gas. Is it possible the tractor sat around on the lot long enough that condensation/water got into what little gas was in the tank?

I have to get some diesel and fill it up to the top and find out, I guess.

Any thoughts? Anybody else have this issue and know of what fixed yours?

Thanks.
    Last edited by JoeFriday1979; 09-04-2016 at 07:30 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 07:22 PM
    Thanks
    Can you see the fuel filter on that? Should be a drain on it too. Try that to see if there is water. I'm surprised it didn't come with a full tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply,

It does have a visible fuel filter.... the guy who delivered the unit showed me this and said the 'red' mark at the bottom of the clear filter shroud should stay at the bottom....which it is. He said if there was water in the gas, the red mark would 'rise' vertically in the clear pane shroud to indicate such.

He started the tractor and unloaded it from the trailer while I was elsewhere.... so I never really heard it start until after he left.... and it was warmed up when I did, so I did not notice it right away.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    04-08-2018 @ 07:08 PM
    Thanks
    Mine did that too it has gone away with use. I don't remember when it stopped just noticed it wasn't doing it anymore. Just to make sure it only does it a couple of seconds right?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tim.bergfeld.3 For This Useful Post:

JoeFriday1979 (09-04-2016)

8. Top | #5
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,308 Times in 2,591 Posts
    The newer emissions compliant engines like the one in the 1025R tend to be a bit cold blooded. As long as it runs ok after a few minutes, don't worry about it. It's the nature of the beast.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    Did you get a block heater? I think you will need one for winter. Aside from that, these new engines tend to run rough for the first couple minutes. The manual says - "Set hand throttle lever to the 1/2 throttle position for 5 minutes without load." After that, idle speed should be 1575 ± 25 rpm.
    1025r TLB, 54" Bucket, R4 Tires (metal valve stems!) with Beet Juice, 60D Mower Deck - mechanical lift, 42" Titan Pallet Forks w/Bale spear, 54" ETA Box Blade, 72" ETA Landscape Rake, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks and Diff pedal extension, Piranha Tooth Bar and psrumor's Seat Springs

11. The Following User Says Thank You to W9GFO For This Useful Post:

12. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tim.bergfeld.3 View Post
    Mine did that too it has gone away with use. I don't remember when it stopped just noticed it wasn't doing it anymore. Just to make sure it only does it a couple of seconds right?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Yes... if I leave it run for, oh.... say 15 or 20 seconds, it seems to clear up. It is just a bit disconcerting....

13. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by W9GFO View Post
    Did you get a block heater? I think you will need one for winter. Aside from that, these new engines tend to run rough for the first couple minutes. The manual says - "Set hand throttle lever to the 1/2 throttle position for 5 minutes without load." After that, idle speed should be 1575 ± 25 rpm.
    Funny, I just read the 'starting instructions' in the manual when you replied with this..... I see that it says to start the engine with the throttle position at the 1/2 - 3/4 position, and then to return it to idle position and let run for 1 minute.

I was starting it in the idle position, thinking it would be bad for the motor to have the throttle cranked up when starting?!

I also notice that John Deere has the PTO listed as the Throttle in the manual..... um, I thought they'd be more professional than that. Also, the pictures look like photocopies of photocopies.... I know that has nothing to do with the mechanics of the tractor, but it isn't very professional looking from a company of their stature.

I will give it a start as recommended in the morning after it has been sitting cold all night.... see if that makes a difference.

You don't think starting it at 1/2 - 3/4 throttle will burn the engine up??

Oh.... and can you tell me more about the engine block heater .... how that works and what kind of cost? Thanks for your input! I appreciate it very much.
    Last edited by JoeFriday1979; 09-04-2016 at 08:03 PM.

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    My 1025R always grumbled at startup. Not a whimper from the previous 1023E.

I don't mean to sound condescending, but is your fuel petcock open?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 5304 For This Useful Post:

16. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    I actually read that in the 'troubleshooting' section under 'engine runs rough'.... they said a *possible* cause could be the fuel filter lever could be partially closed....

I don't think it is a condescending question at all, and appreciate your asking.... the guy that delivered the tractor showed me this lever and how to open/shut it when changing a filter, etc.... I believe he opened it back to the full-open position, but I will run out and double check to be sure.

Worth checking - thank you! I will run and check it now.
    5304, Levi and BigJim55 like this.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast