Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: 1-Series 54D Center Anti-Scalp Roller

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:20 PM
    Thanks

1-Series 54D Center Anti-Scalp Roller

Like every other 1-series owner, when I first got my 54D mower, I missed the center roller on the mower deck. Of course, the good folks here at GTT had already been there, and many had solved it. So, I followed the lead of others and created my own center roller solution.

I finally got around to painting it this weekend, so we decided it would be a good time to put together a video showing how we made it so that others could do the same.
    It isn't much work, and it doesn't cost much at all.

My approach allows the roller to be released so that the auto-connect deck can be put firmly on the ground in the "install" position. I typically don't use this feature, but I THOUGHT I would when I added it.

The solution isn't perfect. I made a mistake, attempting to position one of the bolts in a way which didn't work. So, I had to drill an extra hole. Oh well, no harm done.
    Anyway, I hope you enjoy. The link to the roller I used is in the description.

(See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tractor Tim For This Useful Post:

BetterThanATonka (09-20-2016), Kickin_killa (07-01-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 11:49 AM
    Thanks
    Great idea. I just had my deck off to install my mulching kit and I was looking at installing a roller like my 318 and 430 had. Both of those decks seem to cut better than this new deck.
    Tractor Tim likes this.
    2016 1025r TLB, H120 loader with 53" bucket, Piranha tooth bar, Ken's hooks, 54" mechanical lift deck/auto connect & mulching kit, 260 backhoe with 12" bucket, Titan pallet forks, County line post hole auger
    1987 318, 50" deck

Reluctant member of hitting the Rops on the garage door TWICE
    (Gone but not forgotten) 1947 John Deere D, 1984 318, 1985 430
    Stihl MS290 20" bar
    Stihl FS110 Trimmer
    Stihl BR350 Backpack blower

99 Honda Foreman S

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 11:30 AM
    Thanks
    I'm one of your you tube viewers and had already seen it there. I like it a lot. Might have to try that on my 60D...
    Wayne

2016 1025 R (Mr. Green Genes)
    H-120 53" Front End Loader
    D-60 Mid Mount Mower
    Ken's Bolt on Hooks Combo Deal!!
    i-match quick hitch
    JD ballast box
    Heavy Hitch Receiver
    CMP Dethatcher
    TSC Middle Buster
    King Kutter 48" Rotary Cutter
    4' Tiller Country Way
    Extended Hook and adjustment pins

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    08-02-2019 @ 05:58 AM
    Thanks
    Tim, Thanks for the video & details.
    Tractor Tim likes this.
    Tom

2010 JD LA115 mower w/bagger
    2011 JD 10P dump cart
    2016 JD 1025R TLB: H120 loader w/ 49" bucket - 260 BH w/12" bucket - 60D MMM w/auto PTO - iMatch Quick Hitch
    Heavy Hitch toothbar | Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks | Ken's Seat Springs | Ken's Diff Pedal | Edge Tamers
    Frontier 2048 Box blade | Frontier LR2060L Landscape Rake
    2016 Cyclone Rake model Z-10

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 06:37 PM
    Thanks
    great job.. the lack of an center roller is one of the reasons I switched from a MMM to a rear finish mower.. With my 54D I used to get some nasty gouges in some area's of my yard..
    Tractor Tim and joshn3448 like this.
    2014 1023E - R4 Tires - H120 Loader - Ballast Box - Forward lighting kit with Artillian horse blinders - 48" Ratchet Rake Snow Edge - 42" HLA Forks
    2017 Z540R - 54" High Capacity Deck - Forward Lighting & Mulch Kit - 60" Farm King Rear Snow Blower

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:41 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    You know Christy makes you look good, right?!
    Kennyd and TJR345 like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    You know Christy makes you look good, right?!
    Of course! Why do you think I chose to put her in the 'thumbnail'?

I'm thankful that she is willing to spend time with me.

Tim
    Levi and TJR345 like this.
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    07-05-2019 @ 10:28 AM
    Thanks
    Very interesting. May need to do this mod some day if I ever get too fed up with scalping.
    Good work and thanks for sharing!
    Tractor Tim and TJR345 like this.
    1025R - 60" MMM, H120 FEL with Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar, 48" Box Blade, HF Quick Hitch

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 05:52 PM
    Thanks

JD Auto Connect Anti Scalp Modification

Quote Originally Posted by timmarks View Post
    Of course! Why do you think I chose to put her in the 'thumbnail'?

I'm thankful that she is willing to spend time with me.

Tim
    Tim,

It's obvious Christy is your soul mate, you work great together.

Thanks for the "fix" you invented for auto connect decks. I took delivery of a new 1025R in early Nov. and already found the problem of scalping in my front yard on the only slightly uneven area of 2 acres. Very sad development and poor engineering for the price point they ask.

I ordered the Stens roller yesterday and will work on the project this winter while the deck is removed for winter storage and the front blade in installed for snow removal. I did wonder if you considered trying to spring load the roller apparatus to allow movement when removing the deck so the weight of the tractor on top of the deck depressed a spring loaded assembly allowing it to be placed lower as you discussed in the video without having to remove the roller? I don't know if there is room to do this but thought of it while viewing your you tube presentation. Great job on that by the way. It is very helpful. I realized there was a problem but had not gone through the process of thinking it through like you did.

I enjoy your entire compendium of videos and suggestions for the 1 series operation. Glad you enjoy doing this as it is a service to the rest of us out here in JD Series 1 land, new owners who don't have your background or experience.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving Day and tell Christy Hi from all of us fans here in You Tube land.
    2016 John Deere 1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM Auto Connect, 54" Hydraulic Articulating Front Blade w/ Blade Extensions, 42" Land Pride Tiller, Seat Spring Upgrades by KennyD, 42 Gallon Fimco Sprayer w/ Greenleaf Asymetrical Nozzles and 12' spray boom, Poulan 14" Chain Saw, Edge R Rite Lawn Edger, Echo SM-225 String Trimmer.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to srsvii For This Useful Post:

Tractor Tim (11-24-2016)

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by srsvii View Post
    Tim,

It's obvious Christy is your soul mate, you work great together.

Thanks for the "fix" you invented for auto connect decks. I took delivery of a new 1025R in early Nov. and already found the problem of scalping in my front yard on the only slightly uneven area of 2 acres. Very sad development and poor engineering for the price point they ask.

I ordered the Stens roller yesterday and will work on the project this winter while the deck is removed for winter storage and the front blade in installed for snow removal. I did wonder if you considered trying to spring load the roller apparatus to allow movement when removing the deck so the weight of the tractor on top of the deck depressed a spring loaded assembly allowing it to be placed lower as you discussed in the video without having to remove the roller? I don't know if there is room to do this but thought of it while viewing your you tube presentation. Great job on that by the way. It is very helpful. I realized there was a problem but had not gone through the process of thinking it through like you did.

I enjoy your entire compendium of videos and suggestions for the 1 series operation. Glad you enjoy doing this as it is a service to the rest of us out here in JD Series 1 land, new owners who don't have your background or experience.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving Day and tell Christy Hi from all of us fans here in You Tube land.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

We REALLY appreciate your comments. We are very thankful for our family, and for the relatively new friends we've made here and on youtube.
    Levi, BigJim55 and bama1025r like this.
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements