• 3 Post By Earthling
  • 1 Post By JKR

Thread: Best Blade for Thin Grass

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 08:56 PM
    Thanks

Best Blade for Thin Grass

I have a 1025r with a 60D deck. My lawn is fairly full but whatever type of grass tends to be thinner and more flexible. Unless I go slower than I'd like I get some grass that either gets flattened by the tires or just lays down and doesn't get cut well. Is there a style blade that would work better than the stock blades?

P.S. even after sharpening the blades I get this.

Thanks,
    Dean

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,668 Times in 1,263 Posts
    It sounds like you could use a high lift blade.
    Superglidesport likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 07:30 PM
    Thanks
    Our old house had grass like that. Sharp high lift blades, mowing when the grass is dry will help a lot as well. Make opposing passes, if you are making wide race track passes then try to work your pattern such that every other cutting row is an approach from the opposite direction with enough overlap that you can pass over your old tire tracks in the opposite direction. For me this means I am doing a loop at some point to make those opposite passes, I usually do this in the driveway once in the middle of the cutting cycle. I do all clockwise rows then all counter clockwise, this allows grass that was flattened time to recover and stand back up if that makes sense. (pre-coffee explanation)
    Superglidesport, JKR and keane like this.

1025 R FILB * Tektite Heated Cab * 54" Snowblower * Artillian 42" Forks * Artillian Grapple * Artillian Front Hoe * TSC 5' Box Blade * TSC 6' rear scraper blade * 60" MMM * Kens BOH

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    JKR
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:41 AM
    Thanks
    Get a high lift blades and go slow. The problem I had with my 1025R was the tractor was to heavy. The tire would push the grass down to far and the blades could not lift the grass up fast enough to get a good cut.
    I stop using the 1025R and got a Zero turn mower. The Zero turn mower cuts faster and better than my 1025R .
    Superglidesport likes this.
    3033R, HST, 3SVC, 60" heavy bucket with replaceable blade, H165 loader, Trans and engine heater, 60" tow behind mower.
    hydraulic top link, Line kit, 72" hydraulic power angle plow, JD pallet forks, 60" box blade, 60" scraper,
    72" rear rake, Homemade rock bucket, Post hole digger.Piranha Tooth Bar, Ballast box, rear chains,

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 08:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions. I guess the OEM blades that came with the mower weren't high lift enough. Shopping I go.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements