1025R with 60D Mid Mount Mower Deck - Brand new with problems on 3rd mowing of lawn.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: 1025R with 60D Mid Mount Mower Deck - Brand new with problems on 3rd mowing of lawn.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Thanks

Angry 1025R with 60D Mid Mount Mower Deck - Brand new with problems on 3rd mowing of lawn.

Sigh...... So the second time I mowed my yard, which is roughly 1 1/4 acres of grass.... I noticed a 'very slight'.... and I do mean subtle, 'Clatter' when I turned the PTO off. I didn't think much of it as it was VERY minimal. Probably made the sound of 2 seconds after shutting the PTO off.

Got out the 1025R yesterday (my 3rd mowing) and mowed about half of my lawn when all-of-a-sudden, I hear this Gawd Awful metal sounding clatter under the mower deck. I immediately turned the PTO off and the sound disappeared.

I turned the PTO back on and 'boom'.... the metallic clatter instantly started again.

I then turned it back of and on quickly... and same thing, so I turned off the PTO and drove my new, unusable tractor back into my polebarn.

Walked up the hill to the neighbors house and borrowed his 1026R and finished the job.

I did look under the tractor at the 'auto-connect' mechanism and the driveshaft and it appeared to me that everything was 'in-line' from a visual inspection. But, then again, I don't know much about it.

I did read another post about making sure that the deck and the tractor were in alignment when you installed the mid mount auto connect mower.

Thing is: My tractor was delivered to me with the mower already installed, and I have not taken it off since delivery. So, any screw-up is on them, not me.

Any ideas what might have gone wrong? I am calling the dealer tomorrow morning and having them come pick it up. I am not so sure about JD's quality control.... first, it's panels that fit about as well as a 1975 Chevy... which cannot be adjusted to anything close to visual acceptability... and now the mower goes to heck on the 3rd mowing. I am trying to remain calm, but must admit I am a bit frustrated. I want to be a proud owner and enjoy my purchase... bottom line.

Also: Just an observation.... but I think both the 54" Auto Connect and the 60" Auto Connect decks cut grass poorly. After cutting with mine... and finishing with my neighbors 54" deck... there is a LOT of grass strands that stick up all over the yard like the decks sort of 'blew the grass down' and didn't 'lift and cut'.... reminded me of the bad haircuts I got from my mom as a kid. My John Deere X340 54" deck cut far better.

I will say, that when I was looking at sub-compact tractors, the Kubota Dealer said that he questioned the 'auto-connect' system of JD.... said that the PTO Shaft used half as many 'splines' as the Kubota. He wasn't sure if that allowed for some 'slop' or 'wiggle room' when the driving over the mower to connect the deck to the tractor or what.... Kubota has a auto connect function, but it seems very clunky and much more difficult to use than JD's. Almost like an engineering after-thought. But, they do use more splines on the PTO shaft which would seem to my simple mind to make for a more secure connection??

Curious what thoughts you all might have on what went haywire with the mowing deck??? Thanks.
    Last edited by JoeFriday1979; 09-25-2016 at 06:44 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    bob
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:53 PM
    Thanks
    JF....Let the dealer fix it. Did you engage/disengage the pto at low idle? Concerning the poor cut quality....I had a 455 that did that after I messed up and put on one of the blades upside down. That might be the problem. Good luck in getting everything working properly.
    HydroHarold likes this.
    2011 John Deere 1026R
    H120 FEL with 53 inch bucket
    60D Auto-Connect mower deck
    54 inch snowblower
    647 tiller
    i-match
    Heavy Hitch
    TuffTop
    Ken's bolt on hooks
    ballast box
    wheel weights
    steering wheel spinner knob

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    04-26-2019 @ 06:43 PM
    Thanks
    When you engage the deck, are the blades turning or not? The auto connect adapter on the deck gearcase input shaft might have come loose and is spinning on the shaft or could be stripped. Might be an internal failure in the gearcase. Have you checked to see if one of the blade nuts might have come loose and the blade is causing the noise? As for leaving sprigs of grass, I have not had any complaints from customers at our location. The first couple we sold, I had to go back and readjust the deck level linkage but after that, I knew the tricks to get them adjusted correctly during initial setup. I Have a 1025 w/60D and have noticed the higher I cut, the quality doesn't seem to be as good. Speed also plays a factor.
    HydroHarold, Levi, KE8LW and 1 others like this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Billy Cravens For This Useful Post:

JoeFriday1979 (09-25-2016)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    JF....Let the dealer fix it. Did you engage/disengage the pto at low idle? Concerning the poor cut quality....I had a 455 that did that after I messed up and put on one of the blades upside down. That might be the problem. Good luck in getting everything working properly.
    I am certain I had the throttle at low idle, or very close to it... I know the manual calls for low rpm engagement/disengagement.... but I can't be certain the exact rpm. If it was not 'quite' at the exact specified rpm, would that cause damage?

If so.... what would happen if the mower was running at operating speed rpm, and you moved enough in your seat that the seat safety switch deactivated the mower? Wouldn't that essentially be the same as disengaging the PTO at too high a recommended RPM?

That might be a good case for eliminating the seat safety switch? To protect your equipment?
    Levi likes this.

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Cravens View Post
    When you engage the deck, are the blades turning or not? The auto connect adapter on the deck gearcase input shaft might have come loose and is spinning on the shaft or could be stripped. Might be an internal failure in the gearcase. Have you checked to see if one of the blade nuts might have come loose and the blade is causing the noise? As for leaving sprigs of grass, I have not had any complaints from customers at our location. The first couple we sold, I had to go back and readjust the deck level linkage but after that, I knew the tricks to get them adjusted correctly during initial setup. I Have a 1025 w/60D and have noticed the higher I cut, the quality doesn't seem to be as good. Speed also plays a factor.
    I am not sure if the blades were turning or not when I re-engaged the PTO after the initial noise occurred ... when I heard the clattering noise, I shut off the PTO... and then re-engaged the PTO; I did so for just a split second to see if the noise was an aberration... when it clattered upon re-engagement, I immediately shut it off again and drove it back to my pole barn.

I didn't look underneath the deck at all after that.... I just borrowed my neighbors mower and finished the job.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 09:03 PM
    Thanks
    Check to make sure the blades are install correctly. It is possible to install & tighten a blade without it being installed over the spindle shoulder. It happened to me.
    I mowed at least once with it that way. The second time I mowed with it, it started making the clanging noise. I took the deck off & found 2 blades were hitting against each other . I installed the blade correctly & the problem when away.
    HydroHarold, Levi and keane like this.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisR For This Useful Post:

JoeFriday1979 (09-26-2016)

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 05:53 PM
    Thanks
    Check to see if the set screw holding the spline on the gearbox is firmly attached. Mine worked loose and had to be reattached and held in with locktite. No problems since then
    Levi likes this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hershmeister For This Useful Post:

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 08:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    From the sounds of it you could have one or more problems. Blades, spindles, drive shaft, auto connect, gear box. These are also easy to check but you have to or should take the deck off to do so. Seeing as you already called your dealer I'd let him check it but would want to know what it was and how it was fixed.
    HydroHarold, Ray_PA and papaw1962 like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Levi For This Useful Post:

15. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 02:19 PM
    Thanks
    Hi JoeFriday 1979
    Let the dealer sort out the problem with the deck. As far as the Kabota dealers statement "the Kubota Dealer said that he questioned the 'auto-connect' system of JD.... said that the PTO Shaft used half as many 'splines' as the Kubota " This is only sales spin, if it was a problem I dare say there would be plenty of postings on this site, " 'slop' or 'wiggle room' " has more to do with fit tolerance and spline engagement length than the number of splines.
    Regards John
    HydroHarold, Levi, JKR and 1 others like this.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to John 54 For This Useful Post:

17. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Dealer is picking it up within the hour.... I will let you all know what the outcome is. They have been very helpful thus far, so I think they will take good care of the issue.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast