Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Poor Cut Using 54" MMM with Mulching Kit

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-14-2018 @ 10:50 AM
    Thanks

Poor Cut Using 54" MMM with Mulching Kit

I've had my 1025r about a year now and at the beginning of the summer season I added a mulching kit to my 54" mowing deck. Once I added the mulching parts I noticed that after I make a pass there are often blades of grass that go uncut in the middle of the pass. At first I thought it was just me so I adjusted height, mowing speeds, RPM, and everything else I could think of to be sure I wasn't doing anything wrong. Yesterday I mowed and I was again frustrated by grass seemingly in the middle of the deck not being cut. I was mowing at walking speed at the recommended PTO RPM and still had issues.

When I installed the mulching kit I didn't notice any problems putting anything on. I had the issue most run into with the bolts not biting into the plastic shroud very well but I was able to work around it and get everything tight.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be going on or what I should check?
    BigJim55 and ErikR like this.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to willtel For This Useful Post:

Cbrown06 (09-21-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    10-17-2019 @ 03:59 PM
    Thanks
    Is it possible to accidentally flip a blade around on these decks? I don't remember how it interfaces with the bolt and spindle. Point is, check the easy stuff.
    2015 1025R w/ H120 Loader, 60D MMM AutoConnect, 54" QH Snowblower & Titan Pallet Forks

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:09 PM
    Thanks
    Not sure what the issue could be but my 54D with mulching kit mows great and no row in the middle like you describe. I had mine installed by the dealer.
    2015 1025R FILB, iMatch, 53" Bucket, 54D Mower Deck, 54" Snow Blower, Heavy Hitch Dual Suitcase Weight Bracket, Heavy Hitch Front Weight Bracket, EA 48" Plugger, Garber 48" 3 point Seeder, Kens bolt on hooks, CountyLine (Tarter Gate) 60" box blade, Kenda Terra Trac HDAP tires (front and rear), CozyCab Sunshade, TSC CountyLine (Tarter) 48" yellow rototiller, BXPanded 25 gallon 3PH sprayer.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
    Is it possible to accidentally flip a blade around on these decks? I don't remember how it interfaces with the bolt and spindle. Point is, check the easy stuff.

It's very easy to install the blade upside down........

Correct... with cutting edge on right side of blade for clockwise rotation....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF7514.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	241506

Incorrect... upside down. ... cutting edge on back side of blade, blunt edge won't cut much grass....

Name:	DSCF7515.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	241514

The above blade is a J-D #M145516 mulching blade as included with the J-D mulching kit.

FYI, I have no issues with uncut grass with my J-D kit .... ?

OP, make sure the center blade is oriented correctly. Bevel side up
    Gizmo2 and BigJim55 like this.
    2014 1025R, H120 loader w/53" bucket and Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar, 54" Auto Connect MMM, 47" QH snow blower, Ballast box and loaded rear tires, Speeco Quick Hitch, Ken's Bolt-on Grab Hooks, King Kutter Carry All, 54" front QH blade w/Heavy Hitch skids, Titan 36" pallet forks, Land Pride GS0560 Grading Scraper, and chrome (kitchen drain pipe) exhaust tip!!

1950 Allis-Chalmers B, Electric start, PTO, Belt Pulley, Hydraulic pump. Stuck engine (a work in progress)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by willtel View Post
    I've had my 1025r about a year now and at the beginning of the summer season I added a mulching kit to my 54" mowing deck. Once I added the mulching parts I noticed that after I make a pass there are often blades of grass that go uncut in the middle of the pass. At first I thought it was just me so I adjusted height, mowing speeds, RPM, and everything else I could think of to be sure I wasn't doing anything wrong. Yesterday I mowed and I was again frustrated by grass seemingly in the middle of the deck not being cut. I was mowing at walking speed at the recommended PTO RPM and still had issues.

When I installed the mulching kit I didn't notice any problems putting anything on. I had the issue most run into with the bolts not biting into the plastic shroud very well but I was able to work around it and get everything tight.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be going on or what I should check?

If the center blade is correctly installed, all I can add is go slow, at max RPM, on a dry lawn. Remember to cut more often, and don't expect perfect cuts when taking off lots of over grown grass.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2014 1025R, H120 loader w/53" bucket and Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar, 54" Auto Connect MMM, 47" QH snow blower, Ballast box and loaded rear tires, Speeco Quick Hitch, Ken's Bolt-on Grab Hooks, King Kutter Carry All, 54" front QH blade w/Heavy Hitch skids, Titan 36" pallet forks, Land Pride GS0560 Grading Scraper, and chrome (kitchen drain pipe) exhaust tip!!

1950 Allis-Chalmers B, Electric start, PTO, Belt Pulley, Hydraulic pump. Stuck engine (a work in progress)

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    I'm pretty sure I installed the blades correctly and I re-checked them when I threw a belt a few weeks ago because of a sweetgum ball on the deck (I hate those trees) but I will have another look.

Does anyone run the original blades with the mulching plug in place? What about aftermarket Gator blades?

This is what I used to get without the mulcher. The lawn isn't nearly that thick now after the summer heat.

Cutting by willtel, on Flickr

Grass by willtel, on Flickr
    BigJim55 likes this.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Beautiful looking place you got there...

If you're cutting off that much at one time, I can see why it's not cutting very cleanly. Cutting off that much lush, thick grass with any mower equipped with a mulching kit is asking a lot of it!! Even my push mower will make a mess if asked to cut that much in one pass. Without the mulching kit the cut grass has a place to go as you cut it. Adding the kit requires you to view cutting your lawn differently... as in more often, so the amount cut off at one time is less... if you want it to work right!

Try cutting that much off in a few passes. Raise the deck a a few clicks, cut once, then lower the deck to the final height and cut again.

Good luck, and nice lawn!!
    HydroHarold and BigJim55 like this.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    I wish the lawn still looked like that, the hot summer pretty much killed it. The picture above was after a week of vacation in the spring and I was unable to cut it for about 9 days, I don't let it get that long if I can help it.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    07-16-2019 @ 11:29 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikR View Post
    It's very easy to install the blade upside down........

Correct... with cutting edge on right side of blade for clockwise rotation....

Name:	DSCF7514.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	241506

Incorrect... upside down. ... cutting edge on back side of blade, blunt edge won't cut much grass....

Name:	DSCF7515.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	241514

The above blade is a J-D #M145516 mulching blade as included with the J-D mulching kit.

FYI, I have no issues with uncut grass with my J-D kit .... ?

OP, make sure the center blade is oriented correctly. Bevel side up
    Is that the correct blade? I just installed mine last weekend and your look different. I will me up there next weekend Oct1. I'll take some pictures for you.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    JD
    2016-1025R
    H120 Loader
    54"MMM W/Mulching Kit
    647 Tiller

Power Beyond Kit Dealer Installed
    Quick Hitch
    Ballast Box
    Titan 42" Forks
    Agri-Fab 175-Pound Tow Broadcast Spreader
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    More to add as needed.

Added:
    Ken's Bolt On Hooks
    Diff Pedal Extension
    Oblong Ring Sling

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    10-17-2019 @ 03:59 PM
    Thanks
    !! Do share your lawncare regiment
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2015 1025R w/ H120 Loader, 60D MMM AutoConnect, 54" QH Snowblower & Titan Pallet Forks

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast