Is there much of a secondhand market for Deere belly mowers?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Is there much of a secondhand market for Deere belly mowers?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-01-2019 @ 10:58 AM
    Thanks

Is there much of a secondhand market for Deere belly mowers?

Last year, we bought the 1023e with the 54D autoconnect deck with manual lift. I absolutely hate the mower. I'm strongly considering switching to a rear finish mower, but the ability to do that depends completely on selling the 54D. However, I have no idea if there's a secondary market for the Deere belly mowers. The only indication I can see is that about one a year gets posted to the classifieds here with no indication that they ever sold, which suggests to me that it might be impossible to sell my deck. However, I'm sure there's some of you guys out there who look at used Deere equipment way more than I do and can give me a more realistic answer about this. Is selling the deck a viable option or am I likely to get pennies for it and have to wait a year or two to find a buyer?

Thanks for the help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:55 AM
    Thanks
    I want one... Just don't want to pay $$$ for it as I will only use it maybe 4 times a year.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    1025r FILB, 47" Snowblower, Front Blade, Quick Hitch

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 08:07 AM
    Thanks
    I see quite a few of them on Craigslist. Not many of the 54D's though. Mostly the 62" decks. They don't seem to sell quickly if they are selling. When they come up they are usually on there for a couple of months.
    Firehawkmph likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    11-09-2018 @ 06:41 PM
    Thanks
    What is it that you dislike about the deck? I'm not trying to be nosey, but I have seen several threads on here about mower decks that were not properly set up by the dealer that give guys fits, and that the cut is awful. However most of the info that I've read after setting them up properly says guys are really really fond of the 54 and love the cut. Just makes sense to me to make absolutely sure that you can't make if work for you before taking one heck of a loss on it, and then spending more money to boot.
    fdmars and Levi like this.
    1025R, 60"mmm with hydraulic lift option,H120 loader with 53" FEL bucket, 260 backhoe, JD ROPS lights with Artillian horse blinders, Kenny's bucket hooks and clevis attachment for backhoe, ROPS mounted LED light bars x 2, 54" everything attachments box blade, JD 655 tiller, 60" rear blade , piranha tooth bar, 3 pt drawbar and trailer mover,

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    05-03-2017 @ 12:49 PM
    Thanks
    I really like how my 60 inch mower cuts I can only imagine the 54 must cut nicer yet. But I agree with the above statement I think your deck may be set up improperly as mine was when I got it back from the dealer.
    KE8LW likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 05:04 AM
    Thanks
    I don't think there is much of a market for a used mmm as they are tractor specific . Only a person with a 10xx without a mmm would want one.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    01-01-2019 @ 10:58 AM
    Thanks
    It cuts well enough. Honestly, I only cut the grass so it looks like someone is taking care of the property and I hate every minute of it. I don't give a darn how nice of a result it leaves. The problem for me is that our tractor is 90% used for heavy work and only reluctantly used to mow the grass. The deck is so easy to damage if you leave it on the tractor while you do other things that we have to install it immediately before mowing and uninstall it immediately after. Regardless of what JD marketing says, the deck is not consistently easy to latch (and have it stay attached!) and drives me nuts on a regular basis. As delivered from the dealer, it was basically impossible to latch it back up. After following directions and advice here on GTT, I was able to improve the setup to the point that I typically can get it to latch within the first 5 tries but I really have to ram the thing to get the latch to close over the draft arms. Add to that the fact that the deck weighs enough that it's right on my physical limits (spinal problems) to move it out of the way in the barn and I'm just done. I want either a RFM or ZTR so I can get stop having to deal with getting the deck on and off the tractor each time I have to mow.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to williaty For This Useful Post:

Buchananj1956 (09-08-2016)

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Thanks
    When I see decks for sale I usually see manually mounted decks they are in the 1200+ and up range. I am sure you paid quite a bit more for your auto connect.

I see you are from Ohio. The mid-West is a good place to buy/sell used JD's and parts. I would put it on CL for a while and then Ebay. Be realistic about a price(something well less than full price as new) and you will get some bites. It is getting late in the season though to sell a deck. You may have more luck in the spring when folks are taking off the snow blowers and getting their decks ready. I see this deck as maybe enticing to someone buying new but not wanting to save some money with a used deck. My buddy did buy a 1023 without a MMM so it does happen, just not sure how fast an auto connect deck will sell.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 05:04 AM
    Thanks
    There is something wrong with the way your mmm is set up. It takes me under a minute to install or uninstall the mmm on my 1026R. The only time my mmm is on my tractor is when I'm mowing , for any other chore I take it off.
    bones and OldmanX like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

13. Top | #10
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:32 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    You shouldn't have to slam into your deck to get it to connect. Lets attack the real issue here and get you past the symptoms.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast