Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: 1025R for weekly mowing????

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-09-2019 @ 07:53 AM
    Thanks

1025R for weekly mowing????

Quick question for you guys.....Purchasing a new 1025R next week. I plan the use the 1025R for my mowing around my property. There are some slopes on the property (hard to believe for FL) and really would like to know if the 1025R is suitable for this. I am currently using my X534 for mowing.
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:24 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,328 Times in 2,601 Posts
    The one series is an excellent mower. It doesn't provide commercial equipment quality of cut, but pretty darn good. They handle slope fairly well unless the slopes are pretty steep. If your X534 mowed the slopes ok, so will the 1025R. Scalping can be an issue when creating hills or crossing ditches, the 60D mower being even more noticeable than the 54". It's not an issue if you mow higher or change your mowing patterns to compensate. If the X has the same size deck, then the scalping (if it did) would be similar.

I mower my hilly property with a one series and was quite happy.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    The one series is an excellent mower. It doesn't provide commercial equipment quality of cut, but pretty darn good. They handle slope fairly well unless the slopes are pretty steep. If your X534 mowed the slopes ok, so will the 1025R. Scalping can be an issue when creating hills or crossing ditches, the 60D mower being even more noticeable than the 54". It's not an issue if you mow higher or change your mowing patterns to compensate. If the X has the same size deck, then the scalping (if it did) would be similar.

I mower my hilly property with a one series and was quite happy.
    Great info.....thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 04:45 AM
    Thanks
    Will your dealer bring one out for you to test drive on your own property? Mine did that with a used tractor before I decided on a 2305.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, Levi and 1 others like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    08-02-2019 @ 05:58 AM
    Thanks
    Excellent advice from dieselshadow.

Your biggest decision is which deck to purchase, the 54" or 60". There are some pros / cons to each. There are many threads to read here on the mower decks.

Both decks are dealer installed on your tractor. This installation & setup is critical to a quality cut as well as trouble free auto-connect operation. As diesel shadow stated, you'll need to set your gauge wheels correctly and you can read more about that here.

I currently mow with a 1025R and a 60" mmm. Most of my property is a slope, I have no issues.
    etcallhome, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    Tom

2010 JD LA115 mower w/bagger
    2011 JD 10P dump cart
    2016 JD 1025R TLB: H120 loader w/ 49" bucket - 260 BH w/12" bucket - 60D MMM w/auto PTO - iMatch Quick Hitch
    Heavy Hitch toothbar | Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks | Ken's Seat Springs | Ken's Diff Pedal | Edge Tamers
    Frontier 2048 Box blade | Frontier LR2060L Landscape Rake
    2016 Cyclone Rake model Z-10

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterThanATonka View Post
    Excellent advice from dieselshadow.

Your biggest decision is which deck to purchase, the 54" or 60". There are some pros / cons to each. There are many threads to read here on the mower decks.

Both decks are dealer installed on your tractor. This installation & setup is critical to a quality cut as well as trouble free auto-connect operation. As diesel shadow stated, you'll need to set your gauge wheels correctly and you can read more about that here.

I currently mow with a 1025R and a 60" mmm. Most of my property is a slope, I have no issues.
    Thanks guys...purchasing with a 60D mmm. My X534 has a 54C deck on it now and I think there probably won't be too much of a difference as far as the scalping I get in a few areas.

Good point diesel shadow......I have read this and it will be something I need to learn quickly. Even the deck on my X took time to set up and adjust properly.
    Levi, BigJim55 and Hershmeister like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    10-02-2019 @ 05:54 AM
    Thanks
    I have the 60D with autoconnect on my 1025R and a sloping ditch to the road on two sides of my lot along with other hilly areas. No problems and mows as good or better than my X475 it replaced with a 62" deck on it. I think you will be happy. Congrats on the purchase.
    RandyM, Levi and BigJim55 like this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 08:19 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drdenny View Post
    Thanks guys...purchasing with a 60D mmm. My X534 has a 54C deck on it now and I think there probably won't be too much of a difference as far as the scalping I get in a few areas.

Good point diesel shadow......I have read this and it will be something I need to learn quickly. Even the deck on my X took time to set up and adjust properly.
    You'll love it!

I cut with my deck at the max height and don't even lower the rockshaft so i get as close to a 4" cut that i can. I also lower the guidewheels fully. I rarely ever scalp

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    12-02-2018 @ 07:34 AM
    Thanks
    I mow weekly and have several slopes. Get the 60 deck the 54 doesn't extend from the wheel enough to make trimming easy.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hershmeister View Post
    You'll love it!

I cut with my deck at the max height and don't even lower the rockshaft so i get as close to a 4" cut that i can. I also lower the guidewheels fully. I rarely ever scalp
    I do the same -I just leave the mower in the up and locked position. I'd really like to be able to mow my pastures at 5" or higher but have to accept the deck's maximum height cut is 4 inches My biggest complaint with the 60" deck has nothing to do with how it mows. It's that the deck is so heavy and unwieldly it is hard to move around for storage. I bought a "Deck Dolly" with plans to store it vertically like they show on their web site, but I can't physically lift the deck by myself to do that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deckdolly2.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	238441

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast