Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: 1026R with 54D mower deck

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-13-2018 @ 06:33 AM
    Thanks

1026R with 54D mower deck

last year My 54D mower deck wasn't cutting level. I leveded it and re-leveled it. The right side blade cuts lower than the other 2. My dealer even took it back to their shop and releveled it. It still didn't fix the problem.
    I complained early spring of this year, they took the mower deck back in their shop and "Pressed it". It helped a little bit but now it's right back where it was. The lawn doesn't look that great after mowing either.
    The right side bearing assembly was also replaced.
    I checked w/my JD dealer for replacement, $1900 with new gear box and arm $1260 for the deck with out gear box and arms.
    Has anyone ran into this same situation?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks
    If everything else is good, tire pressures, linkages ect, then the deck should stay level. Check blades and observe them tip to tip. There should be very very lil if any offsets. When you recheck the deck after the crappy cut is it out of level? Or is it level but scalping on the right or left side? I've seen some warped decks, brand new ones, but they are very rare. Something is wrong.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    rtgt and Levi like this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:13 PM
    Thanks
    If an obstruction such as a tree root is hit it can often flex the deck around the spindle. They can be beat back into acceptable position but it's a little rugged on the paint job.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:59 AM
    Thanks

Mower deck

Place the deck on two 6 X 6 pieces of lumber on the best level ground you have, eg:garage floor. Take a ruler and you can now take measurements of the blades at all points in relation to the ground. Spin each blade past the ruler and see if there is a difference between each end and see if there is a differenc between both blades. If you use nice straight lumber, see if the deck is warped by how it sits on the 6 X 6's. Try and wobble the deck. Hope this helps.

Don
    Last edited by Firemark; 09-14-2016 at 05:12 AM.
    Levi and steveontheridge2 like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Try putting the right side blade on the left and see if it still does the same. Blade might be bent.
    rtgt likes this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    now that a tree root was mentioned, I do remember hitting a tree root. It hit so hard that it killed the engine. I couldn't get the tractor off of the root in 2 wheel drive, 4 wheel drive was required to back off the root.
    so my dealer must have noticed the twisted/flexed deck and pressed it back as best they could.? It's not from driving over the deck then, right?

I'm going to check the levelness tonight up on blocks.

since discovering the poor cutting on the right side, I've replace all 3 blades, the right spindle/bearing assembly....right and left blades have been swapped, I too thought it was a bent blade...
    tire pressures have been right on the money on all 4.
    Only 364 hrs on the 1026R.

Thanks for all the information folks.
    I'll let you know what the resolution is.
    Levi likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 672 Posts
    I straightened a bent deck once. The way I measured it was align the blade tips end to end, one was higher than the others. The spindle and bearings were perfectly fine, it had bent the sheet metal deck. I put a 10 foot long pipe in the spindle bore and kept pulling on it until the blade tips all cut the same height. And no banging on the deck and no damaged paint. And yeah, hitting things can definitely mess things up.
    Last edited by RandyM; 09-14-2016 at 09:21 AM.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:13 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyM View Post
    I straightened a bent deck once. The way I measured it was align the blade tips end to end, one was higher than the others. The spindle and bearings were perfectly fine, it had bent the sheet metal deck. I put a 10 foot long pipe in the spindle bore and kept pulling on it until the blade tips all cut the same height. And no banging on the deck and no damaged paint. And yeah, hitting things can definitely mess things up.
    Why do I feel like a cave man all the sudden? Sounds like a pretty elegant solution but I'm glad you tried it first. I would have thought there would be a risk of breaking the spindle casting. Seems to have a pretty high zinc content (pot metal) from the looks of them.
    RandyM, rtgt and Levi like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    Why do I feel like a cave man all the sudden? Sounds like a pretty elegant solution but I'm glad you tried it first. I would have thought there would be a risk of breaking the spindle casting. Seems to have a pretty high zinc content (pot metal) from the looks of them.
    Not sure I can answer your first question.

My thought is if it could take the impact that bent it, then it will take my corrective action technique. Though, it seems to me the risk is pretty low on breaking anything this way. I do not know the metal content of the components, I am thinking more an iron casting. Besides, I was not banging on it just applying enough force to get the sheet metal back into position. It work perfectly and the owner said that the deck had not cut so well in years.
    Levi likes this.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Randy M - I'll see what I can do about bending the deck back.....I'm known for breaking things, I don't think most stuff is build heavy enough these days.

jeff B- I had a little chuckly from your "Why do I feel like a caveman" comment....My thoughts exactly.

Thanks for all of your information.
    Levi likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast