LED lightbar wiring question - how do connect wiring 'to the battery?'
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By theduke
  • 2 Post By ljnelson109
  • 2 Post By rrbattani

Thread: LED lightbar wiring question - how do connect wiring 'to the battery?'

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    184
    Thanks
    165
    Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts

    LED lightbar wiring question - how do connect wiring 'to the battery?'

    The dealer told me to run any 3rd party LED light wiring directly to the battery and to NOT use the accessory wiring in the back of the tractor. He said they are seeing several people melting their factory wiring for some reason, and it's expensive to repair.

    Anyway... how does a person attach an LED wiring harness 'to the battery?' Can anyone show me an actual photo of how this is accomplished, or provide a good explanation along with links to any possible termination connectors that attach to the battery posts or terminals?

    Any other cautionary advice would be appreciated. My brother tied his wiring harness into the hot wire of the factory wire going from the battery to the starter.... I believe that is what he said.

    But that sounds like it is dangerous some how - not that I know jack squat about electrical. But I am willing to learn. Thanks.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    theduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:12 PM
    Location
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Posts
    977
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 153 Times in 104 Posts
    This kit looks like what you need.

    Switch/relay/wire/fuse.

    I breezed through vid. but it looked right.

    I think there is a link to buy from ebay as well....?

    Last edited by theduke; 09-12-2016 at 11:44 PM.
    Levi, KE8LW and JoeFriday1979 like this.
    Dan


    JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

    47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

    Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theduke For This Useful Post:

    JoeFriday1979 (09-13-2016), KE8LW (09-13-2016)

  5. Top | #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:55 PM
    Location
    Dayton, MD
    Posts
    716
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 105 Times in 62 Posts
    If you want plug and play, that kit will give you everything in a nice clean package. As for a photo, I added a 2nd nut on the end of the bolt for the battery clamp and then just did a ring terminal on the end of the cable. This photo doesn't show the actual terminal but gives you the idea. I switched the full load for the LED lights since I bought switches that I felt comfortable handling the 6A load. The relay in the kit gives you the ability to safely draw up to the rating of the relay and the secondary wiring run to and from the relay.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160811_185331302.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	238346
    BBarn and JoeFriday1979 like this.
    2305, 200CX loader w/53" bucket, 62C MMM, and 47 SB.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to ljnelson109 For This Useful Post:

    JoeFriday1979 (09-13-2016)

  7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  8. Top | #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    184
    Thanks
    165
    Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ljnelson109 View Post
    If you want plug and play, that kit will give you everything in a nice clean package. As for a photo, I added a 2nd nut on the end of the bolt for the battery clamp and then just did a ring terminal on the end of the cable. This photo doesn't show the actual terminal but gives you the idea. I switched the full load for the LED lights since I bought switches that I felt comfortable handling the 6A load. The relay in the kit gives you the ability to safely draw up to the rating of the relay and the secondary wiring run to and from the relay.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160811_185331302.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	238346
    Thanks - so, basically you placed the 'ring terminal end' on the terminal bolt after the first secured 'nut'.... and then added a second nut on the end of the terminal bolt and tightened it down to your 'ring terminal end?'

    That makes sense to me... and you can probably do this with two different power wires for two different lightbars if you want, right?

    Does the negative wire go over to the negative terminal in the same way? Thanks.

  9. Top | #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    184
    Thanks
    165
    Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    This kit looks like what you need.

    Switch/relay/wire/fuse.

    I breezed through vid. but it looked right.

    I think there is a link to buy from ebay as well....?

    Thanks! Makes sense!!

  10. Top | #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:55 PM
    Location
    Dayton, MD
    Posts
    716
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 105 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeFriday1979 View Post
    Thanks - so, basically you placed the 'ring terminal end' on the terminal bolt after the first secured 'nut'.... and then added a second nut on the end of the terminal bolt and tightened it down to your 'ring terminal end?'

    That makes sense to me... and you can probably do this with two different power wires for two different lightbars if you want, right?

    Does the negative wire go over to the negative terminal in the same way? Thanks.
    That is exactly how I did the positive run. I ran a larger wire to where I installed my switches and then soldered a split connection to the switches.

    I chose to use the frame in the back for the ground wire. I did not use the ROPS for ground, in part because I didn't want to do any drilling on the ROPS. I ran it down to a bold on the frame but in the back of the tractor. There is some risk to that approach and a home run back to the battery is always optimal.

    Hope this helps.

    Lee
    2305, 200CX loader w/53" bucket, 62C MMM, and 47 SB.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to ljnelson109 For This Useful Post:

    JoeFriday1979 (09-13-2016)

  12. Top | #7
    rrbattani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:05 PM
    Location
    Runnells, IA
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    I find it hard to believe any led light would draw enough amps to cause a problem with the factory wiring. I installed a rear facing 55w halogen light into the aux rear harness, per the advice of my dealer, with no problems going on 4 years now.
    Levi and JoeFriday1979 like this.
    12' 1026R I-Match, Ballast box, 53" auto connect FEL, 60" auto connect MMM deck, 54" snow blower (Member since 9/2011, but deleted my old account after the data breach)

  13. Top | #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    184
    Thanks
    165
    Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rrbattani View Post
    I find it hard to believe any led light would draw enough amps to cause a problem with the factory wiring. I installed a rear facing 55w halogen light into the aux rear harness, per the advice of my dealer, with no problems going on 4 years now.
    Well, that was my impression too. I was a little surprised to hear him say that because it seems many on this board have used those auxiliary wires for exactly that purpose. Not being an electrician, I am easily scared off when it comes to these things. LOL....

    Do you have any pics of your install you would mind sharing?

  14. Top | #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Last Online
    08-28-2019 @ 10:36 AM
    Location
    Western PA - Butler County
    Posts
    470
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 123 Times in 78 Posts
    My 22" 120 watt LED bar is rated at 9.2 amps. I was shocked that it drew that much but then again it makes the night go away when you flip the switch on. LEDs don't draw that much but when you couple 40 of them together it adds up.
    Without data, you are just another man with an opinion.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1025r TLB
    - 54" MMM
    - 49" 120 FEL with Piranha tooth bar
    - 260 Backhoe with 12" and 16" Buckets
    - 5' County Line Box Blade
    - FSP700 Spreader

  15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •